• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need Service for Lyman 12x Super Targspot

justapod

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Missouri, United States
I have a Lyman 12x Super Targspot that is good optically and cosmetically it is complete and the cross hairs are in good shape the mounts need to be serviced and I would like to have the scope cleaned up and checked out. It belonged to an old friend who died a couple of years ago. I bought the scope and his 1968 30'06 Winchester Mdl 70 from the estate. I would like to put them back on the line and remember a mentor. This is a sentimental project. Jim used to shoot the Wimbledon at Perry with this setup. I have heard that Parson's is no longer reliable with turnaround times in excess of one year and very poor communications since Gil died. Where do I look?

The mounts are frozen up with gummy, sticky, varnish but no visible rust. I have thought about some Kroil soak and gently getting things moving again. My concern is I have zero experience with what is inside and how it all goes together. How much force is too much? What should I not do? I think a good gentle cleaning might set it all to right. I think in his later years Jim would spray stuff with WD40 when he thought about it and put it away. I also picked up a 5 inch S&W Mdl 29 with the cylinder frozen from his estate. I soaked it with some Kroil and applied a few scientific whacks with rawhide mallet and viola! I stripped it to all its several parts gave it a good cleaning re-assembled and it was great. I remember shooting this rifle with him at the range back in the late 80's with iron sights which we never did find while going through his stuff. I have not seen this scope up and running but it looks like everything is there including the recoil spring and it is in a factory metal box.

Iron Sight is not too far away about 150 miles to Tulsa. I will shoot them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have used Iron Sight in the past and was extremely satisfied with the repair and turn around time, but I must admit its been a few years.

Thanks looks like I am going to give them a try.

Where are you in MO? I have had a lot of experience with the Lymans and I might be able to help you out.

I am also a big fan of Model 29's (hence my screen name) and would love to see the 5" gun

Last edited: