• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need Service for Lyman 12x Super Targspot

justapod

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Missouri, United States
I have a Lyman 12x Super Targspot that is good optically and cosmetically it is complete and the cross hairs are in good shape the mounts need to be serviced and I would like to have the scope cleaned up and checked out. It belonged to an old friend who died a couple of years ago. I bought the scope and his 1968 30'06 Winchester Mdl 70 from the estate. I would like to put them back on the line and remember a mentor. This is a sentimental project. Jim used to shoot the Wimbledon at Perry with this setup. I have heard that Parson's is no longer reliable with turnaround times in excess of one year and very poor communications since Gil died. Where do I look?

The mounts are frozen up with gummy, sticky, varnish but no visible rust. I have thought about some Kroil soak and gently getting things moving again. My concern is I have zero experience with what is inside and how it all goes together. How much force is too much? What should I not do? I think a good gentle cleaning might set it all to right. I think in his later years Jim would spray stuff with WD40 when he thought about it and put it away. I also picked up a 5 inch S&W Mdl 29 with the cylinder frozen from his estate. I soaked it with some Kroil and applied a few scientific whacks with rawhide mallet and viola! I stripped it to all its several parts gave it a good cleaning re-assembled and it was great. I remember shooting this rifle with him at the range back in the late 80's with iron sights which we never did find while going through his stuff. I have not seen this scope up and running but it looks like everything is there including the recoil spring and it is in a factory metal box.

Iron Sight is not too far away about 150 miles to Tulsa. I will shoot them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have used Iron Sight in the past and was extremely satisfied with the repair and turn around time, but I must admit its been a few years.

Thanks looks like I am going to give them a try.

Where are you in MO? I have had a lot of experience with the Lymans and I might be able to help you out.

I am also a big fan of Model 29's (hence my screen name) and would love to see the 5" gun

Last edited: