• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some advice on magnification to 1000 yards

Jcas2012

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Florida
I did some searching and found one thread that briefly touches on this. However the main answer I found was get what suites you. Well, the furthest I have shot is 600 yards with 10 power and it was just fine. However I now have the capability and equipment to shoot out to 1000 yards here at the range. I will be buying a new scope for my new 700 but was wondering if I really do need more than 10x at 1000 yards. I am here in SW Florida so I know mirage will probably be a pain most of the time with high magnification. I am trying to decide between a Mark 4 6.5-20 or 3.5-10. If 10x is all I need, I will be glad to save the couple hundred bucks.
Like I said, I have no idea what will be best because I have not shot that far before and am about to learn.

I figure if I buy the 3.5-10 I can always put that on my next long range ar-15 build and upgrade to the 6.5-20? I also have a 338LM build I would like to do at some point but would like to put nicer glass on it such as a Nightforce. But, for now with this particular rifle a Leupold is about as much as I can afford. What do you guys think?

I will be shooting paper/steel and occasionally hunting some varmints with it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

Re: Need some advice on magnification to 1000 yards

I would go with the 6.5-20. 10x just doesn't cut it, especially if your shooting paper or small varmints.

I had a 10x the first few times I visited a 1000 yard range. I quickly changed that to a 22x. Yes you can shoot 1000 with a 10x but its so much better at 16x and above, On the same token I don't feel you need to go too crazy either. 16x-24x max seems to be fine. My opinion

A scope that will do 20x is great and what I would suggest.

If mirage becomes an issue just dial it back a few to deal with it. In high mirage conditions I often find my scope dialed back to 16 or 17x. Not a big deal to me it is still much easier than 10x at distance.

10x works but it just makes you work much harder. Your prescription has to be right on also, any corrective error will cause major problems at 10x that would not at higher mag..

When shooting at longer distances you will find that the amount of magnification you have has much less to do with things while glass clarity is paramount. People shoot to the 1000 yard mark with iron sights, but this takes a lot of skill and good eyes. I took my 308 out to 1100 with a 4x scope the other day and while this was not the best tool for the task at hand it did work. Also the military used 10x scopes for many years with great success. So yes a quality 10x scope is more then enough. However if you are varmint hunting or looking to keep sub MOA groupings at 1000 yards then 10x might not be the best option.

So what is your intended purpose for the rifle? It is one thing to involved in tactical/practical shooting and another to be involved in F-class. When selecting the correct scope for you your intended application is the biggest factor in the decision.

Well, this is the only 1000 yard rifle I now own so for now it it is going to be my all around go to gun. It's main purpose is tactical/practical shooting. I would like to try and get into some long range steel matches at the range. F class competition would also be something fun to get into but I have a long ways to go before I will be able to compete even at that level.

Looks like I should save up the extra for the 20x.

I have shot 600 yards with a Bushnell 3200 tactical elite in 10x and it was fine. When I started shooting 1000 yards I went up to a 24x because the cross hairs were so thick that it makes placement on the black a bit tough. I have also learned that the wind it a bigger factor than how precisely I put the cross hairs on the black. I suggest the higher magnification for comfort but it won't necessarily help you get in the black unless you are proficient at reading the wind. I would shoot with what you have and while at the range or a match talk to other shooters and ask to look down-range through their scope and get an idea of the difference between magnification and different brands. I love my Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24x50 ffp mil/mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When shooting at longer distances you will find that the amount of magnification you have has much less to do with things while glass clarity is paramount. People shoot to the 1000 yard mark with iron sights, but this takes a lot of skill and good eyes. I took my 308 out to 1100 with a 4x scope the other day and while this was not the best tool for the task at hand it did work. Also the military used 10x scopes for many years with great success. So yes a quality 10x scope is more then enough. However if you are varmint hunting or looking to keep sub MOA groupings at 1000 yards then 10x might not be the best option.

So what is your intended purpose for the rifle? It is one thing to involved in tactical/practical shooting and another to be involved in F-class. When selecting the correct scope for you your intended application is the biggest factor in the decision.</div></div>

+1

I have been wondering the same thing. I have found that glass quality starts to make a huge difference past 300 yds. My premier 15x is much easier to use at 300 than my trijicon 20x was.....I'd say get a used night force or ior.

For shooting paper and targets at known distances a good quality 10X is probably enough. I've shot only irons for all my long range shooting(palma). I think shooting unknown or ranging anything with mildots would be more accurate if you had something with more power at least 20X. my spotting scope is 20x and I think mirage would start to be and issue beyond 20x.

Arborpro

I would suggest more than 10x mag for target shooting at 1000yds, yes it can be done with 10x but its alot easier with more mag.

So would you guys take an F1 or the 5.5-22x56 when it comes to Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So would you guys take an F1 or the 5.5-22x56 when it comes to Nightforce. </div></div>

Depends on your need. I shoot 99% of the time from a bench at known distance targets so the 5.5-22 (SFP) fits my needs. If you shoot tactical comps. with unknown distance targets then the F1 (FFP) would be the better choice. Theres no right or wrong, just right for what you need.

5.5-22 works great for me, I have taken shots with a 10X at 1000 but its not easy to be precise.

I am in SW Florida also. May I ask what range you have the 1000 yard option? It's tough to find that around these parts without a few hour drive. Thanks.

JCas45,

I just learned some valuable lessons this past August. One, I opted for too much power out to ranges extending way beyond 1000 yds. I have a 12-42x56 NXS Nightforce scope. I didn't need/couldn't use that much power. <span style="color: #3333FF">Edit: Two, because of the high power, the big problem is is it doesn't have enough elevation adjustment to shoot those extended ranges. </span> Fortunately for me, the scope is a 2fp and the reticle gets larger on the target as power is decreased. That gave me enough elevation dialed all the way down to 12x and the scope cranked all the way up and holding over by quite a bit to hit at one mile. When I got back to Minnesota, I realized I should have taken the ST-10 USO with enough travel to hold point of aim-point of impact. Both scopes have plenty of clarity at 10x or 12x to hit steel AT 1k or 1 mile.

The real reason I bought the NF was so that I had a precision benchrest rifle @ 1000 yds. Therein lies the difference. If you are looking for good groups/consistent hits @ 1k then 10x is fine. For getting as many X's as you can, anywhere above 20x in a good scope is a great place to start.

Edit:

The guys I shot with had 3.5-17x? and 5.5-22x NF's The internal elevation travel/adjustment was critical to their success.

If you have more magnification you can use it if you want. If 10x is the top thats all the higher you get to go. Guess if you havent ever had you you are not missing it.

I like options so most of my stuff that goes long has 12x or more at the top end.

25x ffp for 1k , you can always back em down but you cant turn em up if you dont have the top end mag.another important point is if you have ffp and are toped out on zoom you will be loseing the lower part of you reticle hash holds so you will have to back down power to get whole reticle in fov if your gonna shoot straight holds no dial for switching targets rapidly

2nd.for instance if i shoot waaay long i need 22 mils , i only got 12 mils total travel and on max zoom i only show 5 mils in ret. so i gotta back off power to get the rest of my hash hold "10 mils" this is extreme scenario.