• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some advise on Horus

CRod

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2020
I am pretty new to long range rifle shooting, purchased a RPR gen 3 in 6.5 and put an Athlon scope on it. Not a bad scope for the money. I don't think its a good enough scope to shoot 1000 yards which is my goal. I am strongly considering buying the package (HOVR I believe) that Horus offers for $1700 that includes the scope, range finder, weather "meter" and a free down load of the ballistic app. I have read a lot of good about that Tremor reticle that is in the scope but have had trouble finding reviews on the particular scope that comes in the "package" Does anyone have any experience with this product? I am also open to any advice on other products. This just seems like a VERY good price for what is included but it's still enough money that I would like some advice before I spend it.

Reactions: fragmatic
Opinions on the Tremor reticle vary widely. Some people love and some hate it. I am strongly in the latter camp and I think Tremor3 is just a bad idea. Now, a lot of people use it just fine, so it is clearly usable, but any mrad tree reticle works in kind of the same way and most of the other ones manage to do it without all the unnecesary crap of Tremor3.

HOVR is a very nice $800 scope. I am not sure I'd pay $1700 for it even with the accessories.

If you are really dead set on trying one of Horus mosquito nets, there are better platforms for it.

As far as what you can get in a similar price range, I'd be looking at Delta Stryker 4.5-30x56, Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56, Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56, Tract Toric UHD 4.5-30x56, etc.

If you want something a little smaller, try Element Optics Nexus 5-20x50.

ILya

Reactions: prs_demarest
Opinions on the Tremor reticle vary widely. Some people love and some hate it. I am strongly in the latter camp and I think Tremor3 is just a bad idea. Now, a lot of people use it just fine, so it is clearly usable, but any mrad tree reticle works in kind of the same way and most of the other ones manage to do it without all the unnecesary crap of Tremor3.

HOVR is a very nice $800 scope. I am not sure I'd pay $1700 for it even with the accessories.

If you are really dead set on trying one of Horus mosquito nets, there are better platforms for it.

As far as what you can get in a similar price range, I'd be looking at Delta Stryker 4.5-30x56, Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56, Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56, Tract Toric UHD 4.5-30x56, etc.

ILya
Good information, I am not dead set on Horus. I thought the $1700.00 price for a scope, range finder, ballistics app and weather unit was pretty attractive. I don't mind buying the other items separately, I just wasn't sure that I could get a scope capable of 1000 yards for less than a grand.
I am planning on attending the "beginner" long range class at K&N in Oct and need to get at least a scope and (I assume a ballistics app) and get used to them before I go. I am really new to this and welcome any advise.

Have you thought of the leupold LRP scopes? the 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 with the CCH reticle would stretch you WELLLL passed 1k yards, the target dials give you tons of adjustment so you can dial instead of dialing and holding or just holding and they are easily sub $1000.00. that would leave you a good chunk of cash left over for a kestrel and a decent rangefinder . unless that package has a different ballistic calculator, the horus calc is free anyway. Not just with that package... i downloaded it a few months ago and played with it... its cool but it definitely isn't replacing 4DOF (which is also free).
I think it was sportsmans warehouse? thats running a smokin deal on sig Kilo rangefinders and the Leupold 1600 rangefinder.
Optics planet has the Leupold for 1k, probably find a better price if you shop, sig kilo $250 or leupold 1600 for $300 and another $400 for a kestrel 5700. Puts you about the same price as the Horus package with better equipment all around.
Just my 0.2 cents

Reactions: CRod
Good information, I am not dead set on Horus. I thought the $1700.00 price for a scope, range finder, ballistics app and weather unit was pretty attractive. I don't mind buying the other items separately, I just wasn't sure that I could get a scope capable of 1000 yards for less than a grand.
I am planning on attending the "beginner" long range class at K&N in Oct and need to get at least a scope and (I assume a ballistics app) and get used to them before I go. I am really new to this and welcome any advise.
My old vortex HS-T and ancient Horus falcon handle 1000+ with ease.
You don’t need much scope at all for that distance.
I’m Definitely not a fan of the tremor reticles and think you could better spend your money elsewhere.
Kestrel 5700
Leupold 2800 LRF
Athlon ETS

Last edited:
Great advise so far guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will continue to look for a set up. It seems the popular opinion is that I can do much better for the same money.

ILya
the HoVR™ 5-20 x 50 with TREMOR5 is not 800. its 1300

I'm a newbie to PRS and I 've just finished my Impact precision 737 build. With the scarcity and price of ammo I wanted a better method than range card dial and hope. So I've bought a Tremor3 reticle, Horus wind meter and the Android phone app. So far I've two glitches' in the app, the reticles display only shows wind hold off to the left, even though the read out says hold right, horus confirmed the problem, the second is the range card function doesn't show velocity at target or time flight, even those horus support says it does.

Horus says they are working on update, but this product has been out for awhile, what experience have others had.