• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some computer help

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I have 2 computers in my home, a desk top with monitor, and a chrome book laptop. Both run off the same modem/wifi box. I use the dest top 95% f the time and the laptop when Im away from home. But when Im on the lap top I couldnt sign in with the password I use for the desktop. So yesterday I was in town using the laptop and decided to reset the password so I could log in here. No problem, but when I got home and switched to the desktop I was logged out. The new password wouldnt work so I think " Ok Ill just reset it again"....not so fast, when I try to reset and type in new password and confirm, hit enter, and up comes a screen that says "Problem, you must allow cookies on this site to log in." I never dis allowed cookies, whatever the fuck they are. So how do I allow cookies here? Why doesnt one password work for both computers since its the same IP and everything? Any help appreciated because this little chrome book is a POS and you really cant do much with it except view stuff, you cant save anything.

Did you turn both computers off and unplug them for 15 seconds, then plug back in and turn back on?

If so I, and 99% of tech support hotlines, can't help you.

Ill try that now. HOpe i dont lose access on both

Well it’s not the same IP technically, your router assigns a unique IP for your network usually a 192.168.1.xxx format. Unless you have a business internet plan with a static IP address, your internet provider will refresh your main home IP usually every 24 hours, but not always. So the IP address has nothing to do with your problem. A cookie is a tracking file websites like to store in your temp folder to make logging in easier they claim (truth is it’s so they can collect data). You just need to find your browser settings and enable them. Is this chrome book using windows 10? Are we talking about logging into this website?

Wel at least I can get in on the chrome book. Ill go turn the other one back on and try. I dont know WTF this chrome book uses, I really dont like it and it will likely, soon, take a rapid flight against a solid object....then Ill go get a regular PC Windows laptop...and yes its about this website.

I can't tell if you mean the password for this site or the password for your wifi.
    This website. The same one should get me in on both comps but wont. Now Ive got the "must allow cookies" on the desk top. I use Windows 10 on that one.

Best practice would be to clear the browser history including cookies on the computer that cannot login, then come back here and make sure you use https://... not http://

Reactions: Maggot
    This website. The same one should get me in on both comps but wont. Now Ive got the "must allow cookies" on the desk top. I use Windows 10 on that one.
    You need to clear your cache and browsing history on both computers. Delete all the cookies and clear your temp folder. That should fix the problem.

Thanks, I just 'Reset' the desktop to original settings. Waiting for it to clear and restart, We will see, keeping my digits crossed.