• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some Direction.

.Scarecrow.

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
West Michigan, United States
I'm an 18 year old really itching to get into long range precision shooting. From what I have seen over the years, the .338 Lapua is my favorite cartridge and I want to base a precision rifle around it. Though I have never fired a rifle chambered in this round, I am fairly certain it's what I want when it comes to extreme long range shooting. I'd really like to have a custom rifle builder make me a 1 mile gun after I learn the fundamentals to precision shooting. This is something I've wanted to be able to do for a long time. I would like to outfit the rifle with a Manners T4A stock, and on the Action and Barrel I am not sure yet. Could someone point me in the right direction for the top of the line Actions, Barrels, and builders so I can make the best investment for myself? Also how I can go about learning to shoot long range. I'm just not sure on how to go about everything.

- VERY Much appreciate
smile.gif

Re: Need some Direction.

I would HIGHLY advise you against the 338LM if you are 18... To feed that thing, even with reloading, is over $2.50/round, its not an every weekend round. I would look at a .260, 308, or 300WM if you want more boom. Lots and lots of people buy 338LMs cause there such an awesome and capable round but then regret it as it becomes a safe queen rifle instead of an every weekend shooter like most 308s become.

Get a .22 and a .223 or .308 to start with. Then subscribe to the training here. That will do more for you than telling you what to do with a .338 build.

And fill out your profile. You might find somebody close by to take you under their wing, likely saving you a lot of time, money, frustration, etc.

Being a young person, you probably have heard this statement. "Learn to crawl before you can walk."

Take it for what it is worth,

Listen to those who have been down this road.

Learn the basics first, the 338 isn't going anywhere. It will be there when you get your long range shooting legs under you.

But, one way or another you will figure it out.

Money?

Yeah, I have been told before to get a .308 and put 8-10k rounds through it to see what I want in a rifle. I am for sure going to reload with .338 when I get one. In my mind it just seems like too badass a round for me not to own and shoot. Otherwise for a starting rifle I figured a Remington 700 or some model of Savage with a Leupold optic, probably sounds Cliche I know, but I don't want to get super in depth on my .308.

Bad thing sometimes the internet. Lots of really cool videos and threads about having a big bad LR gun hitting steel at a mile and beyond. Easy to get excited and want one in the worst way. It's really not that easy. Like others have said you should find and attend a LR match near you and see just how hard it is to hit small steel even at 1000 yards consistently.

Hate to repeat what others have said but if you were my neighbor and wanted to get into LR shooting I'd recommend a decent 22LR first. Learn to shoot and hit targets out thru 300 yards and you'll get a really good grasp on knowing how to dope wind and elevation. When you find that too easy then step up to a 260 or 308 and move on up to longer distances and you'll find it's exponentially harder.

There have been a few 338s shoot at our 1000 yard matches and they are not in the top scorers although they are fun to watch the owners shake their heads in disbelief when their magic LR rifle isn't the instant match winner they thought it'd be. They are impressive to see hit a target, they are expensive to shoot and an experienced shooter can make them really perform at extended distances.

You'll also find there aren't many places to shoot a mile and some 1000 yard ranges won't allow the 338 to shoot their steel targets. Few inexperienced shooters can jump right behind a 338 and utilize it's full potential. A lot of shooters will tell you it don't recoil much and it don't bother them but you start off with one and chances are you'll quickly develop bad habits that may take a long time to overcome.

Hope you do get one someday and do well with it. I think starting off with a smaller caliber that is easier on your pocketbook and lets you develop skills correctly and allows you to get a lot of range time should be near the top of your wish list before proceeding.

Good luck

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a .22 and a .223 or .308 to start with. Then subscribe to the training here. That will do more for you than telling you what to do with a .338 build. </div></div>Agreed.

I went through this too... I was 14 or 15 when I had enough money saved for my first bolt gun and I wanted a capable round that could double as my hunting gun. Did many months of research and settled on a 300WSM which is a great round. All I could afford was a sporter weight rifle so that's what I got with the intention of saving to buy a heavy barrel. Worst mistake of my life as far as shooting goes. I loved recoil for some reason but it really screws up your fundamentls. I went from being a pretty good shot for not knowing shit to being a shitty shot real quick because I bought too much gun. A 338 is WAY more gun than a 300WSM...

BAD IDEA to buy a big magnum as your first venture into LR shooting.

I ended up selling my 300, bought a 22LR at the recomendation of MANY 'Hide members and I re-learned how to shoot the proper way. I turned 18 this year as well, and I bought a Rem700 Varmint in 308 Winchester and I know for a fact that I did the right thing the second time around. You will be making a HUGE mistake if you buy a 338 as your first LR gun.

Get a good 22LR or a 223 bolt gun and learn how to reload your ammo. They're both cheap and will teach you SO much if you're willing to learn. Then you can start getting into bigger calibers as your skills improve and you're ready for more recoil. Then get a 308 and shoot the ever-living shit out of it too and really push your limits.

You have to walk before you can run. But first you have to learn how to crawl. Learn to shoot PROPERLY first, then move up to bigger guns. If you start with big guns, you will eventually realize you have wasted time and money. If you have any sense in you, you'll be patient and take baby steps and work your way up to the 338.

Take it from someone who has been in your shoes very recently and taken the wrong path... learn the basics and then gradually move up from there. It's the best way to go about doing what you want to do.

Best of luck,
-Dylan

I really like what you said about getting bad habits from strong recoil, We have a Savage .17 HMR at the house, maybe that would be a good rifle to start with. Then move to .308, and when I know all I can know, and I have the money, go to .338. It's not really about the .338 Lapua round, it's more about being able to sling that chunk of metal and being able to control where it hits at those extreme ranges. I want to do that so bad, and the .338 was just the one I liked the most. At least I'm not like other kids my age that only want a .50 BMG rifle, I KNOW they won't be able to afford shooting that.

Thank you Topstrap, any other advice you have?

Hey man that was really interesting to read, like I said in my other reply I think I'll start with my father's .17 HMR, if that sounds like a decent cartridge, then move onto .308, and .338. What types of things will I learn about? Or is that something I have to find out for myself?

Starting with the .17 is an excellent idea. Don't jump in and start shooting 200 yards. Start at 50, move to 100 then 200. This will give you an idea of what it is like to shoot extended ranges.

What will you learn? Depends on you. I have seen folks go out and bang away and learn nothing. Hopefully, you can learn the fundamentals of sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control and breathing let alone proper cheek weld, proper positioning and more.

An excellent book is The Ultimate Sniper by Maj. Plaster. It is a very thorough book that covers many things. It is not the ONLY way to do things, but it is a good read and very informative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Starting with the .17 is an excellent idea. Don't jump in and start shooting 200 yards. Start at 50, move to 100 then 200. This will give you an idea of what it is like to shoot extended ranges.

What will you learn? Depends on you. I have seen folks go out and bang away and learn nothing. Hopefully, you can learn the fundamentals of sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control and breathing let alone proper cheek weld, proper positioning and more.

An excellent book is The Ultimate Sniper by Maj. Plaster. It is a very thorough book that covers many things. It is not the ONLY way to do things, but it is a good read and very informative. </div></div>

Alright! I'm glad because It would be nice to save some money and not have to buy a Bolt .22. And I have actually watched The Ultimate Snipther and The Advanced Ultimate Sniper. But I should pick up the book, and re-watch those videos haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .Scarecrow.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey man that was really interesting to read, like I said in my other reply I think I'll start with my father's .17 HMR, if that sounds like a decent cartridge, then move onto .308, and .338. What types of things will I learn about? Or is that something I have to find out for myself?</div></div>

17HMR is a great round don't get me wrong, a GREAT round. The reason so many will suggest a 22LR over the 17HMR is that ammo is (typically) cheaper, more plentiful, and there are a variety of grades and velocities for many different scenarios. But, since your dad's 17 is available that is a great way to go!

The things you will learn are broadly categorized as the fundamentals of shooting. That would be; how to build a steady position, proper sight alignment, breath control, and trigger control. These are broad topics that cover a large amount of information and they all come together in a system to make accurate shooting possible. These are things that you will have to practice and perfect with every shot you take to make sure that you place that bullet where it needs to go.

So, you're probably thinking that doesn't seem very dificult. I know I didn't think so when I was just getting into LR shooting... then I was told that instead of just shooting 50 yards with a 22LR, move back to 100. Okay, still pretty easy on a calm day. But damn, you really get tested when the wind picks up!

Now move out to 200 and you have a party going on... it takes A LOT of practice to figure out how the wind works and a lot of your shots will miss their mark and it's not a big deal when you're shooting a cheap rimfire cartridge. You wasted a couple cents at the most and you have many more to re-try that shot. If you jump straight into a 338, well... you're wasting money every time you miss, a lot of money.

Rimfire shooting presents a high versatility in learning how to shoot. You can figure out your positions and get the fundamentals figured out pretty inexpensively at a 50 yard range and just move out to 100 yards whenever you feel ready. Heck, many people think a 22LR is only good to 75 yards. I have shot mine and made hits out to 450 yards... don't get me wrong, it's really difficult but it is doable.

The biggest thing a rimfire will teach you, which was your question to me, is how to read the wind without wasting too much money in the process. It is the most difficult concept of shooting to master for the vast majority of shooters. And when you really start stretching out the distance, say 1760 yards with a 338LM, you will be dealing with so much wind variations it'll make your brain hurt trying to figure it out. But if you lay a good solid foundation out with a rimfire, and then move up when you're ready, you'll be much better equipped to achieve your goals of making hits on targets at extended long range.

But don't let any of this discourage you, it's difficult, expensive, addicting, time consuming, and VERY rewarding to make everything happen perfectly and hear the sweet ring of steel when your bullet impacts what you were aiming at!!

Good luck with all of it!

Get a .308 first. I wish I did (started with 300 win mag). You also have to factor in re-barreling after you shoot it out. If you get a .308, you'll learn how to read wind better for when you make the jump to a .338.

I started with a 270, which was great, with handloads I could reach 1000 yards, as others have said, start with a lower recoil cartridge before moving to the magnums, I'm 20 and now shoot a 300WSM and I love it, I'm glad I started with what I did. One day I'll get a 338 (probably an edge), but for now I'm pretty content and don't see a need for it.

All advice is spot on. I'm 64 now and started shooting pistols, tactical shotguns and AR's again about 2 years ago and got the LR bug a few months ago. Purchased a Barrett MRAD Lapua Magnum with optics, spotting scope and stand, weather meter, data book and long range app, spending over 10 grand. Rounds range from $2.75 to $6.50. Love to shoot it-minimal recoil and less tha 2 inch groups at 200 yards.

I quickly came to realize that LR and ELR is as much an ART as science. To develop those skills requires practice, practice and more practice. I had planned to get the 308 conversion when it becomes available, but that will probably be a year or more.

To develop those skills got a Remington 700 308 and shoot several times a week without having to sell my last kidney. Just as much fun as the 338 and I'll be much more adept when the MRAD 308 conversion becomes available.

I have found this Forum to be extremely valuable with all the experienced shooters who are eager and willing to share their advice to further this exhilarating sport.

You have years of great fun and adventures ahead of you. Good luck!!!!

Just went out today with a buddy and shot the .17 at 175ish yards with a 10mph crosswind. We put out a half sheet of paper and hit it a lot more times than we thought we would. It was really cool to adjust for wind and actually get it right.

Definitely start with a more budget friendly round, learn the right way to shoulder the stock. Learn how to properly breathe, how to squeeze the trigger etc, before you move up to even a .308.

I too want a.338 but I still think I've got learning to do so I'm going to get a .308 bolt gun for the time being.

scarecrow, I've been hunting and shooting for over 42 years now, listen to what others have said. I still catch myself slipping into bad habits from time to time. Bad habits "can" be hard to break.
Over the years I have shot some bangers, but as time moves on I tend to like shooting the mid range calibers more and more.

look into appleseed shoots for some instruction in fundamentals of rifle marksmanship - you may be able to borrow a .22 for the event - at 18 you will only pay a registration fee - MI has a great crew, I went over to ft. Custer for a known distance event this summer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look into appleseed shoots for some instruction in fundamentals of rifle marksmanship - you may be able to borrow a .22 for the event - at 18 you will only pay a registration fee - MI has a great crew, I went over to ft. Custer for a known distance event this summer</div></div>
This ^ ^ ^ is FANTASTIC advice! You'll learn quite a lot from Appleseed.

great advice, folks. I shoot a .308 regularly, but I still have a lot of fun shooting my .223 too.

Scarecrow - Just to put the LM into perspective, and I say this as a guy who works 3 jobs just to afford his insane "habbit" with .308 and .223. Each time I head out with the .308, I shoot about 60 rounds. That cost me approximately 35.00 and a decent chunk of time at the reloading bench. For 35.00 reloading LM, you'd only get about 15 rounds of practice. With 15 rounds, you're just getting going!

I have debated going the ELR route, but I want to feel very confident in my LR skills before going BIG.

Best of luck to you, nice to see younger folks getting involved. I wish I would have gotten involved in this sport/hobby when I was your age.