• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some guidance on scope choices

Kalashnikov

Registered from South Africa
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2019
Hello snipers

I need some guidance please. I know some of these scopes that I'm mentioning isn't necessarily on everyone's radar but I'd appreciate some input as I do see them mentioned here.

Unfortunately it's lockdown in south africa so I cant pop in and check them out and not every store around here has these scopes anyway. The prices listed are converted already.

Currently I own a Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 6-24x50 FFP with g2 reticle. It is my first FFP scope and so far I'm really enjoying it on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Doing mostly BR shooting with range going from 300m-2km. I can spot misses at 800m without a problem. I have spotted misses at 1000m as well.

Now I'm looking at the following..

Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56 - $1565
Bushnell XRS 2 4.5-30x50 G3 - $1543
Athlon Ares Etr 4.5-30x56 - $1373
Bushnell Dmr 2 Pro 3.5-21x50 - $1277
Sightron s3 6-24x50 with zero stop - $1144
Vortex pst g2 5-25x50 - $1038

Best price on a G2 razor I could find is $2200. But they are mostly in the $2400-2500 range.

I don't actually want to buy now but our currency have already dropped and new shipments coming in May will be around 20-30% more expensive so I'm having a bit of FOMO at the moment. Scared that if I want to upgrade later this year or next year it will be way too expensive as this virus situation could cause months of chaos and trouble. Especially to our economy.

Will these scopes be a big enough upgrade on my ERS to justify the money? I am looking to get into NRL in a couple of years as well. Mostly not shooting competitions now. Once or twice a year - small kids and all that. Time and work, you know.

Thank you in advance guys

Kalash,
I'm new to long range and trying to learn these concepts while still working on fundamentals.

I am however a reasonably experienced rifle shooter and have a FFP Sightron S3 with a Mil reticle, that I've used for local match shooting. I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it. The glass clear, the scope passes a standard box test easily. Although Jim Fish's review of the S3 showed some deviance when dialing. You ahould make sure you read that.

The eye box is a bit tight at 24x. That hasn't been much of a problem for me though because I rarely zoom it in past 18x.

Also, I have called Sightron for support and have been able to speak with people right away. Which is nice.

Thanks dcmdon. I mist say, of the scopes I listed.. I do like the sightron reticle the least. But I understand the glass is good for the price

For a Gen 2 razor you need to contact Scott at liberty Optics. Email or phone call. Great guy

I'm in South Africa so that's why I'm listing the "obvious" options. Would really like some critique on these models, as now with lockdown I can't see the scopes and most shops don't carry them

The old ERS 6-24 is a solid scope. It will do what ever you need it to, but it is dated. Any of those choices are a upgrade in features and worth it in my opinion. But your current scope is just as reliable as those listed.

The old ERS 6-24 is a solid scope. It will do what ever you need it to, but it is dated. Any of those choices are a upgrade in features and worth it in my opinion. But your current scope is just as reliable as those listed.
Thanks! Is there a scope on my list that stands out?

I would not buy anything sightron I ordered a scope 10 weeks ago and still have not received it . They have very poor customer service

Hi Koshkin, thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in. It is more or less the same price as the xrs 2. You feel it is much better? Also, as I only know the G2 reticle I would be leaning towards the Lrd-1P. I know you like the Lrd-1T. I know it is personal, but I'm unsure. The other reticle looks confusing to me (Dlr-1)

Can anyone please compare the Ares Etr and Dmr2 Pro for me? I know the Bushnells are popular here on the hide. We have very few shops that stock them.

Thanks guys

XRS2 is an amazing scope, a bit on the heavy side but I love it and have no complaints. I have owned 2 HDMR and a Hdmr2 as well, the hdmr has better eye relief than the XRS2 imo.

What have you decided to go with? I found a lightly used gen2 Stryker HD to upgrade to from my Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18. I had the same idea as you, buy now before it becomes completely unaffordable in SA.
Now just to find some rings.

Hello snipers

I need some guidance please. I know some of these scopes that I'm mentioning isn't necessarily on everyone's radar but I'd appreciate some input as I do see them mentioned here.

Unfortunately it's lockdown in south africa so I cant pop in and check them out and not every store around here has these scopes anyway. The prices listed are converted already.

Currently I own a Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 6-24x50 FFP with g2 reticle. It is my first FFP scope and so far I'm really enjoying it on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Doing mostly BR shooting with range going from 300m-2km. I can spot misses at 800m without a problem. I have spotted misses at 1000m as well.

Best price on a G2 razor I could find is $2200. But they are mostly in the $2400-2500 range.

I don't actually want to buy now but our currency have already dropped and new shipments coming in May will be around 20-30% more expensive so I'm having a bit of FOMO at the moment. Scared that if I want to upgrade later this year or next year it will be way too expensive as this virus situation could cause months of chaos and trouble. Especially to our economy.

Will these scopes be a big enough upgrade on my ERS to justify the money? I am looking to get into NRL in a couple of years as well. Mostly not shooting competitions now. Once or twice a year - small kids and all that. Time and work, you know.

I decided to postpone the buying for now. Our dealers are really exploiting the exchange rate (which already returned to almost the same as before the lockdown). And the way things are being handled I dont want to take a risk at the moment. But I think when I have the money to spare, I will be going for the delta stryker as well

I decided to postpone the buying for now. Our dealers are really exploiting the exchange rate (which already returned to almost the same as before the lockdown). And the way things are being handled I dont want to take a risk at the moment. But I think when I have the money to spare, I will be going for the delta stryker as well

What are they going for new now? I did t even look before buying my used one.

Hello snipers

I run a razor gen 2 and love it.

Any updates from OP or others that switched from Bushnell to the Stryker?

I am also looking to upgrade my 4.5-18 LRHSi to the Stryker, likely in the LRD-1P reticle or DLR-1 (seems thicker?). Use is a dual purpose hunting and range rifle.

Last edited:
I have my Delta mounted and will be mounting the Bushnell on another rifle soon. Once I can use both side by side, I will post my opinions.

Reactions: YotaEer
I have my Delta mounted and will be mounting the Bushnell on another rifle soon. Once I can use both side by side, I will post my opinions.

That would be much appreciated! What reticle did you go with?

Just wanted to follow up on your thoughts on he Stryker vs the bushnell