• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help with an accuracy issue

mike4764

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
NY
I built a rifle I planned to use competing in F-class. Its a rem 700 in .284 win. It has a Hart 28" barrel and is in an Elisio chassis. The action has been trued and the barrel chambered by a bench rest gunsmith. Accuracy has been dismal. 2" at 100 yards. I noticed that the first few rounds are in the .3's then it opens up a ton. I noticed that the barrel even after a few rounds is heavily copper fouled. Originally I did a standard barrel break in by shooting an cleaning ect. I have a total of 150 rounds through the barrel. The last 50 were moly coated to see if that would help. It did to an extent. I cleaned the moly out and I could see the lands were bright orange with copper. I have had the barrel for a year so sending it back is probably not an option. To maintain accuracy I would have to clean the copper after every 5 rounds and during a match that is not possible. Bullets are 180 berger at about 2,920 fps with reloader 17. What should I do???

Re: Need some help with an accuracy issue

talk it over with the gunsmith who built it before you try to resolve the issue yourself.

Re: Need some help with an accuracy issue

Just a SWAG but could be a rough throat from a dull reamer, or just a bad barrel. Call Hart and talk it over with them, Bobby is good to go.