• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help with trigger decisions

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Ok here goes, the wife has a DPMS Mini SASS that she absolutely loves to death. Though she hates the trigger (JP) as it is about a 4lb trigger. She likes the feel of the Jewell she shot in a buddy of mine's 700. I was trying to get her to go with a Geissele but she doesn't know if she will like the 2 stage. She wants something light (1-2lb) and I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Now that Geissele only makes 48 different kinds of triggers for the AR, which would probably fit the bill, or am I missing something?

Re: Need some help with trigger decisions

Without going to a 2-stage trigger, you won't get anywhere close to the 1-2lb trigger pull range (at least SAFELY).

With that said, Geissele makes multiple triggers that have very light second stage trigger pulls, including numerous models in the 1-2lb range. The basic SSA and SSA-E triggers are nice and more budget-friendly than some of their other offerings. The SSA has a 2.5lb first stage and a pretty crisp 2.0lb second stage. The SSA-E goes a little lighter with only a 2.3lb first stage and a very crisp/clean 1.2lb second stage. Similarly, if you want as light as possible and don't mind an adjustable trigger Geissele offers units like the Hi-speed Match that can get you a first-stage of as low as around 1.5lbs and a second stage as heavy as 1lb and as light as well under a half pound.

If you can get her to learn to use a 2-stage trigger in a semi-auto properly, then the basic SSA and SSA-E are excellent initial options from which you can always upgrade at a later date if she finds she likes the 2-stage units, including going with an infinitely adjustable/tunable trigger. If she has never used one before and is more used to a single-stage bolt gun trigger, then they can take some getting used to and some people never really do (nor do they want to).

Geissele also makes some "hybrid" triggers like their 3-gun triggers that are sort of a mix of single and two-stage units, but none will get you into the lower weight of pull she's wanting.

As for single-stage triggers, most of the common drop-in units like Timney, CMC, and others offer pulls as low as 3lbs with some others at 3.5lbs and 4lbs respectively. Those units are non-adjustable, fixed weight of pull units. The 3lb Timney triggers are very good for single-stage units, but again...may not be quite light enough for what she wants. There is also the Jard trigger units (both integrated trigger packs/modules and standard hammer/trigger combos) which can be had in adjustable (for sear engagement and over-travel) and non-adjustable versions. They offer units that go as low at 2lbs or so with spring swaps, etc., BUT...in my experience, if your wife is NOT an experienced semi-auto shooter, going with such a light single-stage trigger is a recipe for doubling and potentially unsafe operation of the rifle. Only you/she can make that call, but for a single-stage trigger...I'd stay with 3lbs or better.

Geissele hands down!! Look at SD3G- nice, light, short reset. SDE is amazing as well.

I like my Timney 3 lb. Very close to an excellent 1911 trigger, but I've never shot a Geissele. When I was building my rifle (about 4 years ago), I decided I didn't want to go 2 stage because all of my other weapons were single stage. KISS.

geiselle, i have them in 4 different ar's and really like them but make sure and get a set of KNS anti rotation pins for it. In all my triggers i had kind of a gritty feeling with the gieselle pins because it seamed like with a really light trigger you could feel the pins move or something. i put the KNS pins in and they are awesome.

CJG

ORD, thanks! It sounds like maybe the SSA-E might be the way to go. I was looking at the 3gun model as a possibility as well to run.

All she has ever shot is her Mini SASS. She is now proficient with making sure she is holding the trigger to the rear. She watched the video on here in the training section and went out and realized that it shrunk her groups up some. She is still trying to remember to break at the bottom of the breath, but getting much better. She is actually starting to call her fuck ups, whether on the trigger, breathing, or pushing the rifle anticipating recoil.

If she's operating the rifle/trigger that well thus far, I don't think that getting used to a 2-stage trigger will be all that tough for her. Just as long as when she releases she only does so enough to reset the trigger which will already be staged and ready to go with the lighter, second-stage pull. All of that is well explained in the training vid you mentioned...just the difference between how the single-stage trigger she's using now operates versus how a 2-stage will operate.

Good luck and God speed!

Timney AR triggers can be adjusted for pull weight. There is a set screw on top of the unit, which is red loctite'd. You can adjust it down to about 2lbs without doubling. Your milage may vary on that number. Make sure it doesn't fire coming off safe too. Timney told me about the adjustment screw when the triggers first came out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She is actually starting to call her fuck ups, whether on the trigger, breathing, or pushing the rifle anticipating recoil. </div></div> Any video that can get a woman to do that is worth watching. :)

The SSA-E is the nicest trigger I've ever used.

Azimutha, she has fun shooting. When she gets pissed because she has been fucking up anticipating she will load a mag and just let it rip for 30. Then settle back in and she is good LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BayouRobert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">geissele hi-speed match</div></div>

This. Phenomenal triggers.

I love my geissele sd-c, i am finally getting used to it after a match this past saturday. Its a HUGE improvement over my GI trigger.

I went SD-c due to it being a hunting gun. The SD-E is lighter thinking 3.5# Both have a flat trigger which i love

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If she's operating the rifle/trigger that well thus far, I don't think that getting used to a 2-stage trigger will be all that tough for her. Just as long as when she releases she only does so enough to reset the trigger which will already be staged and ready to go with the lighter, second-stage pull. All of that is well explained in the training vid you mentioned...just the difference between how the single-stage trigger she's using now operates versus how a 2-stage will operate.

Good luck and God speed! </div></div>

She will have to get used to the 2 stage since she wants to hit some F/TR comps this year and if she does she will be single loading.

The Geissele Hi-Speed NM trigger that I have is fully adjustable and came with three different spring weights:

Service Rifle
1st stage 2nd stage total weight
3.2 - 5lb. 0.5 - 1.5lb. 3.7 - 6.5lb.
DMR
2.5 - 3.6lb. 0.5 - 1.5lb. 3.0 - 5.1lb
Match Rifle
1.5 - 2.5lb. (6 - 14oz.) 1.9 - 3.4lb

I use the DMR with about a 3.5 or 4lb trigger, I forget. But it is a very smooth trigger, so it doesn't really "feel" like what it is. Also, with the DMR, you have taken up most of the trigger weight in the first stage, so when you get to the second stage, it is basically just a "click" away from BOOM! She'd essentially get a .5-1.5lb trigger once she took up the first stage.

I think in this respect she'd like a two stage. And like was mentioned, it is the only safe way to get light trigger pulls (one other way, I'll get to that). My wife loves 'em, she hates the regular (but stoned and tuned!) AR trigger on the Beowulf that sets at about 4.5lbs. The RRA 2stage NM trigger is a GREAT budget 2 stage, and with just the tiniest bit of polishing, it becomes really, really nice. Almost as good as one of the Geisseles, but you'll notice right away the Geissele needs no polishing to make it better.

Another Geissele I have, the 3GSD, it has a very light trigger pull (2.5 or 3lbs?) and though it is a two stage, it feels just like a one stage. It has a VERY short pull. Double taps are insanely fast, but you have to be careful not to have unintentional doubles or even triples with it --gotta have a strong grip and deliberate trigger pull. I'd recommend against this for her, simply because you are asking these questions, I get the idea this trigger would likely take you by surprise unless you tried it out first.

I have a Jard 2 stage, as was asked above. It is in an FAL though, but the mechanism is identical to the AR triggers they make. The hammer and some other parts are just modified to shape to fit with other FAL parts, it is still an adj. 2 stage trigger. In a nutshell, it lacks the fit and finish that a Geissele has, sort of difficult to adjust, but otherwise well made. I'd go with the Geissele, or RRA if you want to save money and are handy with polishing the engagement surfaces with a small Arkansas stone and/or a Dremel cotton polishing drum.

If you have a place nearby that has triggers you can try, I highly recommend you two doing that. Rainier Arms for instance, has cut up lowers with grips and the triggers installed with a rubber plug that the hammer strikes. They have several that you can dry fire side by side, all parts exposed. Really nice, it helped me decide with no guessing as to which triggers I wanted for what (and like you said, with like 48 triggers, they make one for every occasion!).

But I hope the chart above helps, just remember that once the first few pounds of slack are taken out, it really kind of does feel just like the second stage only. But if you go with this trigger, just follow the instructions like gospel, and try out the different trigger weights and go with the heaviest one that works for you. I think you'll find the Hi-Speed NM (DMR or otherwise) up your alley, particularly if you have to make this purchase untested. Also, it would obviously be good for competitions. Take care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok here goes, the wife has a DPMS Mini SASS that she absolutely loves to death. Though she hates the trigger (JP) as it is about a 4lb trigger. She likes the feel of the Jewell she shot in a buddy of mine's 700. I was trying to get her to go with a Geissele but she doesn't know if she will like the 2 stage. She wants something light (1-2lb) and I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Now that Geissele only makes 48 different kinds of triggers for the AR, which would probably fit the bill, or am I missing something? </div></div>

Hi EricF517,

Like others who've replied, I'm using and loving the Geissele two-stage match trigger. What would be especially helpful for your wife, I suspect, is the fact that it's adjustable and very easy to adjust (Geissele even put up a Youtube video on how to do it). I've tweaked the second stage on mine to be about 8 oz., yet I have never, ever had an accidental fire since then. Should your wife get one, she <span style="text-decoration: underline">can</span> also adjust the first stage to be very light, but that'll require her to use pliers to bend the spring a bit in order to lessen its tension. It's really not hard to do, though, and it works like a charm.

Yours,

David

Ok, just have to ask. I just bought a SSA-E off GB for another rifle I am building. Thought that is what I had in my other rifle and really like it. Just dug out the piece of paper it came with and it is the SA-E. So now I am wondering if I am going to like the SSA-E. Really liked the straight shoe on the SA-E and although I couldn't see for sure as the one I just bought was in the package yet I suspected it had the curved shoe.

So stupid question....am I going to like the SSA-E? What is the real difference between these. Didn't find what I was looking for on their website but went through it kinda fast. Came here and see this thread and comments so had to ask?????

Thanks.
Respectfully,
Dennis

+1 on the Geissele SSA-E. I have it on my POF 20" P308 and love it. With that said I have a Timney in my P415, while really a really light trigger pull and VERY crisp. I am looking to switch it out for the SSA-E, because I like the SSA-E more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tack425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Geissele SSA-E. I have it on my POF 20" P308 and love it. With that said I have a Timney in my P415, while really a really light trigger pull and VERY crisp. I am looking to switch it out for the SSA-E, because I like the SSA-E more. </div></div>

+2 ~ Threw one on my AR10-Sass and couldn't be happier.