• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Need some info/help on equipment

agetzy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum i've been interested in long range competitive shooting for quite some time now and have finally decided to "pull the trigger" and seriously get into it. i've been reading about service and match competitions 2,3 and 5 or 6 hundred yards with AR type rifles. Also the 8,9 and 1K yard competitions as well but .223 is too small I'm thinking .308 my question is what type of rifle? mfgr. etc to buy. I'm not worried about cost I want good equipment I dont want to buy anything I have to upgrade. Thanks in advance for any and all advice/info you're willing to share ! Im not new to shooting at all but deffinately new to competition shooting.

Re: Need some info/help on equipment

There are several different shooting disciplines that might interest you. You will need to do some homework and pick a discipline to get any good recomendations. There's service rifle, highpower, benchrest, f-class, f-t/r, just to name a few. They all have their differences in preferred equipment.

Thanks for the info Shane looks like I have some more reading to do

A decent bolt action 308 with a scope that goes up to 10X or more is a good place to start if you don't know exactly what you want to do, but know you are interested in shooting out to 1000 yards.

I would suggest a Rem 700P, 308, Badger or Seekins 20 moa base and 30mm low rings, and a Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 mildot of TMR reticle, as a good starting point. Those are things you would never outgrow. If you source them used, you can pretty much get all your money back if you decide to sell them later. There are other good starter rifle/scopes out there too. If budget isn't an issue, a GAP rifle and S&B, USO, or NF optics are super nice.

Add a Harris 9-13" swivel/notched bipod, and a RedTac beanbag, some 175gr Match grade ammo, and you're ready to start shooting.

One of the best investments you will be able to make would also be to enroll in one of the LR shooting courses. If you are inexperienced with rifles/scopes at long range, it is highly recommended.

If this is a rifle you plan on competeing with. Think of building one or buying a custom already built. Talk to a gunsmith that has a good repuation for building or having one that shoots in the application you want to do. GA Persion is one. There are alot of good gunsmiths. Then make your choices from there.
Here is an old saying that still stands true today.

BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE. Make a good choice and you wont have to upgrade.

Our standard 1000yd newbie starter/loaner rifle is .308 Savage 12BVSS, Ken Farrel 20MOA base, Burris Signature Zee rings and an appropriate scope, with a Weaver V-16 or V-24 being a relatively good compromise between cost and capability. Ammo is 175gr SMK, Win brass, Win Large Rifle Primer, and 45.0gr of Varget.

This provides a cost effective, reliable baseline package that needs no further upgrades to be both educational and competitive. The typical new shooter will get from one to several years use out of it before their skills become hampered by its basic capabilities.

Greg