• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some input from fellow shooters

Swatman05

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
Im looking for a decent scope no more than $600.00. I know i can't afford S&B or US Optics, but I am in search of a good scope to hunt deer and elk with. One that can possibly do well out to 1,000yds.

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44. $589 new

Or search the sale section for a used SWFA 3-15x42. $???

Those are about as good as it gets for under $600. Both are plenty decent.

Have you dealt with swfa scopes? Ive heard mostly good reviews, even on their fixed power scopes
Most of us here have dealt with some type of SWFA SS scope during our journey to precision LR shooting. I've had 2 and one still sits on my Savage Axis 22LR trainer-fixed 20X for $300. Had been on a Savage 223 trainers previously. Need the 20X for my old eyes, but the glass and tracking is excellent for a scope in this price range. Lifetime warranty, transferrable. What's not to like? Pther have mentioned other top scopes up to the $600 range, but the less you spend for a capable scope, the more for ammo and practice, which is the most important factor in becoming a competent LR marksman!

Are you looking for a tactical style scope with tactical turrets, or a hunting scope.
For deer and elk a 3-10 is an excellent all around performer and the weaver grand slam tactical at midwayusa would be very hard to beat, especially for the price, quality Japanese made scope in an excellent power range.
I think you would be very happy with the vortex HST also but I would be a bit concerned about the durability.
If you are just looking for a hunting style scope, and you plan on sighting in for max point blank range,then you options really open up as there are tons of good quality hunting scopes with capped turrets in your price range.

Fdkay, I'm looking for one with tactical turrets, but one I can also hunt with. One that has good glass, tracks on point, durable and will last for a long time.

I run a fixt 10x SS on a 6.5x55 mauser with a match barrel. And that runs just fine for SAAB targets on 1000 meters. But for that distance i will reckomend you to get more zoom. 14-20. The problem getting into the larger zooms that some scopes just dont have the optical performance to show you a clear picture at maximum. I would find the money for a vortex pst.

If you snooze it - you loose it

I have a Leupold VX-R Firedot 4... Beautiful scope... 3x9x40... uploadfromtaptalk1412298354181.jpg