• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Need some Prairie Dog Shooting in TX or OK

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    I am looking for a place to shoot that has a high enough dog population for four to five shooters. We can travel almost anywhere in TX, OK or KS but willing anywhere within about a 1200 mile drive (one way) as long as we can get in a lot of shooting. Will pay to shoot on your land. All of us are well versed in gun safety, have lots of experience shooting PD and will take care of your property.
    PM me if you can help and I will give you my phone number.

Re: Prairie Dogs in TX ****NEED HELP!****

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you eat them things after one of your killing sprees?</div></div>
    I eat "kitties" but that's usually before trying to kill it.... wait, what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you eat them things after one of your killing sprees? </div></div>

They will bake in that TX sun and we snack on them when we are hungry.
    Ever eaten prairie dog chitlins?

who where you hunting in marathon? was it the dog town on 385?
    the only sugestion I know is to call the TX parks and wildlife office in alpine and ask if they know of any active town that you would be able to hunt

It would have been my first trip to Marathon. I am told it was a large tract that bordered the Boss Ranch.
    He told us that lack of measurable rain for almost a year has taken a toll on the dogs and there just aren't enough for our group of 8 to shoot.
    Thanks for the advice on TX P&W.

there is an old guy names Mark Withers in alpine who has a huge town in that area you my look his number up in alpine or call True value and see if he is working there still

I know a guy with a large pdog town between Marathon and Stockton. Lemme check.
    He gets 100 bucks a gun for a day hunt. The dog town just north of Marathon was teeming with them last time I was down there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a guy with a large pdog town between Marathon and Stockton. Lemme check.
    He gets 100 bucks a gun for a day hunt. The dog town just north of Marathon was teeming with them last time I was down there. </div></div>

Thanks for your help. From your intel I would say the Marathon area is out of the PD biz for a bit.
    Anyone here know of good towns left in the panhandle area?

Going to drive that far might as well go to wyoming to the big time towns. There isn't enough worth going that far in TX anywhere as far as Im concerned.

You might check up by Spearman on some of the irrigated ground?

I'm still looking.
    Someone did call me but I've lost their contact info.
    I think they were from Lubbock area.
    If you're out there please call me back.

Still looking for a good town or two.
    West TX or even good shooting in OK.
    Willing to pay for access for four shooters but must be target rich environment.

Screw Texas go to the Dakota's, its a little more drive but thats where we end when I was a kid, cannot remember the exact location though.

I live in TX and have spent a ton of time in the panhandle, There are dogs there but the hunting access isn't the same as you would get in the Dakota's, Kansas or others.

My buddy and I are going to SD in June for PD but, unfortunately, the sons can't go on that trip. Just looking for some father/son time.

I did some shooting in the Spearman, Perryton area last year. It was pretty spars shooting, I was there for a week and didnt shoot 200 rds and was only shooting two days. I have been told that the Dodge City and west area is good shooting.

If you are dead set on OK, Tx, or KS. KS is your best bet. There is a national grassland north of Elkhart. Cimarron I think. You can use google earth to find towns, set the eye elevation to about 80,000' and you can scan a section at a time. Look for white dots. If I were going to drive that far, I'd just keep going to Farmington and shoot on the Napi. It must be a really well kept secret, I never hear anyone talking about. Maybe I should shut-up.

tag, im interested in prairie dogs