• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some welder guru help

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
I am planning on building some stall fronts and window grills in a new barn. The prices for these are ridiculous, about 5x the materials cost, probably because the target market are the wealthy horse farms.

Bottom line, I want to learnt to weld and make these myself. would be a good backup skill to have anyway.
I guess I need to look for a class at the local c.college, but need some initial direction...I know there are some talented welders on here.

So for general farm use like this, welding up steel bar and flat stock, what would yall recommend for a decent welder I can grow into?

Re: Need some welder guru help

How much do you have to spend? I learned on an ARC welder but MIG is far and away easier for me to make things pretty with. If I were you Id go check out a hobart/lincoln mig model with gas. Should be able to get setup for under a grand. Get a good autoshade helmet, doing the oldschool thing is a pain in the ass! Im gonna shutup and let the experts chime in as I know there are several professional welders on here that know more than I ever will.

I've got one of thses:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/en_US/Products/literature/E727.pdf

Works great, I weld a fair amount of 3/16" plate (gas) and 1/4" plate (flux) with it. Does everything I need it too, with a decent duty cycle. Don't plan on using flux core with you want it to look good.

Plan on getting a tank argon or 85/15 argon mix, a good helmet, apron and gloves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on building some stall fronts and window grills in a new barn. The prices for these are ridiculous, about 5x the materials cost, probably because the target market are the wealthy horse farms.

Bottom line, I want to learnt to weld and make these myself. would be a good backup skill to have anyway.
I guess I need to look for a class at the local c.college, but need some initial direction...I know there are some talented welders on here.

So for general farm use like this, welding up steel bar and flat stock, what would yall recommend for a decent welder I can grow into? </div></div>

A welding class would be a smart move....CC, or maybe your local highschool has adult classes they give.

For just about anything you can find on a farm that's needing building or fixing, you can find everything you need at your local Tractor Supply...for lack of a better place.

Every farm on the planet has some form or another of a plain old 220v Lincoln "AC buzz box". It's a SMAW set up, or "stick welder" that runs on the same juice you would power an electric cook stove, or a clothes dryer. Pretty simple, and fairly inexpensive, to get up and running.

Source a decent helmet, yeah I too suggest a "flash helmet" as it's much easier to learn with. Prices on those have come WAY down since I got mine which is the first model of the Hornell Speed Glass. You'll need some leather gloves, and some arm guards wouldn't be a bad idea either. Wear a long sleeve shirt regardless, and keep the "V" of your neck covered to avoid a bad "sun burn". You'll want a chipping hammer and a wire brush at a minimum, and a 4" angle grinder would be a good idea too.

Round up a pile of scrap metal and buy 10 or 15 pounds of 6013 welding rod to start...some in 3/32 and some in 1/8. If you have half a lick of sense and a smidge of mechanical aptitude, then you can teach yourself to weld everything you need to weld on a farm with just that.

Start out just running stringer beads on a flat piece of metal making them straight, and even in width. Figure out to how to get it lit and keep it burning. Pull the puddle, and don't move any faster than you NEED to. If it won't light you are too cold, if it sticks you are too cold, if the stub is cherry red when you finish the rod then you are too hot. Look for what is too much arc, and what is too little, and what is just right. When you got it it sounds like an egg frying. When you can do that much consistently then try joining two pieces together in a lap joint, or in a "T" plate weld. If the weld is pretty, and the back side shows blue heat marks and a slight scale from pentration, then you are doing it right.

After you get good with the "farmer rod" or "idiot rod" and you want to try something "better" then you can try 7018AC rod with your buzz box, but that would be overkill for what you are wanting to build now.

I wouldn't fool with a MIG at this point; by the time you purchase the machine which isn't going to be cheap, and sign a lease on a tank of gas, and buy spools of wire, and a gas regulator if the machine doesn't come with one, plus the helmet/leathers/tools...you'll be saying WTF when the first little breeze blows your sheild gas off the weld and you're staring at a weldment that looks like swiss cheese.

For welding around the farm, especially what you are saying you want to do, apply the K.I.S.S principles.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't plan on using flux core with you want it to look good.

</div></div>

I beg to differ with that statement, unless you are talking about gasless flux core, which is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

FCAW can put down some very pretty (and very strong) welds if the gas isn't blown off and the base metals are clean. For general "around the farm" use, and quite a bit of industrial mild steel application, use E70 series wire with 75/25 gas.

I would take a welding class or two as stated before. Least get the basics down on how to run a stringer, weave, and use some of the rods(6010, and 7018). It will also show you how to prepare your material to be welded, as well as, what amps to use, as well as, what rods to use when, and on what amps.

Class should teach you how to prepare your joints to be welded too. Preparation is the key.

If you want a good multiprocess welder, go with miller machines. You want a Pipeliner welder, go with lincoln.

IF you give a budget, I can give you an idea on what welder to get.

If you're only going to be using it on the Farm, and to do some odd jobs here and there, I would suggest a Miller suitcase welder. They are amazing, very portable, and will get the job done. With them though, 1/8 rods are the biggest you can use, but for what you want to do, that's all you will need.

I would get some 6010(These work great for putting a root pass in, and going over paint, rust, ect, etc) rods, as well as, 7018 rods, use these for the hot passes and caps. I prefer lincoln rods the excailbur line for 7018 rods, I think they are the best rods out there.

Remember if you want to mig or fluxcore weld, the outdoors makes it hard to do. These process are mostly done in a controlled area since the gases used to shield the arc needs to be in the puddle not being blown away from it.

If you have any questions or need help, ask away, I'll do my best to help you.

Yes, get an auto darkering helmet, don't get a cheap, cheap one. I love my speedglas helmets, but they are costly.

there is a fair bit of good knowledge here on this site, regarding welding. Lots here on this thread, as well.

Don't forget to involve this one small point into the equation:

"It takes 10 minutes to learn how to weld something. It takes 10 years to become good at it."

That was taught to us, by our welding instructor during our 4th year apprenticeship. (Millwright)

Get a 230 amp AC/DC welder. Get some 1/8 inch 6013 (AC) rod. Its called "farmers rod" for a reason. It's easy to use and will suit your purposes. Turn the welder up to about 125 Amps. Depending on the carbon content of your metal, you might have to adjust the amprers. You can tell, if too high it will burn the rod too quick, if too cool, it will stick.

Before you start on your project, get some scrap metal and practice laying a bead. Tha 6013 is quite forgiving and cleans up well. Try to get the same practice material as your project so you can get the ampers right. Use a wire brush (not a grinder) to clean the metal first. Grinding causes glazing that won't give you as good as weld. Learn the right speed to run a continus bead moving the rod a tad so your bead resumbles a series of little attaching puddles. You need to go slow enough to get a deep weld without burning through.

Then you can use a grinder and wire wheel to clean up the project for painting.

Yeah a class would help greatly, but again its expensive, probably more then the cost of the project.

The more you can practice drawing a bead, the better your project will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't plan on using flux core with you want it to look good.

</div></div>

I beg to differ with that statement, unless you are talking about gasless flux core, which is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

FCAW can put down some very pretty (and very strong) welds if the gas isn't blown off and the base metals are clean. For general "around the farm" use, and quite a bit of industrial mild steel application, use E70 series wire with 75/25 gas. </div></div>

Yeah, gasless flux, nasty ugly stuff LOL, but it gets the job done quick and cheap.

I don't think I can improve on Tripwire's advise. My career is not welding but it is handy to know in my profession and it impresses the professional assholes(ass mashers....you know...bossmen).
My own personal welding experience started with a simple buzzbox. I built a small equipment trailer with one when I was pissin strong against the ground (a very young man). I had a mid-career crisis for about a year and I welded dental chairs for a living. When I interviewed for the job I was pretty nervous as I had to take a welding test and had never touched a MIG welder. Long story short, any monkey can be trained to weld with a MIG welder. Setting up and knowing what is being accomplished and how you got there(setting up the welder, adjusting gas etc.) is everything in MIG and it really isn't rocket science. In my experience if you master stick welding with a buzzbox everything else will come easy, even TIG. A simple basic course at the comunity college will probably not be money wasted.

A mig machine with gasless flux core and an auto darkening mask is all you need for what you want to do. If you later want to have a slightly cleaner appearing weld add a small argon tank, but the flux core makes a stronger weld. And you don't need to take any classes, it's extremely easy and with a little practice will look nice.....with that said though, I wouldn't weld anything critical without educational classes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MB198</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but the flux core makes a stronger weld. </div></div>

The subject at hand isn't necessarily a question of "what's the strongest glue". I'd bet solid money that I could braze something together "stronger" than what you can do with your gasless flux core....just because I know I can. Welding is more a matter of joint preperation, proper selection of filler metal, and having the ability to apply it successfully.

I've probably forgot a few things but unless you have spent the past three decades or more running TIG, MIG, SMAW, and FCAW in every position imaginable (sometimes standing on your head looking through a mirror) on such things as locomotives, subway transit cars, Caterpiller crawler frames/turrets, muninciple water line, 80 foot tall screw operated damper doors for Indonesian power stations, high end stainless/brass/nickle silver commercial doors/frames (some which I built are in the new US embassy in china), aluminum snowmobile trailers, enclosed cargo trailers, utility trailers, and car haulers, injection barrels/screws for the polymer and food processing industries; and/or fin-to-tube, attachment-to-tube, tube-to-tube, tube-to-header, stub-to-header, header cap-to-header for coal/natural gas fired power generation componentry (100% xray, 308/309/310 SS, Inconel, 70 series, 80 series, and 90 series wires, preheat/post heat, etc); along with your various fab shop work as small as fixing some local farm machinery, to as medium as building a new custom width hoe bucket from scratch for a local contractor, to as big as building "jack stands" to hold truckless subway transit cars 7 feet off the floor and not smash the dozen or so mechanics/plumbers/electricians working under them, etc, etc.; and/or have trained countless welders over the years to also perform the above tasks in team leader or supervisory roles......then maybe you and all the rest lauding it should just sit down and keep quiet about the magic of your wonderful gasless flux core POS garbage.

The guy wants to weld some basic shit on his farm; a simple cheap buzz box and some farmer rod will do everything he needs to do........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The guy wants to weld some basic shit on his farm; a simple cheap buzz box and some farmer rod will do everything he needs to do........ </div></div>

This is very good advice - I have that 30 years of welding ( more, started when I was 13, even a kid can do it )experience - these are the things I HAVE welded on these days:

IMG_1059.jpg

That is a gas turbine blade, made of "unweldable" superalloy. As you can see, with the right equipment, and proper preparation, it can be welded successfully.

Get the Lincoln cracker box - use it to learn the basics, it will serve you well and last a long time. If you like blue instead of red, get the Miller suitcase, but it costs more.

After you learn more, you will understand what you need, and learn where to ask questions. I am afraid here, most of what you are gonna get is" I have an XXXXX, and it is the best thing ever, because I know about it." No, it's not. The best tool for you, is the one that gets done what you need, safely, at minimum cost and learning. That, is the familiar crackerbox. Get that and a box of 6013, and you good to go. Come later, you'll upgrade if you need to.

Tripwire, I see we have worked on many of the same things! Power generation guy here, originally.

Get a lincoln stick welder it will do anything you want it to do, much cheaper and very easy to learn bought one myself 15 years ago at a farm auction for 75 bucks taught myself to weld its very simple. By the way the welder still works fine.

This is good info - when I retire, or change jobs, I'd like to learn to weld.

I have a buddy who welds and he is building these battery operated 3 wheeled ergo bicycles....suckers go about 20 miles on a charge and then you pedal!
smile.gif

I learned on the old Lincoln tombstone welder (crackerbox / buzzbox) and a Lincoln Pipeliner 200 when I was around 10 on the farm. Being that my great uncle owns a pipeline construction company where I've worked since high school. I've been around a lot of welders. If you can swing it try and find a used but in good shape Lincoln Pipeliner. Put it on a small trailer and you can fix whatever you need on the farm. If you get the AC/DC version it can also be used as a generator if you ever need one.

Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to start looking at the stick welders recommended. It sounds easier to use the Mig, but I like the idea of being able to weld outdoors or in breezy conditions, and not having to have gas.

Thanks again, maybe I can turn this into a "watch me destroy a lot of metal" learning how to weld thread later when I get started.

I still have some questions, but gonna do some reading on stick, get some info on the lincoln recommended, and see where this goes.