• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need to pick you guy's brains?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
So I have a Marlin XT-22 it shoots ok, but it leaves alot to be desired, I've bedded, free floated, etc. I think the barrel could be better. So my question is would it be beneficial to thread the action and thread a barrel into the action, such as a centerfire action is done? The barrel has a pin holding it into the action at the moment, just doesn't seem like a very good setup to me.

I was considering ordering a raw .22LR blank from Green Mtn. to begin with or would you guys recommend a different blank? Thanks guys!

Re: Need to pick you guy's brains?

How many brands of ammo have you tried as a .22RF can be very picky?

Paul

I have tried quite a few brands. Nothing has shot just phenomenal in it past 25yds. Another reason I wanna do this is I am taking machinist courses and I would like to use what I have learned to make my guns shoot better. That would be my dream profession building rifles for a living!

What group size at 25? You'll have to be reasonable in your expectations of this gun...it's no target rifle. So, if you're getting around 1" groups at 25...don't sweat it.

be specific...what ammunition?

Many quality 22's have pinned/clamped barrels and they shoot lights out...threading the action and screwing on the same barrel isn't going to do anything for accuracy. What will make a difference is setting the barrel back, cutting a new chamber and getting a good crown.

If you do decide to go with threading the action and go with a new barrel, the new barrel will do more than the threading will have done. To me, it would be a waste of time.

If you just want the barrel threaded into the receiver...go for it, just don't expect any changes.

If you're goal is to have a fine shooting 22, consider getting a Savage Mark II (FV, TR) or CZ 455. Then keep the the Marlin as a project.

On your issue with pinning the barrel...have you tried to remove it? Some barrels are pressed then pinned and are extremely difficult to remove.

I have a CZ 455 on the way. I was mostly thinking this would be a nice project, and could increase the accuracy of the rifle. I was also going to add a larger diameter barrel.

At 25yds the thing is a tack driver, but even at 50yds I lose my groups considerably. That is with SK Standard Plus ammo.

Would setting the barrel back and cutting a new chamber really be more effective? The pin holding the barrel just doesn't seem like a good system. However I guess it does work for Savage rimfires. I still think it would be an interesting project to thread the receiver.

*I have a CZ 455 on the way. I was mostly thinking this would be a nice project, and could increase the accuracy of the rifle. I was also going to add a larger diameter barrel.

At 25yds the thing is a tack driver, but even at 50yds I lose my groups considerably. That is with SK Standard Plus ammo.

Would setting the barrel back and cutting a new chamber really be more effective? The pin holding the barrel just doesn't seem like a good system. However I guess it does work for Savage rimfires. I still think it would be an interesting project to thread the receiver.*

If it doesn't any sentimental value - go for it. otherwise it'll alway be nagging at you as "unfinished business"

Will it be more accurate? No. Rimfires are way to picky about what phase of the moon and which way your hair is parted to shoot as well as a anchutz 10Mtr rifle.

Post pix!

Clean it.
Shoot some Wolf, SK, Eley through it and see what it will do. Give it a honest test and let us know.

Your not likely to get "match grade" accuracy from thunderbolts, golden sabres, blazer or other bulk and $1/box ammo.

EDIT:
There is also a rimfire section on this site, alot of good info and members who will share their knowledge.

I have shot expensive ammo thru it several time and nothing seems to keep consistent groupings. It has no sentimental value whatsoever so I think I might turn it into my project rifle. Although it won't be in any hurry, my CZ should be here soon (I hope) and then that'll be my project for awhile.

You have to remember, that a 22 RF bullet is very much a wind indicator. At 25 yds, the wind has little effect, at 50 yds, a 10 mph breeze can move the shot 1". And variations in muzzle velocity at 50 yds open up vertical groups.

what group size are you getting at 50?

What scope are you using?

Has anyone else shot the rifle at 50? If not, get someone who is a better shot than you to try it out.

What bullet weights are you using?

just for grins, try some green tag, CCI subsonic, CB longs

I guess I am getting the types of groups that I should expect from this rifle, I do need to try and find the ammo it likes, have yet to try them all. However I also want to learn with this rifle, I like to tinker with things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I ever have doubts about a rifle shooting to its potential, my first move is to have the crown inspected, and recrowned if questionable.

Cleaning .22LR's should occur A) when switching brands of ammo, and B) when they are just too badly slobbered up to function reliably.

.22LR's tend to collect lead in a small ring right at the very front end of the chamber (in the chamber, not ahead of it). This area needs to be thoroughly soaked with Shooter's Choice Lead Remover Bore Cleaning Solvent at least once a year and vigorously brushed to remove this lead buildup. This lead buildup is the key reason why .22LR's mysteriously lose their exquisite accuracy over time and refuse to shoot the way they did when they were new.

Greg

i doubt threading the barrel and action will help. a higher quality barrel with good ammo will be your best bet to better groups. a good trigger and good shooter don't hurt either

Sorry guys, but I have made up my mind. I'm gonna do this; however I won't thread the action and barrel. I will just do it how people have done their MKII's in the past. I'm going to do this and some trigger work, should be a sweet shooting rifle when done! Wish I could do it now, but my CZ came in today and will be receiving most of my free time!