• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Needing advice for my new rifle

Rjl0110

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2013
South carolina
I need the experience and help of some more more knowledgable group so I am hoping you guys can help. I am thinking about either building or buying a rifle from one of the guys on here. I have a scar 17 with an accupoint 5x20x50 mil dot optic right now along with a lot of other tactical semi auto weapons but its time I buy a well made rifle. I was first thinking of going with the savage 110 ba in .308 but can't seem to make my mind up. To get to the point I really like the manners stocks, but the rest of the weapon is the question. I'm gonna keep my optic for the moment until I get the rifle bought or built then I will go to the nightforce. Can someone give me some advice with the action and barrel. I was thinking remington 700 action but the barrel is the hard one. Thanks for reading the ramble and hopefully I can get this done soon because it has plagued me for a long time. Thanks again.

IMO:

The Savage 10BA is way, WAY unnecessarily heavy and ugly to boot. Assuming you are set on a 308 bolt gun, you'd be better served buying a 10FP-SR or another Savage and dropping it into the stock or chassis of your choice.

Or do what a bazillion other folks do, get a 700 AAC-SD and...drop it into the stock or chassis of your choice, and after a few thousand rounds decide if you want it to stay a 308 or rebarrel to something else.

^ He meant 3-5K on the rifle only... since he's keeping the optic... although I like where your heads at with optics choices.

NOTE: above post was deleted.

Last edited:
Scan the firearms for sale thread. You will save alot of money vs having one built..without the wait. Put the money saved toward your nightforce purchase.

I hope you take this the right way, but I'd advise you getting a factory Remington or Savage 308WIN and shooting it a LOT. If you get a custom gun right now, you are going to want to change everything shortly after you start shooting.....been there and done that....a few times. You REALLY need to have a good idea of what activities you are interested in doing with your rifle. I'd confirm those intentions by shooting a factory rifle for a while. Buy a used Remington or Savage from someone on this site. Of course, if you're made of money and have a patient wife, then go buy an expensive custom gun a few times over . :)

Last edited:
I bought a Savage fcp from coldboremiracle off of here last week. It was a fantastic deal, and it way outshoots me. As a rookie long range shooter my advice may be suspect, but with this rifle I can learn the skills I need then upgrade. Think i will always love this rifle, but imagine I will want to step up in the next couple of years (maybe tomorrow), but scotharr's advice resonates with me.

TRG22, done deal... If you are set on a rifle with a Manners then I would get a T3 varmint and upgrade to the Manners. Do yourself a favor and have it bedded. However for your budget you could roll with about anything you want short of an AW or AX. That being said start making a list of what is important to you and what isn't important to you in this build and use that as a guide for the rifle. Do your research it will pay off big time in the end. After it is all said and done there will be a ton of great ideas but only you will be able to determine what is right for you.

I've had my remington 700 sps tactical just not the treaded AAC barrel. I'm going to maybe hunt and try some 800 plus yard shots. This is just my first high end bolt gun. I even considered the 300wm but changed my mind.

Problem solved, there is a tac ops ECHO for sale for 4K and a GAP 6.5 Creedmoor for sale for 3K.

Both are incredible weapons and the manners T5A is already on the 6.5CM.

Both you can reload or buy factory ammo at a great price.

Both will be very accurate and have plenty barrel life left. Just decide between the two. And that is just 2 of them I looked at that I would recommend to you.

Good luck!

you could get a gap, surgeon, AI, basically AI is the best factory rifle you can get with the accuracy of a custom. If you could get 7k then a AI AX would be a nice investment but make sure your getting what fits you and suits you best

For 3-5K get a Remington 700 based custom. GAP and Short Action Customs are good places to start.

Another option is a Tikka T3 in a Whiskey3 chassis.

Do you reload? If not your money may be better serve in dedicating some dough to this.

Have you considered "building"? LRI has a Rem 700 accurizing deal going that quite a few folks are in. I have a couple builds in the works, a .260 and a .308: Rem 700 SA accurized, any quality barrel from bugholes, Jewell trigger, surgeon bottom metal and a nice stock will add up to be ~$3-3.5k. I will likely go with a Rock Creek and a Mullerworks barrel, with a KRG folder and a McMillan A5 adjustable stock. The KRG build saves the cost of bottom metal and the inlet work which adds up. Many a sweet shooters have been born with this sorta semi-custom build.

I appreciate everyone's help I've been scanning the gun for sale on the site and found a couple, my former job in the army gave me long range skills. Today I put my trijicon on my scar 17 with my repr mount and was shooting off my gg&g bipod and shot good groups at 800 yds. So I'm getting really excited about finding my new weapon. I like the Gap weapons but like someone said I need to think about what in really going to do with the rifle. Hunting and recreational shooting will be most of it.i don't have a lot of experience with sakos so if someone cld educate me I'd appreciate it.

Buy one in the classifieds and take your time to decide what you want to build. Ask a lot of questions and pay attention to the forums. There's lot to learn on here. Good luck!