• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neighbor shooting toward my property

Shooter McGavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 22, 2009
    Some where in the US
    I have been on hold with DPS for an hour. I just hung up. So, my fellow Texans I need a little help. Here's the deal, my neighbor has shot into my wooded area just willy nilly thinking the trees are going to stop his 55 grain bullets. I confronted him on that and showed him the drawing of the survey and where the property lines are. Also, I have cows in the pasture on the other side of those woods.

Yesterday he told me he is going to build a run and gun range on his property. All of the berms would be placed in front of my property along the property line, meaning any round misses a berm and it will go into my property. He plans on putting one in the corner of his property that is vey close to my house and we use that land directly behind where the berm is going for recreation.

When he informed me of what he was doing I told him that I didn't want him to do that and he brushed me off. I have heard the you need at least 50 acres to fire center fire rifles in the state of Texas and he only has 18 acres. Can anyone confirm that?

Thank in advance,

Shooter

Re: Neighbor shooting toward my property

I would call the County Commissioners, Code Enforcement in your area, and City Council if you're within city limits. Then you might want to research some good Real Estate Attorneys in your area.

I spoke with the County Clerk's office and they passed me onto the County Sheriff's office who the passed my over to DPS. My wife called a lawyer to see what can be done and they suggested filling a report with the Sheriff's office and then to get a restraining order. Seems a little to much to start with. I just want to be able to show him the law if there is a law stating he needs a least 50 acres to shoot centerfire rifle on his property.

County clerk is useless. They only process and record. I'm a Real Estate Broker and the people I suggested are your first line of defense. The Code Enforcement Officer should be able to tell you if he actually can or can not, what permits would be required if he can, and then I'm sure they'll be all over them for compliance. If there is any shooting near your home that could be construed as hazardous and limits your use of the property, i.e. excessive noise requiring hearing protection and the possibility of strays or ricochets, then you're neighbor would be violating your right to "Quiet Enjoyment" and you could bring suit for loss of value on your home and/or relocation costs. A good attorney is your best bet though. I would pay for consultation and get a hold of the aforementioned people ASAP.

Add: I am NOT an attorney though and also I'm in WA not TX, so you should contact someone in your area who would know far more.

Also, make sure your wife is looking specifically for a "Real Estate" Attorney. Maybe call come local real estate brokerages and see who they'd recommend.

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 18, Sec. 4, eff. May 3, 2005.

Sec. 229.003. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON BY CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES. (a) This section applies only to a municipality located wholly or partly in a county:

(1) with a population of 750,000 or more;

(2) in which all or part of a municipality with a population of one million or more is located; and

(3) that is located adjacent to a county with a population of two million or more.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 229.002, a municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and:

(i) more than 1,000 feet from:

(a) the property line of a public tract of land, generally accessible by the public, that is routinely used for organized sporting or recreational activities or that has permanent recreational facilities or equipment; and

(b) the property line of a school, hospital, or commercial day-care facility;

(ii) more than 600 feet from:

(a) the property line of a residential subdivision; and

(b) the property line of a multifamily residential complex; and

(iii) more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and:

(i) more than 1,000 feet from:

(a) the property line of a public tract of land, generally accessible by the public, that is routinely used for organized sporting or recreational activities or that has permanent recreational facilities or equipment; and

(b) the property line of a school, hospital, or commercial day-care facility;

(ii) more than 600 feet from:

(a) the property line of a residential subdivision; and

(b) the property line of a multifamily residential complex; and

(iii) more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(3) discharged at a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of a tract of land.

Added by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1230, Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2009.

Amended by:

Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1163, Sec. 81, eff. September 1, 2011.

Sec. 229.004. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON BY CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES. (a) This section applies only to a municipality located in a county in which the majority of the population of two or more municipalities with a population of 300,000 or more are located.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 229.002, a municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality on or before September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(A) on a tract of land of 100 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(A) on a tract of land of 100 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 306, Sec. 1, eff. June 17, 2011.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two way range out of the question when he shoots? I mean really, if he likes to shoot toward you, have at it...last man standing is right </div></div>

Beat me to it Switch. Hunting accidents just happen.
    frown.gif

lol, shoot back was my first thought too. i hate to close a range but in your case id have no problems stopping one from opening in your back yard. commissioners and code people are your first stop id guess

That first call to the police with you telling them your neighbor is currently shooting at you while you're inside your house with a rifle will surely get the results that are needed here.

Last year, my house and barn got rained with shot from my neighbors who were drinking and shooting skeet targets right at us. Our place is not visible from Le Mansion next door, but we got the fallout as the weekender Quebecois sucked their Molsons and blasted skeets. Zut alors, Tabernaq.

First instinct involved my MG42 and several belts at 1200 RPM. And the 60mm Mortar.

But after counting to ten, taking some deep breaths and making a quick call down to the office, one of the other guys from the PD talked to them and pointed them in a different direction for 'future' shooting. And gave a strict lecture on drinking and shooting! And how American prisons differ from their Canadian counterparts. The problem has not resurfaced...

I could care less about noise. It's the sound of the 2nd Amendment. And I shoot, too. But only an idiot drops shot on (or places rounds over) a neighbor.

That said, use legal means. You won't do yourself any good to get into a pi**ing match where you could get charged with something bad. Even confronting a neighbor yourself could degenerate into something bad if you are not careful. Not that neighbors should not talk to each other -- they should. But if you or your neighbor has a short fuse... just think long and hard before acting. In my case, I wasn't going to go, off duty, to deal w. an incident that the on-duty guys can handle. Just not going to go there off-duty.

One thing to do for sure is to get PD out to record incidents when your neighbor shoots into your place. They will write it up, the incident will be recorded and they will likely talk to him.

Of note, when the Sgt. from my PD come up for the above incident with the 'neighbors' he hadn't been in my driveway for 2 minutes when both of us (and his brand-new not-a-scratch-on-it cruiser) got peppered with shot. Case closed???!!!

Once recorded, you may be able to use the incidents as a basis to stop 'formal' range construction. But if the guy just wants to make something for his own use (ie. not commercial) it may be a tough row to hoe for you. Hard to stop someone from doing something for personal use on their own property. But I am not familiar enough with TX law to know what can or cannot fly. The above posts may be a better guide.

IMHO, 19 acres should be plenty of space to make a 'safe' area to shoot, say, precision rifles or .22 targets or handguns with a safe backstop. But 19 acres does not necessarily make a safe area for tactical shooting or 'run and gun' stuff where fast-fired rounds might go off range or over berms.

Just some thoughts... I hate it when people act like jackasses with their shooting. Ruins the sport for all of us. But use your local LE as an ally. Don't become the perp when you are the victim here!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Here's a map of the properties:

property1.jpg

The berm closest to the house were the kids jungle gym is right behind where the berm is to be built. Also, the berm in the middle shoot towards my land and I keep cows in the pasture right behind that berm.

Another thing, I was fixing my fence one day and he was shooting towards me at a small berm that was between me and him. Also, he has had neighbors complain, but no police report filed, that he shot their metal barn.

I looked up the laws (thank you for helping me out with those) and it looks as if you need to have at least 50 acres of land to fire a center fire rifle or rimfire rifle/pistol. He doesn't have the acreage to fire his AR 15. I plan on talking to him about the laws and have already printed them out to hand to him. Also, he has already violate this law 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE. If he still insist on shooting his AR I will call the Sheriffs dept. and file a complaint.

I was totally cool with him shooting away from our home. However, once he stated what he wanted to do my wife has freaked out. She thinks he's an idiot and should't shoot anywhere now because of wanting to build a berm that close to our house. He is kind of dense, when I told him I wasn't cool with him shooting towards our house he couldn't understand why. That land isn't even his. It's his Dad's land and house.

This is a perfect scenario to setup cameras and record him while in "action" take those videos and especially a map to the sheriffs or better yet do what Mechanic did and call them over while he's "training" and I'm pretty sure a competent LEO will have word with him. U did your part by talking to him, I would just let him know about the laws and go from there if he continues to be unsportsmanlike. Try try try not to be little him or make a scene because neither if you will probably leave the area and you will have to deal with him for a long time. Definitely don't want it to turn into the McCoys-Hatfield fued. Good luck

If they guy acts a douche when you hand him the specific statute he is breaking and request he not shoot toward your house ever again, I'd call DPS to file a criminal complaint while standing right there talking to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a map of the properties:

property1.jpg

The berm closest to the house were the kids jungle gym is right behind where the berm is to be built. Also, the berm in the middle shoot towards my land and I keep cows in the pasture right behind that berm.

Another thing, I was fixing my fence one day and he was shooting towards me at a small berm that was between me and him. Also, he has had neighbors complain, but no police report filed, that he shot their metal barn.

I looked up the laws (thank you for helping me out with those) and it looks as if you need to have at least 50 acres of land to fire a center fire rifle or rimfire rifle/pistol. He doesn't have the acreage to fire his AR 15. I plan on talking to him about the laws and have already printed them out to hand to him. Also, he has already violate this law 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE. If he still insist on shooting his AR I will call the Sheriffs dept. and file a complaint.

I was totally cool with him shooting away from our home. However, once he stated what he wanted to do my wife has freaked out. She thinks he's an idiot and should't shoot anywhere now because of wanting to build a berm that close to our house. He is kind of dense, when I told him I wasn't cool with him shooting towards are house he couldn't understand why. That land isn't even his. It's his Dad's land and house. </div></div>

After looking at the map Id be all over the motherfucker like stink on shit.

Or else be really quiet and one night while hes at the bar theres an unexplainable fire at his house. Didnt know the guy had all that thermite stored in the basement. Wonder what lit it off?

First this is the County Sheriffs jurisdiction. File a complaint with him the next time he shoots. Next contact the local DA's office and speak to a criminal attorney or the DA about this get his opinion on legality. From what I have been told by a LE friend if the round crosses the property line it is a felony.

Air strike, and it's all over.

Seriously though, there are stupid people in this world. Sure, I get that. But are there "places of Lower Learning" where individuals go to excel at their slant?

The whole concept of this, to me, is unfathomable. I am having a hard time believing that this is a conversation, let alone an apparently "active situation."

Just 'wow.'

Wow, what a clown. I'd have a serious problem with the shooting towards where my kids are supposed to play. What an idiot.

I would hand him the copies of the laws, then tell him which ones he is in violation of. If he degrades the situation on the spot, my first reaction would be to step back, call the police right in front of him, and let them know you want to file charges on him with dates and times. I am sure he may be smart enough to recognize that a slightly extended vacation from work and family, or a large fine is not a good thing

I hope I'm wrong but the problem with this situation is that I doubt the laws will be enforced until it's too late, i.e. you, your kids, your property will have to get shot before anyone decides to enforce them.

Rounds can not leave the property period. Send your concerns by certified letter to this asshats father or whoever is the owner of record. Regards

Call the police on him as soon are he start shooting into your property again. This isn't something which is going to get better by talking to the guy. Even if the first time they don't do anything every time he shoots call the police at least there will be a record.

I've seen enough night shoots to see tracers skip off of berms and do amazing ballistic feats and ballets that defy the laws of physics. A berm isn't at all sufficient that close to a dwelling to prevent a tragedy.

Clearly this asshat doesn't have ANY common sense. Given his demonstrated lack of respect for safety and awareness of the potential destructive power of his weapons, I would be in a constant state of paranoia that a negligent discharge would be heading your way (berm or no berm). Guarantee he's an accident waiting to happen.

I wouldn't sleep until this situation is resolved. And I would be proactive. My God, your kids' playground and BBQ area are DIRECTLY behind the berm.

Switchblade and KAZ have it right. Continue to be proactive and ASSERTIVE.

McGavin have you called the County Commissioners office and the Code Enforcement office yet?

I know you want to try and salvage a friendly relation with your neighbor, but dude... He's already shooting in your direction with a complete disregard for you or your family's well being. Do you really expect that someone like that is going to be rational, civil, or have an ounce of common sense to begin with? Look at your map you've drawn... Unless he can build a berm taller than your house a round could EASILY skip off the top and redirect towards your house.

wow, man thats crazy. no way that should happen. have you talked to the father, the actual property owner? id get a cease and desist order if thats possible right off the bat. id hate to say it, but lawyers may be needed if LEO and zoning cant stop this idiot

Could be that he's thinking you're just a 'city slicker' who'll scare easy and run off right away. Scare off at the first sign of conflict/aggression.

That way he can buy your land cheap, and he has bigger property.

I ain't saying that this is correct, or right, or moral. I'm ONLY attempting to imagine what an inbred, drunked up, delusional, local-yokel screwball idiot with more shoe-laces than IQ points might be thinking.

If so, turn the tables on him, and OWN his ass. And assets. And everything else in-between. Even though it/they'll all probably fit in a suitcase and two gun cases.

Point is, All This Could Be Yours,,,,, IF The "Price Is Right!!!" (or the game is played properly AND safely)

i'm pretty sure the law is in your favor on this one. so refrain (as hard as it may be) from breaking the law due to agitation that this idiot doesnt have common courtesy and 2 IQ points

The way the law is written it looks like if he shoots his AR on his property he is committing a crime, a class C misdemeanor. I haven't had a chance to talk with as of yet. This guy is a 30 something former Marine. I would like to keep it neighborly and just have him stop shooting.

If he still wants to shoot a center fire rifle I will call the Sheriffs dept. every time. This will give me the paper trail I will need to get a cease and desist order from the court. I will not shoot at his house that will make me just like him and idiot with a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will not shoot at his house that will make me just like him and idiot with a gun. </div></div>

What? No fougasse in the wire?
    laugh.gif

Had a situation similar to this in my township. One neighbor having freinds over and shooting toward another neighbors house. He had a small dirt mound that they used as a backstop. Twice someone shot over the backstop and hit the other neighbors home. Once going through a window and lampshade which sat on a desk in the home. Second incident was into the side of the home. Police were called both times. Police were able to recover the bullet on the second occasion. It was a 9mm round. They went to the shooters property and took his guns for ballistics testing to compare against recovered bullet. They did not match and therefore they could do nothing. No proof that the other neighbor did the shooting. There are no rules or regulations in our township that could be enforced for shooting on private, non commercial property.

Best of luck with that bad situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be that he's thinking you're just a 'city slicker' who'll scare easy and run off right away. Scare off at the first sign of conflict/aggression.

That way he can buy your land cheap, and he has bigger property.

I ain't saying that this is correct, or right, or moral. I'm ONLY attempting to imagine what an inbred, drunked up, delusional, local-yokel screwball idiot with more shoe-laces than IQ points might be thinking.

If so, turn the tables on him, and OWN his ass. And assets. And everything else in-between. Even though it/they'll all probably fit in a suitcase and two gun cases.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Point is, All This Could Be Yours </span> ,,,,, IF The "Price Is Right!!!" ( <span style="color: #FF0000"> or the game is played properly AND safely</span> )

</div></div>

I believe Sean nailed it.

Well, if he catches a bullet in the gizzard, I guess he (or his wife) could sue. Other than that, how does that plan work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if he catches a bullet in the gizzard, I guess he (or his wife) could sue. Other than that, how does that plan work?

</div></div>

Be thourough. Document everything with police reports. Show that you have bent over backwards to reason with him. Then, if a bullet hits your house, YOU SUE HIM, for damage to property, your suffering of fear for your life and the lives of your family, anguish, loss of sleep, inability to concentrate and anything else the slickest attorney you can find can dream up. The right attorney will take it on a percentage, and he (your neighbor) will have to hire an attorney, and those parasites aint cheap. So mabey you can run him broke with bills, then buy his palce for pennies on the dollar.

In preparation for the joyful day that you own his property, why dont you draw us up a new map of YOUR larger place with well placed berms for YOUR new range.

Kapeesh?

Maggot out.

Document, document.

You could ask him to put the berm by his house and he can shoot from the property line by your house.

Funny how you can plug the street names from your map and find it on Google maps. That East berm looks perfect, let him shoot parallel along his driveway. He should be able to get 100 yards easy and he is shooting eastward, which there doesn't seem to be anything for aways.

Tell him that the west berm would suck because he is going to be shooting into the sun.

How neighborly are you and how often are cattle on that Southest pasture? Tell him that a north facing range is the best and you'll let him put a berm in the north east corner that you can shoot at along your property line from the south east corner. Easily 200m it looks like. If anything he is shooting towards his house then, you actually have 50 acres and a free berm. He's a marine and a fellow Texan, how bad can he really be
    wink.gif

First go through all the niceties towards him and document them. Assuming you own the property,iIf he's remains a jerk, rent a dozer and build your own monster berm right on your side of his property line where his view is ruined but yours is not. Run the dozer at some early hour in the day when he likes to sleep. Keep working sporadically on the project never finishing it. Your early efforts at dozing will naturally be messy and ugly. Make it as ugly as possible in his direction. If he complains remind him he created the problem.

I got an old CAT D7 and taught myself how to run it for fun. All my neighbors pay attention when I fire it up. I have good neighbors on all sides except one whack job and when I peacefully doze on my side of his fenceline it drives him into a frenzy. He'll call me up spewing all kinds of nonsense which I calmly ignore. Your lousy neighbor may be calling you asking you what's it going to take for you to stop dozing. Just an idea for you.

Read the posted statutes again. They are written to prevent local municipalities from imposing anti-shooting regulations under certain situations. Simply the fact that he is under 50 acres does not mean he can't shoot there by the laws posted; only that, if in a municipality, they can impose laws to restrict him. If you are in the unincorporated part of a county, it is likely legal for him to shoot there.

HOWEVER...the part about reasonable expectation of a bullet crossing a property line...especially with him putting a berm right in line with your house and kids' play area. Since this is a "run and gun" course, unless his berm is 15-20ft high, while you may not have him in a place where they will immediately cite/prosecute him, you can inform him that if he proceeds with his plans you will have him in court and the law is most likely to fall on your side.

I NEVER let the sound of someone else shooting nearby bother me. If it's in the country, and they're doing it safely, well that's part of living in the country. But what he is doing is not safe unless his berms are big enough.

I live on 15 acres with my own range. But when I built it I sacrificed 50 yards of length to put it in the most safe configuration possible. My berms are only 8ft but the only rifle shooting I do is slow fire from a bench, and you can't see the next house behind my berm (~2 miles). And I'll shortly be adding another 4 feet of dirt-filled tires to the top, just in case.

If he shot your trees you should sue him. I can't mill them if my blade breaks. Trees = $$$$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked up the laws (thank you for helping me out with those) and it looks as if you need to have at least 50 acres of land to fire a center fire rifle or rimfire rifle/pistol.</div></div>

That is not how I understand it. If you have 50 acres, the town or city cannot keep you from shooting a centerfire rifle.

It does not mean you cannot shoot on smaller parcels. Many rifle ranges are less than 50 acres.

Shooter McGavin said:
    Here's a map of the properties:

property1.jpg

map.jpg

Has he cleared a lot of trees since google maps was updated? Your map does not seem to accurately depict the situation you describe.

Thats a sat pic before the house was finished. The corner of the property where the trees are shown are now gone and dirt from that area was used as fill for the emergency store shed which is behind the house. I will take some pics of the woods so you all can get a better idea.

Now that you're zeroed in, when are we gonna come over, dig a pit, lay down some good wood, and fire up some Q?

laugh.gif

While you're taking those pictures to better illustrate for us, the brisket-deprived, make sure you have video capability just in case Rambo decides to open up on you.

Okay here are the pics:

My backyard looking towards his:

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

My house, as seen through the trees. Remember I am on my on property for this photo.

IMG_0422.jpg

Some clearing on his property:

IMG_0421.jpg

Close up of same:

IMG_0420.jpg

My woods he shot into, thinking the trees will stop his bullets:

IMG_0418.jpg

map.jpg

As you can see the Sat. Pic. makes it look a lot denser then the trees really are.

The land belongs to his father, that may be the person to contact. Perhaps his father is wise enough to understand how unacceptable the civil liability of shooting your direction could be. If the father realizes that the shooting could end up with him loosing the property (and who knows what else) to you in a civil suit, he will tell his son "cease and desist".

Definitely speak with the owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those trees aren't stopping shit! </div></div>

It's like a picture dictionary entry explaining the difference between cover and concealment.