• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nephew asked what does it feel like to get shot?

So he's worried about getting shot. I'd be more concerned about serving with a bunch of creepy faggot misfits if I were him. If this doesn't bother him then he's beyond accepting any common sense advice.

To paraphrase Slim Pickens; "Uncle Sam is paying you to fight, not dance around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots!"

iu

iu

iu

b75f80cff3eebd774b66b3f4646b0722.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
How do the shoes look nearly untouched compared to the body?
Look at the burn pattern on the bed of the truck and the flash burn on the top of his right shoe. Looks consistent. I’m sure he never new what hit him, the horrors of war.

I never said go straight to WO.

Not directly but that's the implication most of us got.

You don't go to the WO ranks unless you're in the Army or you've put in shitloads of time in, and become a subject matter expert in a particular trade.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
Regardless of the branch of service if someone is asking questions telling them all the options that come with that decision isn't a bad thing. It's called being a mentor or giving guidance. God knows it doesn't hurt.

I never said go straight to WO. Why that conclusion was being inferred is just making an argument for no reason.
Probably because he's asking about initial enlistment and you said, "go Warrant". Not very accurate "mentoring" as it most definitely implies he should do it now.

As far as I know only the Army does that and ONLY for helo pilots. Something not mentioned in the OP's post.

Now had you said, after he has been in a while have him apply for Warrant, then that would be some good guidance. However that is still totally dependent on the aptitude, motivation and desires of the kid you have never met. Even if they have the necessary MOS skills, not everyone is cut out nor desires to be a Warrant Officer.

Shot twice. Once in the head and in the back.

Head shot knocked me out when I was bending down to look more closely at something. I woke up in the water of the creek I was in. Stood up with blood pouring down my face. Ears ringing. Had a nice graze wound. Kept driving on.

Back was hit by a ricochet fragments. Went in a couple of inches. Hot for a second and lots of blood. But did not hurt. Kept driving on.

Everyone reacts differently.

A close friend took a round to his leg and it broke the femur. Took two to his body armor. That hurt more than the leg initially. Said it was hot and then he fell down as if his leg was swept. He put on his own tourniquet. The pain was pretty bad when the adrenaline wore off. Morphine helped a lot. He wishes now that he had managed the pain without Modern painkillers as they are addictive.

My dad was shot twice in Vietnam. Chest and arm. Said it was hot then some blood. Got patched up and finished the mission. Then spent a couple of weeks on light duty.

Four greater uncles jumped into Sicily and then into Anzio. Three got wounded in Sicily and kept going. One died at Anzio and two evacuated and medically retired. One had shrapnel in his brain, another lost a leg and died on the battlefield, and a third a hand. All three got shot at Sicily and all three got artied at Anzio. All spent days in hand to hand combat in both battles. They hated Germans and thought they could win any hand to hand battle. But feared German artillery.

Both my dad and uncles and I think its how you handle yourself after you are wounded. If you let yourself go into shock mentally, then the body will follow, even if its survivable. And most gunshot wounds are survivable if you do first aid and then manage yourself. They saw a lot of men panic and then die from stuff that was survivable.

The Navy is a different animal than the Army. Really depends on his job and if he is posted to a ship.

Today is different I suppose. But during the Cold War we all knew that some missions were one way trips and we trusted our commanders and the national leadership to spend our lives well. The training was realistic and hard and mission sets were usually planned such that the objectives were achievable. And then tested.

In any case, he should be focused on doing his mission to the best of his ability all the time and knowing the jobs of those in his unit. And leading himself and his peers and putting pressure on the NCO and Officers to be better every day. Know his job, being part of a team and being trusted on that team will be the best insurance.

Now is a great time to go in. With a lot of people quitting it will be easy to get promotions and with the usual see-saw in politics, the cleanup of the ranks and good funding coming will give him lots of opportunities. Two of my Army roommates go out about this same time under Clinton and then came back as officers and rose to field grade.

Probably because he's asking about initial enlistment and you said, "go Warrant". Not very accurate "mentoring" as it most definitely implies he should do it now.

As far as I know only the Army does that and ONLY for helo pilots. Something not mentioned in the OP's post.

Now had you said, after he has been in a while have him apply for Warrant, then that would be some good guidance. However that is still totally dependent on the aptitude, motivation and desires of the kid you have never met. Even if they have the necessary MOS skills, not everyone is cut out nor desires to be a Warrant Officer.

They still have to go through WOC school. Rucker’s WOC is a no shitter hard school. Or used to be.

Reactions: TXAZ
Shot twice. Once in the head and in the back.

Head shot knocked me out when I was bending down to look more closely at something. I woke up in the water of the creek I was in. Stood up with blood pouring down my face. Ears ringing. Had a nice graze wound. Kept driving on.

Back was hit by a ricochet fragments. Went in a couple of inches. Hot for a second and lots of blood. But did not hurt. Kept driving on.

Everyone reacts differently.

A close friend took a round to his leg and it broke the femur. Took two to his body armor. That hurt more than the leg initially. Said it was hot and then he fell down as if his leg was swept. He put on his own tourniquet. The pain was pretty bad when the adrenaline wore off. Morphine helped a lot. He wishes now that he had managed the pain without Modern painkillers as they are addictive.

My dad was shot twice in Vietnam. Chest and arm. Said it was hot then some blood. Got patched up and finished the mission. Then spent a couple of weeks on light duty.

Four greater uncles jumped into Sicily and then into Anzio. Three got wounded in Sicily and kept going. One died at Anzio and two evacuated and medically retired. One had shrapnel in his brain, another lost a leg and died on the battlefield, and a third a hand. All three got shot at Sicily and all three got artied at Anzio. All spent days in hand to hand combat in both battles. They hated Germans and thought they could win any hand to hand battle. But feared German artillery.

Both my dad and uncles and I think its how you handle yourself after you are wounded. If you let yourself go into shock mentally, then the body will follow, even if its survivable. And most gunshot wounds are survivable if you do first aid and then manage yourself. They saw a lot of men panic and then die from stuff that was survivable.

The Navy is a different animal than the Army. Really depends on his job and if he is posted to a ship.

Today is different I suppose. But during the Cold War we all knew that some missions were one way trips and we trusted our commanders and the national leadership to spend our lives well. The training was realistic and hard and mission sets were usually planned such that the objectives were achievable. And then tested.

In any case, he should be focused on doing his mission to the best of his ability all the time and knowing the jobs of those in his unit. And leading himself and his peers and putting pressure on the NCO and Officers to be better every day. Know his job, being part of a team and being trusted on that team will be the best insurance.

Now is a great time to go in. With a lot of people quitting it will be easy to get promotions and with the usual see-saw in politics, the cleanup of the ranks and good funding coming will give him lots of opportunities. Two of my Army roommates go out about this same time under Clinton and then came back as officers and rose to field grade.
Just for curiosity, some background on how/why you were shot? Unless you prefer not to and why you didn't already.

44 mag to the stomach, ricochet off of steel target, went 4.5 inches deep..like being hit with a line drive golf ball, some impact, some sting....tell him to stick his finger in the hole...

Details on this story lol

Morphine helped a lot. He wishes now that he had managed the pain without Modern painkillers as they are addictive.

I don't want to derail this thread but are you aware that it was actually modern combat medicine research that made the scientific community realize that the sooner acute pain is treated aggressively the less likely that the patient will develop chronic pain from the injury? That is why opiates even stronger than morphine are being tested for combat purposes, and is why there is now a trend to give major surgical patients analgesia, including epidural blocks, perioperatively even though the patient is unconscious with anesthesia? And that, again contrary to the narrative, less than 1% of real chronic pain patients develop addiction?
There is a huge divide between public policy and scientific reality.

44 mag to the stomach, ricochet off of steel target, went 4.5 inches deep..like being hit with a line drive golf ball, some impact, some sting....tell him to stick his finger in the hole...
Not everyone does March or Combat Casualty Care . But at least find a Stop The Bleed course . Bleeding is the number one preventable cause of death . Yer body has approx. 5 litres . Ya pumps approx. 5 litres per minute . The standard is 30 seconds or less for self care . If you lose enough blood , even if they stop blood loss and get you to care , you WILL die within 2 weeks from complications .
Sorry fer hijacking yer thread but needed sayin .