• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Never been more PO'ed in my life!!!! I need help!

Re: Never been more PO'ed in my life!!!! I need help!

Nemo,
<span style="font-weight: bold">I feel bad for your situation</span>. But my take on this is alittle different then most on here.I feel there is some responsibilty on your end as well. Leaving a rifle there for 7 months and assuming everything would be fine is somewhat naive. I am sure everyone will jump in and tell me I am wrong, that you had to go out of country, and defend all of your actions. But, could you not have driven back over when you knew you were leaving and taken care of the transfer ? As you said, it is only 30 miles away. Would have only taken 1 1/2 hours. If this rifle was valuable enough to you, you would have found a way. Again I feel bad for what has happened to you, but all investments in life don't always pan out. I don't mean to imply this was your fault, only that you do bear some of the responsibility. I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like there are great poeple on here ready and willing to help. Speaks highly of this site.

The last thing any business owner or person wants to do is deal with a buerocrocy that oversees them. Whether it be the local building department or the ATF. Let alone piss off a "good" customer. I strongly recommend speaking with the owner and calmly laying out your facts. If he is non compliant or unwilling to rectify the situation to your satisfaction then let him know you will be calling the ATF. Many times the owner never hears about this stuff because his employees won't tell him for fear of reprisal. As a contractor I have had miraculous results with bad clients by threatening to call the contractors board or the local building department. It's amazing how someones attitude changes when they realize the are responsible for their actions. Either way it's no more than a 10 minute investment. Can't wait to hear what happens.

Sorry, I should have been more specific earlier.

You will most likely not get anywhere by calling the police and the ATF.

But, you need to let the shop owner know that you will persue this. THREATEN to escalate this. But again, it has to be believable.

The last thing a shop wants (even if they are a good one) is the ATF asking questions and nosing around. The possibility of being on the cops and ATFs radar may be enough to find you some parts or reimburce you for them.

First step is to let them know you are willing to call police, feds and lawers to get this resolved.

If that does not work, the mass calls from hide members is a great idea.

when i bought my first pistol, it was a display model, they brought the case out from the stock room only to find that both of the magazines had walked off...

they gave me a discount for however much 2 magazines cost and a another few bucks off for it being a display model, but goes to prove that anything can grow legs.

Re: Never been more PO'ed in my life!!!! I need he

I'm with DTAC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get an afidavit from the sender stating what was in the box. With this in hand i would try talking to the owner and the BATFE. The value of the missing items is probably not worth the expense of a lawsuit. Allow hide members to help. Tell us what the name of the shop is. Members in your area should contact the shop and discuss the issue with them and let them know that this is not acceptable and that until this issue is resolved they and their friends will not do buisness with that shop. I'll call them as well.

FUCKING ASSHOLES! </div></div>

Just because an FFL does a transfer and the gun is shipped to them doesnt make the gun their property! DOH! If thats the case, handing the gun over to UPS to ship it does the same thing. The FFL is just another link in the chain. You are paying the FFL for a service, to be the receiver of the gun and to process your paperwork. A service for which you pay a fee.

Here, the dipshit FFL, or one of his employees, stole your bolt and your rail. It wasnt theirs to take, no more than if UPS had taken the parts while in transit.

I am sorta liking the idea of "SH call the dipshit FFL day" thing.

Give them a chance tomorrow to rectify the situation, if not, post their info here for the rest of us to do as we see fit.

John

Look up "abandoned goods" laws for your state.
Odds are you are screwed and they had every right to do this.

Now, IF you can show you contacted them a few times while away and let them know you were going to be longer and were paying for storage then you should be able to do something. If not, you just learnt a lesson.

It's not "right" but neither is you leaving the goods there for double the time you said and not contacting them. How long were they supposed to keep it? How did they know you were comming back? It would be nice if they stepped up and fixed this but your mistake might end up costing you and once you look those laws up you will find they could have sold the whole rifle.

Before "we" start talking about getting involved "we" should remember BOTH parties are at fault here and the shop has not done anything illegal.

Step back and think about it. How long were they supposed to keep it? This is not clear and simple. Step back and put some thought into it before considering getting involved.

Find a friendly attorney (they do exist) and have them draft a letter to the store stating that if they do not make right on the property that was in their care, then they will be served suit in small claims court. Around here it's $45 to file a small claims suit and IIRC that can be recovered in your damages. You generally can represent yourself so no lawyer fees needed.

The make sure you spend some time and the local shooting clubs warning other customers about this crap.

My time is worth money and the time I would spend going after idiots like this would be worth more than a new action, HOWEVER I HATE when people rip other people off. I drove across the country to speak with a shitty eBay seller on his doorstep with another pissed off Marine at 3AM. It would have been cheaper to write it off, but I just can't seem to work that way.

BTW: George, that's damn nice of you. I wish I had more money to send your way but you will definitely be getting my M40A1 build once all the parts get here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up "abandoned goods" laws for your state.
Odds are you are screwed and they had every right to do this.</div></div>

I am NOT a lawyer and I do not work in his state, but generally there must be due process before private property can be disposed of. At the least most states require that the owner be notified that the property is going to be sold or disposed of. Also we are not talking about a car or a box of clothing. We are talking about a firearm. His state may or may not have a statute spelling out how firearms are to be handled.

THAT is why I suggest at least consulting an attorney. It pays to have a few as friends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: War-Dog-Nemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, been overseas for a while on work and just back to catch up and my days were going good until....... I've been ticked off really bad in my life, but rare is it that it is with people who are not trying to do me harm. Well, here is my deal today, and I do not know where to turn now. I bought, some time ago, a FN SPR .300wsm barreled action from a great guy here on the "Hide". Everything went as planned. It arrived to the shop I had it shipped to and they never called. They knew it was coming in but just ignored my request to call me as soon as it arrived. Well, I finially called and they said, oh, is that yours? We were going to send it back because we did not know anything about it. So, in a rush to get by there and keep them from returning it, I ran in with seconds left before they close to check it out. Well, being so late they did not want to fool with the transfer then. I ask them to open the box, and everything is as it should be. Action, bbl,bolt, mag box, follower, Williams bttm metal, 20moa rail new never fired. So, I am like I will be back as soon as I can, hold on to it and I will call you when I am on my way (these guys are like 30 miles away from my side of town). Anyway, with my line of "work", I had to leave for overseas at the last minute, so I called and asked if it would be a problem for them to hold on to it until I returned, and they said "no problem at all, we understand and it won't take up much room". So, I am out of the country, doing what I do, and the time I was to be there goes from 2 to 3 to 4 to 7 months. I get back and go to pick it up. 1st they can't find it. Then, after, duh, looking in the computer, they see it is still there but they do not know where they put it, so, I'm like, that's cool, I know it has been a while and I was away so take your time and call me when you find it, "I'm sorry I had to leave it so long" and they said "we still have it, you are a great customer...blah, blah, blah". They find it and call so I run down today and pick it up. We open the box, and I'm like, WTF, where is the bolt, and WTF, where is the rail? They rumage around for like 5 minutes and then they are like are you sure it was there? WTF, I opened the box with you when it arrived. With out so much as a we will look around some more and call you, or hey, let's see what we can do here, they are like, this is it, take it or we will send it back to where it came from. Well, I do not think they could do that since the paper work that was sent with it was also gone and the shipping lable was also cut off the box. Someone, their smith most likely took the bolt and the rail, and now it is gone and they feel no obligation to replace it. Let us not forget that my name and phone number was written on the box and on the tag around the trigger gaurd alog with the serial number. Now, I have a lump of steel that I can not use, Christmas tightened the pocket book, and I can not go shoot because I dumped everything into building this one rifle. I may list it up for sale or trade for parts for another build but damn.....WTF. Was supposed to shoot this weekend and now look.....I hate ranting and I do not like to complain about other guys livings.
IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg
</div></div>

That's out right crappy! I'd be filing a police report for stolen property immediatly. They knew it wasn't theirs and scavenged parts off it, then sold them knowing they were not theirs to sell. Then I'd file a complaint with the BATFE and my State Attorney General as well.

You did make two big mistakes. 1: you didn't document the condition and have one of theirs sign off on the condition (take pictures to accompany) before you left it. 2: you didn't take the original packing slip or make a copy of it (and leave the copy with the box). <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">This makes it your word against theirs.</span></span>

Better for him to look it up and understand. In many cases you will not get accurate legal advive. If you KNOW where you stand and what can and can not be done you are less likely to have this. Let's not forget the OP is also at fault......

I wouldn't go for a new bolt. I'd make them buy an entire rifle at NIB cost or face the potential with police, BATFE, and State Attorney General reports.

My grounds would be matched and/or mated parts. You shouldn't be paying a dime.

By the way, the Better Business Bureau is ONLY a documenting source, they have absolutely no enforcement authority or power in any way, shape, or form. They can penalize BBB members, but that's little more than telling them verbally not to do it again.

POST THE NAME OF THIS SHOP! This is wrong! All the parts were there, they were either lost or stolen. Either way this shop is responsible. They were in a contract to transfer. Lets not play "Politically Correct" my God! This is pathetic. This company needs called out and restitution to be made. Principles. I also agree with Hide or Die, you need the original parts-pronto or a new rifle and let them "piece things' back together! Sorry to vent, I just can't tolerate behavior such as this!

George, outstanding for you to offer your help!

I really do love this board. I had some thing like this almost happen to me but the shop owner saw the issues starting and put a stop to it in time. pure luck.

But i have a spare rail in my parts boxs. its a little beat but if you need it ill ship it out to you.

George is the MAN if he get you a bolt you own him big. rem bolts are like acorns there every where. your bolt who knows where to buy one at.

After reading the "OP is at fault here too" replies, that is correct, I left it much longer than I thought I would have too, so some of the fault is definently with me. What was I thinking after 7 months, guess I'm lucky the bbl, and trigger was still there. No, I could not get there before I left. This was last second and I was calling them and 50,000 other people as I was boarding. I hardly got gear together in time. They did agree to hold it with no specification as to how long. I know I was longer than expected, but, as some of us know, when you are OS, time changes, for better and worse, and gets added and subtracted unexpectedly, like it or lump it. The box has written on it, my name, phone number, and the words "hold, will pick up". I would think they would be obligated to not remove pieces, or anything else being what was written on the box and per their word that they had no problem holding it, without calling first to say they could hold it no longer. Legally or not. No phone calls from them, not once while I was away. I just get the funny feeling that someone in there was building this thing up, thinking, "he got his ass shot off and is not coming back for this". Took them too long to find it, just to be "sitting on a shelf in the smith's room". After I stood there and watched them look, and look, and look some more in the same room. A.D.D. or were they just delaying so they could get the parts back togehter after I left? Also, they could not find it when I called back, until I dropped the name of the seller and the shop it was sent from then they had it in 5 minutes. When I opened the box for the first time, Everything was wrapped in plastic and taped closed. I was able to see, everything in tact and all parts were there. I made only a small trear to get "eyes on" all pieces and write down the serial number. When I picked it up, it was unwrapped completely and looked as if it had been handled alot......I'm just saying........either way, it is mine now and I have to either eat the cost of a bolt....who the hell knows where I will find a FN WSM bolt, or hope that when I go up there in a few minutes they will get off their asses and actully try to look. I think that is what pissed me off more than anything. When I asked where it was, it was as if they just did not want to even try to find it.............

When my barreled action was stolen, I filed a Police report called FedX ground security the smith who shipped it back. That was in May. Police report is still Open, FedX security will not return my calls, still waiting for shipping insurance from FedX/Smith.

Since then Ive purchased another SPR action from CDNN. Ordered and received a Bartlein barrel. Had a local smith install the barrel.

I feel you pain, That rail and screws are on their way.

Cameron

Nemo Call George at GA Precision like he said yesterday and I bet he can find you a bolt. Oh and call FN in Columbia where the SPR's are made ans see if you can get a bolt from them. I bet they have a few. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nemo,
<span style="font-weight: bold">I feel bad for your situation</span>. But my take on this is alittle different then most on here.I feel there is some responsibilty on your end as well. Leaving a rifle there for 7 months and assuming everything would be fine is somewhat naive. I am sure everyone will jump in and tell me I am wrong, that you had to go out of country, and defend all of your actions. But, could you not have driven back over when you knew you were leaving and taken care of the transfer ? As you said, it is only 30 miles away. Would have only taken 1 1/2 hours. If this rifle was valuable enough to you, you would have found a way. Again I feel bad for what has happened to you, but all investments in life don't always pan out. I don't mean to imply this was your fault, only that you do bear some of the responsibility. I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like there are great poeple on here ready and willing to help. Speaks highly of this site. </div></div>

I gotta disagree wholeheartedly. This is the type of BS thinking that let's assholes in this country do this type of stuff and get away with it. He asked if it was a problem that they hold onto the gun, they said it was okay....And he's naive because he took a man for his word? I'm sure he's a man of his word and he expects others to do the same. And not to be a dick but this poor guy is already getting beat and having a hard time and all you have to say is that its partly his fault. Kicking a man while he's down isn't cool.

Like I said before, call the BATFE like I did. There isn't a FFL in the country that wants a BATFE agent calling or coming around for something like this. The guy I was dealing with wouldn't pick up the phone, answer an email, or respond to a certified letter. One call from the BATFE agent and he called me to make arrangements for the pickup of the gun. Call them up it can't hurt your situation. BTW, from what the ATF agent told me the gun was technically still my property, just not in their(ATF) eyes. Good luck

I think the Hide should have a donation drive to help this gentleman out. If someone wants to organize it, count me in for $25.00.

OK, Here's the deal now. I talked with a new person (new as in not the same guy I was dealing with) and he took all of the information down and was going to have a sit down with the owner (who was meeting with sales reps at the time of my call) and get this fixed. I basically told him the deal and all I wanted at this point was an honest effort to try and find the missing parts or make it right. He told me he wanted very much to get this resolved and he would personally start on it. Let's see where this goes between now and Monday afternoon. They are on a short schedule today and closed tomorrow so that gives them 2 1/2 days to "look" for the "missing" parts. I told them I have photos of the parts before they were shipped to them and also the names and numbers of the FFL that shipped it and the person from whom I purchased the rifle. Let's see where that goes first.
Makes me wish I had not gotten rid of the Remmingtons and switched over to FN, great rifles but I bet I could stand on a corner with a "will work for a Remmy bolt" sign and have a baker's dozen by the end of the day!

PM sent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the Hide should have a donation drive to help this gentleman out. If someone wants to organize it, count me in for $25.00. </div></div>

Thanks Bluejazz, but let's see what happens here first. I'm still looking for a McM or HSP inlet for this thing anyway. That might be tougher than the bolt in the end......That was going to be the next thing I posted in the WTB section, but I am going to wait until I can get the bolt deal worked out. Heck, I might just sell it and switch back to Remmy if this get's too complicated.....but all in all....after this I am done with that shop....got word there has been a little bit of other shady things happening around there too.

i certainly hope you get restitution and get this cleared up asap, this business practice makes me furious and sick to say the least, not to mention all the bs you are going through and having to deal with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: War-Dog-Nemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got word there has been a little bit of other shady things happening around there too. </div></div>

All the more reason that the threat of a ATF call might "motivate" them to resolve this. Hopefully they will get you taken care of and you will not have to escalate this. If not, my offer still stands. Let me know if I can help.

From McMillans site:

#2200 ADJ TMP (this stock has an HTG butt and comparable A3 forend) PAINTED BLACK, SNIPER FILL, RH FN PBR, FAC F/P, FAC PBR B/C, SPACER SYSTEM, INTEGRAL C/P, 3 STUDS. $675.00 11/19/2009 2 in stock

Sounds kind of like an A1-A3, Not sure what B/C you need.

that sucks... 1st i would raise some hell! 2nd you should get me a job doing whatever it is you do

Its gone on long enough to where you need to post this places info.... If you were a shop owner getting 40 calls a day for a week straight about "how could you steal another mans parts, and then pass it off that it was his fault for doing business with you?" will get pretty damn tiring and they will loathe the day you posted how much they suck at customer service and life in general.

There are three things you don't mess with, a mans Family, Money, or Rifle, and these guys are messing with 2 out of 3. Don't let them get away with it!Please keep us updated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are three things you don't mess with, a mans Family, Money, or Rifle, and these guys are messing with 2 out of 3. Don't let them get away with it!Please keep us updated </div></div>

Person could make the argument they are messing with all 3, rifles are ways to protect the family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: War-Dog-Nemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, Here's the deal now. I talked with a new person (new as in not the same guy I was dealing with) and he took all of the information down and was going to have a sit down with the owner (who was meeting with sales reps at the time of my call) and get this fixed. I basically told him the deal and all I wanted at this point was an honest effort to try and find the missing parts or make it right. He told me he wanted very much to get this resolved and he would personally start on it. Let's see where this goes between now and Monday afternoon. They are on a short schedule today and closed tomorrow so that gives them 2 1/2 days to "look" for the "missing" parts. I told them I have photos of the parts before they were shipped to them and also the names and numbers of the FFL that shipped it and the person from whom I purchased the rifle. Let's see where that goes first.
Makes me wish I had not gotten rid of the Remmingtons and switched over to FN, great rifles but I bet I could stand on a corner with a "will work for a Remmy bolt" sign and have a baker's dozen by the end of the day! </div></div>

All I can say is man you have paitents. I would have gone off the handle by now.

Wait and give them time to look for the parts. If not, then off to youtube you go. You will be amazed at what a video camera and a song about what they did will do.

Hey WarDog, forget about the posters that stated you did something wrong and all the "abandoned property laws" bs (dont ya just love the "jr lawyers"?! btw, that means no law degree folks that watch too much LA Law or whatever the current legal eagle show is out and on tv at the time)...you did nothing wrong. They agreed to keep it while you were gone and they didnt specify a timeframe, and even if they did, they still cant just take your shit, or part of it, anyhow.

So, if you dont get it squared away, ie, they give you your bolt and rail, or replacements, its time to take the next step. Oh, and I wouldnt suggest getting your legal advice from the forum...yeah, its a great place to vent, but lawyers most of the folks here aint. And for legal advice, thats what you need.

Now, if you need a few folks to go kick in a few doors, rough up a few folks, yeah, youre probably in the right place.

Good luck to ya man, as you should get your stuff back...takin a man's rifle parts is just sick...very sick.

John

Most any state also have laws that govern abandoned property. Before anyone can legally dispose of "abandoned property" they have to make attempts to contact the legal and rightful owner. Usually receipts for certified mail and a copy of the letter that was enclosed would work.

If you had a conversation with an employee who stated that they would hold it for you then in most states you entered into a verbal contract (not nearly as strong as written but still a contract none the less.)

In most civil litigations state law allows you to recover any filing fees and "reasonable" attorney fees.

If they don't make things right go through with the suit. If nothing else it might save someone else the heartache in the future.

It sounds like they might actually attempt to make it right. hope everything works out for you.

"Hey WarDog, forget about the posters that stated you did something wrong and all the "abandoned property laws" bs (dont ya just love the "jr lawyers..)

I was bought up to accept, correct and deal with issues, not to pretend I don't make mistakes and not to blame others when I have a hand in causing myself problems. Not to be delusional, to explain away what part I took in causing a problem. To be fair and act in a just manner. You should not be attacking those of us who have a reasonable and decent outlook on life AND who offered advice on how to resolve the issue in a fair manner. OTOH, maybe I am expecting too much, that most of us on here are decent adults and not read to put crap on others without taking some for ourself....

I offered good advice, for him to read up where he stands and go from that point. Others also offered similar advice. This IS what he NEEDS to do. I suggest reading what has been posted a few times before going on the attack so you can be sure you understand what was said. It's never good to attack someone simply because you didn't grasp what was said.

The OP made a big mistake and needs to accept his part in it, then do what he can to resolve the issue in a fair manner. Not pretend he is not at fault (as is the retailer) and excuse what he did wrong so full blame can be placed on the retailer.

Aujohn, I dont disagree with owning up to your mistakes, one should, but having reread his original post, I still dont see where he screwed up. He had them receive the rifle, tried to do the transfer but they were in a hurry to close, he then got sent out, called to let them know, didnt specify a time, they agreed to keep the rifle, he showed up later to get it to find someone STOLE parts off it. Pretty straight forward to me.

The problem with the advice is that if one aint a gunsmith, one doesnt try to get on the forum and tell others how to headspace a rifle, etc., or how to load 10 extra grains of powder into a 308 case, etc.

Either way, the OP should get his stuff back, its just that simple. If they want to charge extra for "storage" fine, have at it, but stealing his shit, naw, thats not cool.

John

[/quote]The OP made a big mistake and needs to accept his part in it, then do what he can to resolve the issue in a fair manner. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Not pretend he is not at fault (as is the retailer) and excuse what he did wrong so full blame can be placed on the retailer.</span></span></span>
[/quote]

At what point did I not say I was somewhat at fault for having to leave it longer than I intended? Never "PRETENDED" I had no fault here. Only thing I am saying is I did the best I could to make a verbal agreement via phone that it was ok for it to remain there until I returned. They wrote on the box, "customer will pick up upon return", said it would be fine and dated it the day I called and the person taking the call put his name there. I have to ask, at this point, especially with the "could you not have run over and picked it up before you left" comment, what I do means I get called, there is <span style="font-weight: bold">no</span> other thing that takes place other than getting your a$$ in gear and going. It's what I do and that's the way it is. When I went to pick it up, I knew full well that they could have even sent it back where it came from or even sold it to someone else, but, being that it was still there and the parts were missing along with the FFL transfer info and shipping lable (and no other FN's or even Winchester wsm's have been through the shop at all even for repair according to their records) I would think the parts are there somewhere or on someone who works there's rifle.....All this is, is just a Rant! I know full well that I will most likely be buying a new bolt, provided I can find one, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I just feel they should make an honest effort to locate it, not throw up their hands and refuse to do nothing, as is what pretty much happend when I went to pick it up after they found it. I would perfer not to throw 9 hundered Franklin's out the window! </span></span></span>

Graham's rule #1: One should not take legal advice from laypeople.

Follow it if you want to; ignore it if you want to. It's just a made-up rule anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham's rule #1: One should not take legal advice from laypeople.

Follow it if you want to; ignore it if you want to. It's just a made-up rule anyway. </div></div>

Graham would usually charge big $ for this great advise. Take it. I have some good buddies who are trained in first aid, but I go to my doctor for medical issues, not them. Same thing here. You clearly have a legal issue and a pro will guide you through it in an appropriate manner.

Best wishes!

That sucks, bastards used your shit for a parts gun. Hope you get it made right.

Just curious what line of work you're in where a spur of the moment overseas trip is 5-7 months?? My imagination is running wild!! Details

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sucks, bastards used your shit for a parts gun. Hope you get it made right.

Just curious what line of work you're in where a spur of the moment overseas trip is 5-7 months?? My imagination is running wild!! Details </div></div>

Contract.

Wardog,
The way your very first post read, I am impressed at how level headed and reasonable you have been in trying to work this out with the business owner.
In my opinion it does no good to go ranting off about calling the authorities ,like some have suggested, this early in the process. Document your efforts and conversations with them for now.
Also, a lawsuit would cost you more than the value of the mechandise in time and money.
I am sure this business owner feels badly about what happened, and will try and help you out. However, it is possible that a former employee stole some of your property. If that is the case, they will not be able to find your parts.At which time, you will need to see what they are willing to do for you, and go from there.
Good luck.

I'm trying! Just want to get my rifle together. Only one I have at present.........
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, they stole your shit, its that simple. Treat it as such. Start with the PD/BATF, thats cheap. BBB wont do squat. If those fail, you can file in small claims (or whatever the SC equivalent is). You could also try to find a Pro-RKBA atty in your area and ask him to make a call or letter, but expect to pay a couple bucks or if they are really nice and do it pro bono, drop them off some ammo or something cool.

But, no matter what, someone owes you some frickin parts!

John
</div></div>

+1

Did several listings with the BBB and all they do is take the side of the business and make you feel like a liar and asshole.

File a theft report and a BATFE report. Regardless of how great they treated you in the past they stole your bolt and rail while in possession of a federally controlled item.

i am really sorry for your situation and i know you made a hasty decision but why in the hell would you accept it in that condition? i dont believe the courts will offer a solution now as you accepted it as it was. had you refused to receive it w/o all of the parts, a civil law suit would have been pretty easy to win i think.

chuck

The circumstances surrounding this matter are, put simply, what they are. No single aspect will ultimately be the defining matter. I don't think War Dog made any mistakes. He assumed that a business would act honestly and responsibly.

WD's rifle was in their possession under a contract between the two parties. They agreed to hold his item safe until delivered, it was in their trust, so they have liability.

Here's what you can do. Go into the shop and have a friendly chat with them. Take a casual look at their business license, and try to get the names of the people working there in a casual manner. Ask them to look for your parts and take note of what they say. Take some notes of names and addresses.

Stop back in in a couple of days, if they don't come up with your parts, ask them for the name of their liability insurance provider so that you can file a claim with them. If they refuse to give it to you, walk over to the city business license department and ask them to talk to the owner on your behalf.

At this point you can send them a demand letter stating that on advice from your attorney, you have no choice but to file a law suit for the replacement value of the items. You can get that info from FN...maybe $500-$600. Go to the local PD and file a police report. Get a copy of the report. File a report with BATF if they have some manner that can be done.

If there is no response in a day or so, or if you choose not to send a demand letter, just file a small claims case. It is a simple form and only cost $20 or so. Attach the stolen property report to the case files. Name the owner, the business, his wife, children - if they work there, manager, and anyone working there whose name you have, and add the statement, "Does 1-10". That covers any unknown parties. Have a buddy serve everyone at the shop at the same time, or at their home.

Being sued and being served with a lawsuit is not taken lightly, even a small claims matter. Until they are handed the court papers, it's just talk, but holding the papers in one's hand is a pretty good wake up call.

For one, everyone you sue has to show up at the trial and tell the judge why they were so irresponsible with your property that was in their care. They can argue whatever they want to, but if they do not show up, they lose, and you win by default. It's a lien on all their property, and you can enforce that judgement on their bank account if you choose to. You can sue the husband and wife separately. If the husband shows up and the wife doesn't, the wife loses her case automatically, even if the husband wins.

Argue your case before the judge that you made arrangements with them, and they agreed to hold your items until you returned, and that they knew that you were on assignment out of the country.

I think if things go that far, all things considered, the odds are in your favor that you will be getting your items back or a $600 check.

Even if you replace the parts, they should still be held accountable, in my opinion.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, contact the seller and have him confirm that the action was indeed sent with the bolt and rail. Ask him to contact the criminals at the store and let them know. </div></div>

From what I've read here you only messed up in one way. When you were in the same room with the barreled action you should have just refused to leave until they did the transfer. It would have taken a police officer how long to get there plus how long to listen to both sides versus how long to do the transfer?

I think, as was said before, that your parts were stolen by a former employee in which case you will probably never see them again. Sorry.

Not a single answer to one phone call from these bastards, not a single reply to an email. This sucks big time. BATFE won't touch it because it is not the receiver, civil cost more than sending it back to FN (which is what I have to do, they won't just sell me a bolt) and no one has been able to help yet........
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Do them rascals know you were gone doin' their dirty work ?

Sucks is right.

Dammit, I'd give you mine if I had one.