• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Never fired a Mortar

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
I don't know how to share a video clip from FB to Snipers hide. But on my face book page I have a video clip of a bad guy loading a motor round into its mortar tube and running away and then the whole thing blew up probably killing the bad guy. My question is What went wrong ?

I don't know how to share a video clip from FB to Snipers hide. But on my face book page I have a video clip of a bad guy loading a motor round into its mortar tube and running away and then the whole thing blew up probably killing the bad guy. My question is What went wrong ?

Mortars are propelled by a set of charges that ignite when the round strikes the firing pin at the base of the tube.

There could be numerous reasons that the round blew in the tube.

Faulty fuse on the round: Old corroded rounds that haven't been handled correctly, which led to the round thinking it was impacting the ground as it struck the bottom. Those old rounds don't have the safety fuses that our rounds do.

Tube is old and couldn't take the controlled explosion from the propellant. This is probably the reason that one went. With that explosion from the breach of the tube, the old ass round probably went also.

Old ass round could have had a breach in it, and as the propellant went off, it set off the round.

Also they might not have understood what the proper charge would have been for that round, and over loaded in hopes for more range, not knowing what the tube could handle, equaling a catastrophic failure.

There could have been something we didn't see fall in behind the round, creating an obstruction and a failure.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head, hope it helps answer your question.

Yugo 82mm rounds had air current activated safety device (ball moved under striker stem to fill the gap and transfer kinetic energy to primer) and shell was thick enough to handle the pressure from propelling charge. Most likely it was spiced propelling charge detonating the round in tube.

Yugo 82mm rounds had air current activated safety device (ball moved under striker stem to fill the gap and transfer kinetic energy to primer) and shell was thick enough to handle the pressure from propelling charge. Most likely it was spiced propelling charge detonating the round in tube.

I haven't seen any video with any 82's blowing, they have all been 60mm or 50mm.

Of course a normal round will withstand a propellant charge, otherwise they would blow eve time you use one. A tube failure has enough to set a round off and rounds have cooked off in the tube. If you think that isn't possible, you better go read the AAR on the 7 dead Marines and their 120. A rusted, possibly cracked round that has been sitting in the dirt for 20 years could easily go off. I highly doubt they are conducting any inspections of their rounds before dropping them.

I only know about 82mm and general issues with mortars as i've served on them but other than that anything is of course possible if using old and technically questionable equipment.

Didn't know about cook off when using a standard/max allowed rate of fire i thought that's why they limit number of rounds/min/used charge to prevent such mishaps but i just saw a live leak video where 120mm mortar charge ignited after just a few rounds as round was inserted, loader luckily managed to pull it out in time :) and throw it away...

I only know about 82mm and general issues with mortars as i've served on them but other than that anything is of course possible if using old and technically questionable equipment.

Didn't know about cook off when using a standard/max allowed rate of fire i thought that's why they limit number of rounds/min/used charge to prevent such mishaps but i just saw a live leak video where 120mm mortar charge ignited after just a few rounds as round was inserted, loader luckily managed to pull it out in time :) and throw it away...

I found the video I think he is talking about, and it is an 82. No clue what caused the malfunction but I'm guessing Hadji doesn't stick to max/sustained rates of fire.

The video of that 120 setting the charges off was some jacked up shit. The round got caught on his sleeve creating a hangfire, he reached in the tube to pull it out, then let the charges sit up against the hot ass tube, setting them off. So many bad habits, they are lucky the round wasn't below the obturator ring when those charges went, or his arm would be gone if not blowing the tube. I spent about two years on all three of our systems when I was a younger. Showed up to my unit and they were short mortar guys, so I became one for a while. Although it was cool to learn something new, it wasn't my forte. It did give me a greater understanding of call for fire, which was priceless when calling shit in on later deployments. That is one of the reasons I have all my guys cross train with the mortars now. Nothing has gotten me out of more shitty situations than a radio, CAS, and mortars.

Cheers

I haven't seen the video in question but were they using a legit mortar tube or one of the homemade weapon systems that are prevalent in Syria?

There are many things that can go wrong with a mortar system and when I do mortar training with my team it is probably the most in-depth safety brief I give at a range.

I don't worry much about tubes exploding since we are using U.S. military tubes, but misfires and short-rounds are very dangerous and quite likely. Especially with the old 81mm mortar ammo we sometimes get.

If it was the same video I saw, it was a legit 82 complete with correct bipod minus sight, the round actually look decent too.

You don't like peeling wax on tootsie's or gulfwar sand on the brown box specials?

I can assure you, that the good guys are to this day, still helping the shit fingers find their way to Allah though alternate methods that will remain undisclosed on a public forum.

Thats good to know since irregular forces don't have secure and consistent access to ammo.A doctored RPG or mortar round is as good or better than a hellfire.

I believe the gif your looking for is now on Maggies, post #16502. If its not the same one its worth a look for the chuckle.

Read the link to "eldest son" with interest. I had first hand knowledge of the project but never heard any of the listed names. The affected round list was surely abbreviated. There was no mention of 37mm,23mm, nor the 122mm rockets. A very worthwhile and effective undertaking. IMNHO