• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Never Satified-itis

Big Phil

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2012
I has it.

I've been shooting for awhile, but last year picked up a 700 Tactical and wasn't satisfied with the accuracy, so I got my Dad to set me up with some reloads. Now it shoots pretty good. I'd say 1/2 MOA, sometimes better. I have a Manners T4A with the mini chassis that should be ready around the end of March begging of April.

I'm always looking at barrels, thinking about a different action, different bolt, basically anything I can to get my groups smaller. I know I need better glass but for how I'm shooting now I can't justify it.

I know the determining factor is me not the gun but my questions are:
What can I expect to change in the way of a new stock? I assume the consistency of the chassis will aid in accuracy.

Also in your experience what makes the greatest difference in accuracy? For me, thus far, ammo has made a world of difference.

Anyway thanks for the help. I've been reading a lot so I appreciate any help.

Re: Never Satified-itis

im no expert, but i would say ammo, then trigger, then glass, then barrel (since you already have a chassis inbound)

The 700P stock has a 'chassis' as it is, full aluminum bedding block.

All you're changing is the way it fits/looks, expect no improvement in accuracy. Half MOA is respectable from a factory barrel. $1000 later you can have a custom barrel and a trued action and knock another .2 MOA off that .5 but thats about the limit of what to expect without going over the deep end...

Just scrap the 700 and get a TRG or AIAE/AW/AX. I did the same thing as you with numerous builds and wasn't happy til I got the TRG, then I sold it and bought the AIAE. I won't be selling this one anytime soon... But if you are hellbent on the 700, get a new barrel from Benchmark, and then upgrade your glass...

I have a Timney trigger but my stock is a Hogue that's pillar bedded I expect the Manners to be more consistent and more ergonomic and hoping that will add up to increased accuracy. I'm content with a 700 for now, so I won't likely sell it, but I appreciate the advice. My next bolt gun will either be a custom action but I'll look into TRG.

Shooting is much more than tight groups. As far a the bolt gun goes in my neck of the woods the only shot that matters is the cold bore shot but I'm not going to train for just that. I will likely never hunt anywhere but Texas so high angle or any distance past 400 is not likely for me.

We don't have much in the way of competition without traveling a few hours, so I entered the latest Smack the Smilie match.

That being said I like nice tight groups, so that's what I'm going for. For now.

I kind of wondered about that myself. Never saw a 700P in a Hogue stock.

700 "Tactical" my bad, but I do appreciate the advice.

Above-mentioned, plus chamber specs are important. As well as trued bolt face, crown and barrel harmonics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sportin' wood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just scrap the 700 and get a TRG or AIAE/AW/AX. I did the same thing as you with numerous builds and wasn't happy til I got the TRG, then I sold it and bought the AIAE. I won't be selling this one anytime soon... But if you are hellbent on the 700, get a new barrel from Benchmark, and then upgrade your glass... </div></div>

If you really want to work the 700 then pick a smith and have everything done, not just a new barrel etc. Other wise, lay the 700 to the side for now. Spend the money into a custom, or high end factory.

Did your dad just slap a sierra match king on top of some powder he had laying around, or did you do any load development? I did this when i got my new savage 308. It would shoot .6" groups all day long. I was satisfied with that for a while since it was a factory barrel and i didn t figure it would do much better. One day recently i got a wild hair to actually do some load testing, mainly b/c all i could find locally was lapua brass and knew that would change my recipe. I found a load that will shoot .2 all day long and shoots 110 fps faster than my original load I just threw together to go shoot. Try different bullets, powder, charge weights, primers and seating depths. This is probably gonna be your most effective way to shave tenths off your group size. After that go shoot. After that, shoot some more. Save some money when you can until you can afford some better glass. Then go shoot some more. Shoot until your barrel is toast. You get the idea?

My father has been reloading for about the last 40 years, so no he didn't slap a bullet on on a random case with some random pistol powder.
I bought varget powder and nosler brass and we worked with Nosler and Hornady bullets to find a round a round that grouped best and then went a tenth of a grain up and down to refine it. Then we started weighing brass to try and find if that made any difference.

I have a rem tactical that shot 1/2" easy. I've got around 7500 rounds down the tube and it is now a 1" - 1 1/4" gun.

It's funny but the best group ever was with the factory stock 3/8" at 200 yards. (Could not do that again)

I changed to a B&C A5 stock and it shot the same....but is better prone than the factory stock.

As to the stock...not a bad choice but it's not going to make your groups shrink much if you're getting 1/2moa or better...consider that as good as it gets with a factory gun. 1/2moa, sometimes better as you say, is good even for a custom gun.

All this stuff you want to do to get smaller groups...quit. Spend your time thinking about what you need to do to fix "you". Too many people get caught up in the "I need this upgrade or that upgrade" to have an accurate gun and forget to upgrade themselves.

As to the reloads...did your dad just give you loads or did he do a ladder test?

Big Phil
Looks like you are not doing bad at all. Some of the advises on prior post from other members are valuable and correct. I also think that your Dad, after 40 years of reloading, must have learned a thing or two; nothing better than when knowledge get transmitted from Father to Son, very cool.
Btw, a bunch of guys with "custom rifles" can't even shoot 1/2 MOA and it is not because of the rifles, so keep on smiling, buy a beer to your Dad and enjoy life and shooting.
You are on the right path.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Timney trigger but my stock is a Hogue that's pillar bedded I expect the Manners to be more consistent and more ergonomic and hoping that will add up to increased accuracy.</div></div>

A new stock will help make consistency a hell of a lot easier, but if you try some groups from benchrest and are careful not to push down or torque the forend of the stock at all you can put up awesome groups with the crappy hogue stock; just to see the accuracy potential of the gun.

I'm still developing my load, but I put up a couple 1/3MOA groups in the hogue stock this weekend with the median group being about .55 (sps tactical 223 wylde 69gr SMKs).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All this stuff you want to do to get smaller groups...quit. Spend your time thinking about what you need to do to fix "you". Too many people get caught up in the "I need this upgrade or that upgrade" to have an accurate gun and forget to upgrade themselves.

As to the reloads...did your dad just give you loads or did he do a ladder test?
</div></div>

Good advice. Thanks. We used Dan Newberry's Optimum Charge Weight to refine a load.

Finbox I've shot really good groups that I'll likely never shoot again

3 shots at 200
rangetargets-5.jpg

I guess I'll just keep working on me, do a lot of dry firing and keep shooting.