• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 1,000 yd. Range in New Hampshire

Taildrag15X

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Morrisonville, New York
New 1,000 yd. Range in New Hampshire
As I'm on the hodge-podge email list I'm passing this on to all fellow Long Range Competitiors.

There are rumors going around that the Pemi Fish and Game Club, in Holderness, NH, is planning to build a 1,000-yard range. The rumors are true.

I have two reasons for sending this e-mail to shooters in New England. One is to let you know the real story about our efforts to build this new range (rumors have a way of distorting reality), and the other is to get a sense of your interest in it. At the end of this e-mail is a request to you to answer some questions.

First a little background. The Pemi (officially known as the Pemigewasset Valley Fish and Game Club, Inc.) is a private club in central New Hampshire. It owns 330 acres, and has several rifle ranges, a trap field, an indoor range, a great archery range, and a nice club house. It runs rifle matches, cowboy and IDPA shoots, silhouette matches, summer and winter biathlons, archery events, trap shoots. We host boy scout camping. We do some hunter education, some pistol and rifle instruction, and are affiliated with the CMP. For a sleepy looking club in a sleepy part of the state, a lot goes on.

The rifle range is currently 200 yards, and over the years there has been much talk about expanding it to 300 or 600 yards. The topography makes that tough where the existing range is, though, and we’ve never gotten much past the talk stage. Over the years, too, a few people have even thought about a 1,000-yard range. That never got past the talk stage either … until about 2 years ago when one club member was inspired enough to dig up some topo maps, find a possible spot, and drag a bunch of other club members out there to scout it out. And he was right: it looked like it might actually work.

So *this* time more than talk has happened. A little over a year ago we had the space clear cut. This spring and summer we did the wetlands delineation and then had a detailed survey done. Then we solicited and received bids do to the engineering/design work that will be needed to get the various environmental permits and to solicit bids for actual range construction. And finally, I’m going to ask the club’s board to make a choice on the bids at our board meeting in early December (and to allocate money for that design work).

That’s where we are. Of course, the big expensive step is construction, and is perhaps beyond the ability of the Pemi by itself. We expect to need to raise funds from outside. To that end, we really need to know how much interest there really is out there. So, what we’re doing is polling you, NE shooters, about various aspects of the project. Call it “market research”.

If you would take some time and answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Send an e-mail to me at [email protected]. It would help if you would put something like “Pemi 1,000-yard range” in the Subject line.

1. The Pemi’s about 2 hours north of Boston, about 2 hours up I-93. If we ran a long-range match once a month (during the warm months!), would you make many of the matches? Would you come to 2 a month?
2. Would you prefer 1-day matches or 2-day matches?
3. We’re looking into electronic targets. As expensive as they are, that would save us the expense of building target carriers and putting in pits. Also, it would eliminate pit changes and the need to pull targets (or pay for target pullers). It would also eliminate the need to move back to each new distance (600, 800, 900, 1,000). There MAY be some loss of accuracy, and there may be some technical glitches from time to time. In your mind, would this be a good trade off? Would you be willing to pay a little more per match to avoid having to pull targets?
4. Would you be willing to make a contribution (not now, but when we get the permits) to the range’s construction costs whether as an outright gift or in the form of pre-paid membership fees or pre-paid match fees? What would be fair in your mind?
5. Do you know any die-hard shooters who just won the lottery? No? yeah, me neither. Do you have ideas about companies that might be worth approaching for donations?

I’d be eager to hear any other thoughts you have on this project. Thanks for your time.

Oh, one last request: please spread the word. This note is going to a hodge-podge of e-mail lists, but I’m certain not to all the long-range shooters in New England. Thanks.

Randy Enger, president, Pemi Fish and Game

Re: New 1,000 yd. Range in New Hampshire

Good to hear. Do you have the email address we can write to about the range? I would definitely try to make it up for as many matches as I could. It's about a 4 hour drive for me from CT but it's not bad. I was up there a while back and like the club.

I don't know if electronic targets would be worth it. Seems like anything electronic always takes a dump right when you need it. Also having pits allows you to do other things in the tactical side like movers or pop up drills and such. Would allow you to run different matches than just straight highpower/F Class etc.

On that note they might want to be able to have spots for steel targets to be set up also as alot of shooters like shooting steel. Not that they would have to buy it all but allow people to be able to put up their own.

Depending on the cost I might be able to prepay a membership. Keep us updated.

Thats about a 2 hour drive for me. I'd definitely be willing to buy a membership and swing down several times a month to shoot. My brother in law would as well. I'm not sure about matches but I would love to attend a class or ten if they were offered.

Being a member of the FCSA I would LOVE to see this range capable of supporting a 50 BMG match. One thing that they tend to lean towards was having a pit with target pullers. Half the squad pulls targets when the other half is shooting, but I don't know how other long distance matches are handled as far as targets go. I'm also curious as to how wide this proposed range is, how many firing points?

-See if you can get some club members to volunteer to help with construction, etc.
-Trade memberships for engineering/construction, etc.
-Put in butts for paper matches, but also movers, popups etc.
-make a steel plinking range and have steel targets every 100 yards/meters from 200 out to 1000y/m or more
-don't limit yourself to 1000yards, how much farther can you go?
-see if local police/sheriffs would kick in cash for the ability to use the range certain weekdays per month.
-build it and they will come.

How far is this range from Laconia? Bike Week Bebe.....
wink.gif

Electronic targets are a MUST for Highpower/Long Range/F Class to conduct a match quickly and efficiently. Pit changes and pit duty are enormous time wasters as well as giving slow and error prone target service.

Since those are the predominant type of competition in that part of the country, the feedback the Pemi has been getting is overwhelmingly in favor of electronic targets.

Electronic bullseye targets are the predominant scoring system for both centerifre and smallbore rifle shooting in Europe in both indoor ranges and outdoor ranges with both exposed and covered/sheltered firing lines. The systems are also in use at most European military ranges.

Electronic target systems are robust, proven technology and there is no rational reason to not have them if you can afford them.

I'm moving back to southern Maine in about a year from now, and was resigned to checking out the 600yd range in Scarborough as the longest shot around home. If there was a 1000yd range in NH, i'd definitely show up for 800-1000 yard F-Class matches once a month. And i'd pay a reasonable annual fee to be a member. And i'd try to convince a friend or two to join. Man, i hope this range happens...

My buddy lives an exit south of there...I know he would be going, and I would come up for as many comps as could. I have no experience with any targets other than paper, so I won't give an opinion.

Any pictures? I would be driving from the Portland Maine area. I have been looking for such a place My present range only goes out to 600 yards and would reallylike to try a 1000 yards

Please email me a number where I can reach you at?

It would be great to have a 1000yd range in New England, I would certainly go up as much as I could for either practice or comps.

forward to some possible comps in the future there

Did this ever come to fruition? I searched on the net and didn't see anything.

Did this ever come to fruition? I searched on the net and didn't see anything.
No, it did not. They couldn't make it happen. Forbes range in Albany NY is only 1000 yard range that I know of in the new england / ne area. No steel @ forbes, only paper. They shoot 600 and 1000 several times a week.

Too bad this didnt happen. Ive met Randy Enger and he is committed to promoting riflery/marksmanship so Im sure he wanted it to happen.

For those that want it 600 is a possibility at the Devens Rifle and Pistol Club, Devens, MA.

Its kind of sketchy this season as the 600 is being rebuilt. The butts are dissapearing and electronic targets are going in. The club shoots second Tuesday of the month. They have been scheduling alternate ranges such as the .22 only Army pop up target course and the machine gun range that has targets out to 800. Their shooting schedule is always at the whim of the Army/agencies that want to train. That said its cheap money to join and you get your moneys worth your first day shooting.

The club is run by some dedicated retired military and the shooting is relaxed yet with an expectation you know how to act on an active military base and you are not going to mall ninja and show up in your ghillie proclaiming how you want to learn to stalk. Such is a worthy endeavor but there are a lot of eyes on the civilian shooters and it would not do the club any favor if someone was an object of concern.

PM your email and Ill go back in my archives to send club info to those that are interested.