• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New 10/22 Stock from Boyd's

Re: New 10/22 Stock from Boyd's

happy with mine. you will have to fine tune the stock to make it perfect for your action. much thanks to Boyds!

Fit and finish on mine is exactly as I had hoped. The barrel is supported as said above. I also will shoot it before seeing about bedding and free floating the barrel. I have a 16" GM fluted barrel and I like the shorty look. Aesthetically the only thing that would bother me is if the Harris legs extend past the muzzle when folded. I'll just move the studs back if that's the case.

Another thanks to Boyds for a great stock. If they make more I will definitely be in for another.

Well seeing as no O.D Green ones have been shown, I put mine together quick to show it off. All Kid parts, the fit and finish are great on mine.
Scope should be here at the end of week and I'm looking forward to sighting it in.

nzoq6g.jpg

2u8b8t1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have trouble with an aftermarket action screw? </div></div>

I did, mine was too long. My grinder is gonna handle that tonight.

I didn't grind mine, I just threaded it through a neoprene faucet seat washer before putting it back into the stock. Tightened up, works fine.

Greg

I tried using a Volquartsen and it's too short to grab the threads of the receiver. What screw are you guys using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried using a Volquartsen and it's too short to grab the threads of the receiver. What screw are you guys using? </div></div>

Factory sloted screw worked fine on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it just me or does the bottom inlet on these pretty crappy ?</div></div>

My action inlet is pretty good, and the barrel is actually pretty straight.

My bottom inlet is kinda rough too. It doesn't look nearly as well finished, and it's offcentered just a tad. Shouldn't be too much work to clean it up though.

Tried mine today with a 20" non-fluted GreenMountain barrel. There is a little side to side slop where the barreled action can rotate around the factory screw. I may bed the barrel,action,or both. It shows potential.

see if after using the factory screw the action is drawn down enough to use the volquartsen screw. are the Volq screws that much shorter?

bad shot, try a few layers of scotch tape in the barrel channel. with the action screw and the tape, you should be good. quick fix, but it will lock everything in place

Was black, now GAP. Just took the tape off, still needs the pad cleaned up. Need to find something in a cleat matt to smooth out the finish and offer some protection. Anyone have anyh ideas on a matt clear that will stand up to cleaning slovents?

tribphoto.jpg

call a couple of cabinet shops and ask about conversion varnish. they would prabably shoot your stock for a song! very nice camo job.~~~~~~bog

Your welcome! just a tough as nails finish. i just did a little experiment. #9 solvent looks like it turned my matt finish to gloss on the inside of pannel shot with conversion varnish. i may have been to fast on the trigger on that. please forgive!

Am I tacticool now?
grin.gif

Thanks for the head's up on these stocks <span style="font-weight: bold">CamW</span>. It is the best $80 I've spent on my 10/22 in a long time.

Picture004-4.jpg

Picture001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have any information if/when they'll be selling the TR stock for the MKII . . . I keep hearing a couple of months . . . a couple of months. </div></div>
Really!? That would be great for my .17!

I need to work it some to free float it and fix some inlet issues but it fits me well and well worth the 90 bucks shipped it cost me .

HPIM0987.JPG

Here's some shots of mine. I'm still thinking about doing a different paint color, the O.D green to me seems like it could be darker. We'll see how motivated I am . BTW my barrel is free floating with all Kidd parts.

19phew.jpg

xqg75s.jpg

25ztqb5.jpg

2m43jo1.jpg

I finally put my stock and action together,I put 3 layers of gaffers tape (thick cloth tape) about 2" long in the barrel channel in front of the v block and screwed the action down .This helped keep the barrel from rocking too much, kind of a poor man's bedding.The rifle in the new stock shot the same as it did in my old stock, a laminated Fajen,little groups at 50 yards and right around 1" at 100 yards with Wolf Match ammo.It worked well enough that I came in 1st place at our monthly Precision/Tactical rimfire match.

Here are some photos of the Tacticool stock next to a McMillan A5.Same basic shape, I wish the butt hook was deeper and more of a hook.I also wish the comb was higher.

a5tacticool1.jpg

a5tacticool4.jpg

a5tacticool2.jpg

a5tacticool3.jpg

I went on the Boyd's site to order another Tacticool stock, they're all sold out. They said in a email that this batch was a test run and they would be making another run in the future,but didn't give a time frame when.If you want one of these stocks,send Boyd's a email and bug them about making more.

Lovely rifles, many thanks for the pics! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~bog

Congrats CamW nice shooting ! Great comparison pics too.

nice shooting there Tex (cam) i cant wait to get my new whistle pig barrel and get mine finished.

hey guys, lets talk about floating. in reading this thread, some will end up floated and others not. i know the reason for floating, but with the laminated stocks stability, do we really need to worry about that?

and to those of you that are floating already, is your action secure in the stock? mine will move if the barrel channel isnt supporting it. i called boyd's and they design the stock to not be floated and for the stock to support the barrel. i did what Cam did. after opening the barrel channel, my action moved so i used clear scotch tape at the end of the forearm of stock to add back what i removed to get it floating.

with a stable laminate, do we really need it floated? its just personal preference i guess. im not sure i would go chasing a cure for barrel droop either since the stock is designed to not float. plus, i would have to correct the problem in 3 10/22s now. my groups or accuracy have never been an issue in any of my 10/22s so im just wondering...

on another note, how many people have had to make modifications to the bolt to get lower power or match ammo run better? i tried a bunch of ammo, both match and standard and the match stuff would jam while the higher power stuff was flawless. i was going to look for a lighter recoil spring, but shaving weight from the bolt seems to be the preferred way. any thoughts?

Be careful shaving weight off the bolt..... You could get into some timing issues there. Rounding the rear of the bolt helps with F/F with subs, as does a lighter recoil spring.

You could probably do the work yourself if you were handy enough, but it's honestly likely more economically feasible to just send the bolt off to rework, or replace it entirely. Any of the bolt rework guys will also set your headspace to .043, pin your FP, and do the radius on the back for around $40. Or you could sell your factory bolt for $35ish and buy a Kidd CNC bolt for like $80-90 and have it come complete with all new Kidd parts. My Kidd setup F/F's with just about everything I can cram into a magazine.....

macman2564 ,
Looks good! What tool did you use to hog out the butt hook?Was it difficult to cut the wood?

nice pics man. i added a whistle pig barrel to mine. gotta say i love the lightness of it. and i thought the guy with the S&B on his 10/22 made my mind hurt. nice USO, good looking camo too.

Thanks alot guys. It was really easy to make the butt hook. All I used was a dremel with the sanding attatchment. It really only took about 10 minutes to get it shaped up.

I would like to add something to give it a little longer LOP later on. But I'm not to sure what will work. Has anyone tried anything??

Anyone have any word on if/when they're going to be putting out more of these?

Silverback how and where did you just order one ? Boyd's doesn't have them anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silverback how and where did you just order one ? Boyd's doesn't have them anymore. </div></div>
+1 I would like to get another one if possible.

That sucks. But I am still going to buy one.

I inquired about one, this is what their CS said:

"Those were a limited edition and I cannot see them running them again for at least another 6 months."

Trish Norgaard
Retail Sales Division
Boyds' Gunstock Industries
www.boydsgunstocks.com

This is what I was told when I inquired about the stock. I wonder with all the interest why they are not making them again yet.

"We do not have a production date yet. I will place your name on our request."

Trish Norgaard
Retail Sales Division
Boyds' Gunstock Industries
www.boydsgunstocks.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jinta, holy heck man. nice glass </div></div>
+1 !!

Good to see their back again !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jinta, holy heck man. nice glass </div></div>
+1 !!

</div></div>

Thank you gents.

Now I have to find time to get out to shoot.