• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 223 Gas Gun Build

deerhunter9790

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
Southern Pines, NC
Here is my new 223 Gas gun I built for coyote hunting and some competitive shooting as well. I really like how it’s turned out!
Specs:

Receiver Set: Grey Ghost Precision MKII
Handguard: Geissele MK18
Barrel: Ballistic Advantage SPR Fluted 18”
Trigger: Geissele High Speed NM
Stock: Magpul PRS Gen 3
Buffer Spring: JP Silent Captured
Optics: Leupold MK5 5-25
Optic Mount: Geissele MK5 Mount Suppressor: Silencerco Omega 300

I am looking to do some load development with 55 grain VMAX bullets if anyone has any good recipes. I have TAC and Varget available with CCI 450 primers.
6601EB19-7198-482D-9ACD-801107D002CB.jpeg

Good looking rifle. I have a very similar set up in 6.5 Grendel. In for the range report.

I have good luck with 25 grains benchmark and the 55 vmax. Out of the 2 powders you mentioned I would use Tac unless you plan on weighing every charge then Varget would get the nod.

Build looks good, but 55’s are gonna suck for target shooting unless it’s close. You could run 77gr Bergers instead and have a great bullet for targets that also won’t blow holes in coyotes if you care about the fur. 8208 is a better powder choice too. Tac and Varget are both way too slow for 55’s, but Tac will be ok with heavies, 8208 is still better though since it’s way more temp stable, and gives higher velocities.

If you’re set on 55’s I’d use nothing but H322. Temp stable and the perfect burn rate for that combo in an 18” AR. I’d also run 53gr vmax over the 55gr because they have a significantly better BC.

Build looks good, but 55’s are gonna suck for target shooting unless it’s close. You could run 77gr Bergers instead and have a great bullet for targets that also won’t blow holes in coyotes if you care about the fur. 8208 is a better powder choice too. Tac and Varget are both way too slow for 55’s, but Tac will be ok with heavies, 8208 is still better though since it’s way more temp stable, and gives higher velocities.

If you’re set on 55’s I’d use nothing but H322. Temp stable and the perfect burn rate for that combo in an 18” AR. I’d also run 53gr vmax over the 55gr because they have a significantly better BC.
Awesome feedback. Yea I normally load 77 SMKs with TAC and also shoot Atlanta Arms 77s which shoot phenomenal. I was looking at some lighter Varmit loads for hunting. I have some 8208 and also H322 so I can try both. I think I only have 1 pound of each at this point.

I will check the 53 VMAX out for sure!