• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 300 RUM owner

The Surgeons Ghost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
Geary, Oklahoma
Hey folks, bought a R700 Sendero 300 RUM last weekend. I intend on pulling the stock off and either going with a Manners or McMillan. I plan to re-paint the action and barrel to compliment the stock. This rifle is mainly to have fun with. I do intend on placing a break on it so if you all could please give me some info on which break you all recommend I would appreciate it.

I do not hand load, but in the case of this rifle I believe I am going to have to learn if I am to find the load that will meet my needs for this rifle. What I am looking to achieve out of this gun is punching steel at extreme long ranges in excess of 1,300 yrds. I do intend on hunting with the gun but the distances will not be past 900 yrds. As far as manufactured loads what are my best options? I have found a bullet that looks good on paper but not really sure, that is the .30 cal Berger 185 Hybrid. Based on a 3200 fps the stability factor is very high. What are your thoughts on this bullet? If you would choose something else, then by all means please tell me.

Like I said before, I do not hand load nor do I know anything about it. What do I need to do to gain the knowledge for hand loading? Or, are there other options out there that a company offers a shooter?

Thanks for the replies and help with this!

Brian

Re: New 300 RUM owner

1. Good call on getting a brake. I can't imagine a 300RUM without one.

2. The 185 Berger will really not make use of that cartridge past 1000 like you want. Look to the 200++ bullets like the 230 Berger.

3. Factory ammo for ELR is not available. You'll need to roll your own.

4. Read the "Hand loading for long range" sticky threads in the reloading section a few times, buy a manual or two (I recommend any Speed manual) and you'll be in business in no time.

I would contact Ross at RWS here on the hide. Great brake, great service.

I have all the components for a 300 Rum, just waiting for funds for an XLR chassis to put it all together.

Reloading is a must. Tons of resources on the net and YouTube.

Also, I would go as heavy as possible on bullet weight, that is how you stretch the margin between it and a 300 win. 220 or 230 gr at around 3000fps I would guess.

I would definitely brake that rifle. Accuracy will improve when you are not flinching.

For long range shooting, you will want to reload. This will not only provide you the highest quality ammo but also save you a bunch of money. Factory Ammo for that rifle is not cheap. If you have to shoot it for awhile before getting into reloading, look into HSM Ammo. They make factory ammo with 210 Berger VLDS.

Hit me up when you get to reloading. Have spent some time with the 300 RUM.

I had a 300 RUM BDL when I was younger, I loved it. I still kick myself in the ass for letting it go. Recoil never did bother me, but of course I was younger then as well. I can still remember when I bought the gun when it first hit the market. The guy at the counter asked me when I finally decided on that gun, "Why not just let a mule kick you in the ass, its cheaper." LOL

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that I would end up reloading for this one. Oh well, I really need to anyway since I like playing around with my 308 quite a bit at long range as well. Right now I am running B. Litz's 175 OTM out of it. Can't complain at all on how she groups. Not sure if I'll mess with that load recipe. Just reverse engineer his round and then build it back on my own and same a few bucks.

Another recommendation for one of Ross' RWS breaks. I have one on my 300 Win Mag and can shoot it all day with no problem. Just make sure you measure your barrel correctly as he turns the taper down to the measurement given.

My caliper was off so initially I had a lip protruding at the crush point. Luckily for me, my smith had his apprentice install it and it blew off on the 10th round. My smith took full responsibility for it, measured the barrel with his caliper and Ross sent me a new break free of charge, after new install everything is great.

pretty much what everyone else is saying. A break is a good idea.

reloading is a must IMO
Screw the 180's step up to what that big case was meant for, 210's and up.

I shoot the 230 berger target hybrids at 2990fps
and the 225 hornady match BTHP's at 3005fps. Unfortunately i have only taken it out to 500yrds at this point but it is crazy consistent and when i get to it should have no problem reaching out to 1k +

If you are looking for 300 rum topics on the hide, save yourself some time and just look through my post history. There should be several concerning the cartridge, rifles and various on reloading.

congrates on the purchase and enjoy, i love my 300rum

you will be happy with the sendero. i had a de brake installed on mine and it's a blast to shoot. 210 bergers produce 1/2 moa and i've taken mine out to 1000yds already with great results. gonna get set up for the 1mile shot soon.lol

Brake is a must. Just brutal without one. Sorted 208gr amax's have worked great out of mine and can be driven very fast with an excellent BC. 1300 yards is barely breaking a sweat for the 300 RUM if using the proper components.

That is my goal for the rifle. I have a 308 Surgeon and I absolutely love it but it is a 1,000 -1,200 yard gun. I have access to 2,000 - 2,400 yards and I am looking forward to stretching her legs a bit. I will indeed drop a break on her. I am looking at a Painkiller. I am also going to get the weight up on the rifle around 17 - 20 lbs if possible without changing the barrel. Since the gun is already accurate out of the box, I am not going to change anything on the rifle but the stock. So, all my weight needs to come from that and the scope & accessories. I figure with a heavier rifle and a good break, the RUM ought to be pretty comfortable to shoot.

I don't have a brake on my 300rum and really don't feel like I need one but that is just me. Most people say a brake is a must.

Handloading is a must if you are planning on doing any precision shooting with this rifle, I think. 208 amax's are my choice. For those who just want to use this rifle for large game out to 400 yards or so factory ammo is probably fine. I am far from a expert with this rifle so my opinion may not mean much.

Let me ask this while we are on the subject, what kind of barrel life are ya'll actually getting out of the 300rum. I always hear 1000 rds. Is this actually what people are getting out of the barrels or just what everyone says.

I believe I remember seeing somewhere where people were claming close to 2000rds before they noticed any accuracy dropoff. I was just wondering if anyone had any hard data on this.

I'm on my 2nd Hart barrel in 300RUM. First one went 1500, set it back and another 1650 then put a new tube on it last summer.

As far as brakes, the Muscle Brake 3 port from Jim See at Centershot gets my vote. My current configuration weighs 15.3lbs. ready to fire and recoils like a 308.

I'd STRONGLY suggest rolling your own. The 200gr. Accubond does very well at 3180 out of my 28" tube, the 208 Amax does best at 3060. I haven't run any Berger yet but they are on the menu..
I used to run Retumbo but the last batch I got was on the hot side. I switched to H1000 and have been a happy boy ever since!

When looking in to brass, the Nosler brass is nice but not necessary. I have been running match prepped Remington with one load and noticing no performance difference. LRH is a pretty good resource for 300RUM info as well.

Thanks Hookturnr. That was what I was wondering.

I am also using Remington brass and have not had any problems that I could notice. I have looked for other brands of brass but Remington brass is pretty much the only brand I could find. I think I did find some Nosler brass on one site but it was out of stock.

Are there any other brands of brass out there that are readily available, if so where do ya'll get it from?

I have a 18lbs 300 rum with a nightforce nice break and all. At that weight with a break it does not kick at all. We have another one that weighs 17lbs with kreigers breake and it does not kick at all. For a break ross's break is good but his buddy's four port break is better for the big guns. As for bullets the 208 amax is nice I have shot mine to 1100 yards and a friend shot 1760 yards and did well. The berger 210 and 230 are nice to very accurate and high bc. Mine shoots the 208's at 3220 fps and the other one shoots 210 bergers at 3120 fps.