• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 308 build from scratch with 80% lower

Captain

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
First post here, just joined.

I've decided to build a semi-auto 308 with an 80% lower in DPMS format (I live in blue state:( and I've already committed).
I'm familiar with AR-15s but I'm new to 308 semis and I'm thinking it would be fun to put one together.
Just seeking help from those who've had experience with various MFGs. I can provide details about the MFG of the particular 80% lower i've chosen if it helps. I'm trying to choose between DPMS or Armalite style upper receiver components, can you point me to a thread or 2 that you guys like? Will JP Enterprises fit on a DPMS lower? Are they more reliable than DMPS or AR? Thanks!

My thinking behind this build is that with a DPMS style lower, I can choose upper asssemply components from either AR, DPMS, or JP, but not mix them of course due to the compatibility issues. Is this not correct?

Armalite lowers can accept 3rd party mags now.
AR-10A A4 7.62 CARBINE, BLACK

My thinking behind this build is that with a DPMS style lower I can choose to build the upper assembly from either AR, DPMS, or JP but not mix and match of course due to compatibility issues. Is this not correct?

AR makes lowers that accept 3rd party mags now too, but I went with the DPMS style given the climate.

Sorry, looks Mega lowers provide the option to use all 3. My mistake. Wait times aside, for a DMPS format upper, who would you recommend for barrel fitting and assembly? Kreiger? Thanks again.

DPMS pattern lowers are only compatible with LR-308, SR-25, etc. pattern uppers, no Armalite whatsoever. I would hit up Scott with Specialized Dynamics. I believe he has built quite a few rifles for some members here, and will be completing a few uppers for myself here in the near future hopefully.

There are a couple groups for lowers -

SR25 style - LMT , KAC and Larue - Same bolt carrier and extension (Only compatible with their own type)

DPMS - A whole host of clones - Same bolt carrier and extension (Only compatible with their own type)

Armalite - Aero . Noveske (Only compatible with their own type)
(Orginal and A models - are the same mag as knights as that is was the basis for the SR-25)

Misc - Mega, HK, S&W - These are all compatible only with their own lowers - (Only compatible with their own type)
* Only mega can run either or but they have to match.

Most 80% are DPMS -

please provide info on the 308 lowers. haven't been able to find any

SR25 style - LMT , KAC and Larue - Same bolt carrier and extension (Only compatible with their own type)

DPMS - A whole host of clones - Same bolt carrier and extension (Only compatible with their own type)

(Orginal and A models - are the same mag as knights as that is was the basis for the SR-25)

Misc - Mega, HK, S&W - These are all compatible only with their own lowers - (Only compatible with their own type)

Most 80% are DPMS -

Armalite is making new 308 lowers that accept 3rd party mags now

I apologize if i wasn't clear. I was referring to the OP and his 80% lowers. can't find any. already have a couple of commercial 308 lowers. thanks.

Most 80% are DPMS -

A local machine shop in San Diego called TPM Machine/Arms is working out the kinks in their process and getting 80% 308 lowers on the drawing board but no production yet. They say a few months.