• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New .308, LMT, LaRue or build?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Give me your advice.

Do I pay out the ass for an LMT which is probably not worth what you pay and have it in a week, Wait a lifetime for a LaRue and hope it's not any longer or build my own .308?

The down side to building is the lack of tech and customer support, the up side, I can build exactly what I want.

Having a hard time finding receivers I like in .308.

I was just going through the same process about getting a LMT. I could have one right now from GT Dist. but not willing to wait on a OBR. So I opted for a JP- LRP-07h. Then I added a few things. They have the 7h in stock and ready to ship right now. The only different between the 7h vs LRP-7 is that the 7h is already configured. But if you decided to order a LRP-07 I was told it's about 10-12 week wait. I ordered mine last fri, and was told it would be here in a week.

Give me your advice.

Do I pay out the ass for an LMT which is probably not worth what you pay and have it in a week, Wait a lifetime for a LaRue and hope it's not any longer or build my own .308?

The down side to building is the lack of tech and customer support, the up side, I can build exactly what I want.

Why the negative comment about the LMT - Inquiring minds want to know? Thank you.

Why the negative comment about the LMT - Inquiring minds want to know? Thank you.

Sorry if that came off strong. I actually love the LMT, however, it's 1k more than almost anything else out there (I wasn't the SS slick). I have seen the accuracy, and it is good, but a GA, LaRue and JP shoot just as well or better.

I feel that I could build a rifle equally accurate, lighter and reliable.

The downside, no customer support.

Sounds like you answered your own question. Just build one the exact way you like it. Mega would be the receivers I'd us as well. Also KAC would be nice too.

Sorry if that came off strong. I actually love the LMT, however, it's 1k more than almost anything else out there (I wasn't the SS slick). I have seen the accuracy, and it is good, but a GA, LaRue and JP shoot just as well or better.

I feel that I could build a rifle equally accurate, lighter and reliable.

The downside, no customer support.

I think everyone ponders the same question. After looking at a lot of great options and companies that were close to what I wanted I finally just decided to build it and get everything that I wanted. I love the look of the MEGA MATEN. Added a PRS stock, Geissele trigger, and everything else from JP. Just waiting on the barrel to show up now.

As far as customer service goes, if you buy a barrel, trigger, bolt / carrier, etc from a reputable manufacturer, you should be covered. If you are even somewhat considering going custom, do it.

FYI I order my JP on 5-12-14 and just got an email that the gun already shipped and will be here on 5-19-14

If I were looking for a platform to invest in I think it'd be LMT because of the barrel swap and the fact that you can actually get one soon. I wouldn't pay more than 2500 for it with a chrome lined barrel though.

For just a shooter there are plenty of people with armalites and DPMS rifles plugging away. Or you could get a mega set or hogan set (POF) and build your own.

I wouldnt do a mega everyone does a mega try getting your hands on a seekins be different I have a mega and its a basic cookie cutter maten build jp hand guard prs stock yada yada my barrel is the only thing that sets it apart and of course my optics.

Get the JP LRP-07 and be done with it. It is one of the lightest, softest, accurate, and reliable AR .308 rifles you can buy and it is all backed up with the best customer service you will ever find. JP rifles do cost a little more but then you also get more especially Quality.

GAP 10
My $.02
And you can brag bout owning a GAP
Or you can get a DPMS, and spend the rest of the money on optics. My SASS is boringly accurate. Once I stopped cleaning the barrel anyway. The JP Trigger that was in it sucks ass though.

G2gjoe I have a JP Trigger and love it one of the best single action triggers I have ever used, why didn't you like yours? Just about everyone I know that has one loves it.

Give me your advice.

Pick up a JP LRP. Our build times on rifles that we order has been 8 weeks.

G2gjoe I have a JP Trigger and love it one of the best single action triggers I have ever used, why didn't you like yours? Just about everyone I know that has one loves it.

It's definitely better than a stock milspec but it was really gritty with a long pull for a single stage trigger. Although after about 40 or 50 rounds it did get a little better, but I had already ordered my Geissele DMR.
Glad I did, it's amazing. And the break point on the JP just never felt consistent.
I also have an AR-15 with a Timney that feels & breaks MUCH better than the JP. My Timney is a 4#, but I would think the 3# would be better for a precision rifle, but I don't know if you can get a 3# for .308 platforms yet.
If I was to do it all over again, I would just get the Geissele SSA-E instead of the DMR, it has a longer lock time than the DMR, but my DMR was a bitch to get it adjusted just right.

What other single stage triggers have you tried? Maybe my JP was just a lemon.

well you can't go wrong with Timney or Geissele thats for sure, sorry to hear you didn't like it.

If I were looking for a platform to invest in I think it'd be LMT because of the barrel swap and the fact that you can actually get one soon. I wouldn't pay more than 2500 for it with a chrome lined barrel though.

For just a shooter there are plenty of people with armalites and DPMS rifles plugging away. Or you could get a mega set or hogan set (POF) and build your own.

Where are you seeing them for $2500? I would be all about it if I could find one.

Look around they are in the 2500 range when they are used.... The LMT is a big heavy pig which is why it shoots so well

Wait for Memorial Day sales and Fourth of July sales to buy components if you are going to build your own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk