• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge

General comment from someone that shoots a lot of 6mms in bolt guns and some 6mm ARC:

Barnes Match burners in 112gr & 105gr - 105MBs may be the "best" of the cheap 105+/- weight target projectiles. 112s seem to be split among haters and lovers
Sierra matchking 110gr and 107gr - 107SMKs get a lot of well deserved love - do not see 110 SMKs much (still available?).
Berger 108gr elite hunter and 109gr target - assume you mean Berger 109 Hybrids - they are super popular in PRS therefore hard to find and expensive. Berger 108th EH popular 109 alternative.
Berger 105-115 VLD. Berger 105 Hybrid super popular in PRS - again becomes hard to find and pricey.
Nosler 105-115gr RDF, 107 competition - RDFs often labeled "Random Damn Flyers". I have a pile of 115 RDF "blems" but have not tried then yet.

I would try 105 Match Burners especially if 600 yards in and 107 SMKs may be better.

What kind of barrel life is everyone seeing with the 6 ARC?

I had the Acro ring mount lying around so I figured why not. Also, my cans came back from Ecco Machine so I hope to get this puppy back to the range soon and see how she runs suppressed.

pGvxRcC.jpg

R3OQh98.jpg

I’m hitting the range tomorrow with my budget 6 arc build. I got my Steiner M8Xi scope back from Steiner. I ended up getting a few debris inside the reticle. Nothing bad and only seen when looking at a brightly lit white ceiling, but definitely wasn’t gonna leave it on a $2,000 dollar scope, so I sent the optic in and Steiner took care of it free shipping both ways 😁.

Anyways, my gun is a CMMG 20” 6MM ARC upper, Palmetto lower, and a Reptilia 34MM 1.5” mount. Nothing super amazing here. But I have some good glass at least to practice with. I can typically shoot about 1.5” inches or 1.75” inches at 100 yards. I am very new to rifle shooting and trying to get better, I’m not very good grouping is difficult! I really want to suppress this thing ASAP to tame some of that noise. And get a good bipod for better accuracy.😃

I've been looking at the heavy end of the projectile spectrum and I'm wondering if anyone has tried these:

Barnes Match burners in 112gr & 105gr
Sierra matchking 110gr and 107gr
Berger 108gr elite hunter and 109gr target
Berger 105-115 VLD
Nosler 105-115gr RDF, 107 competition

I'm gonna guess that some like the nosler 115gr, and Berger 115gr are to long to fit in the magazines? Really curious how the Barnes match burners are working.
I have this barrel that is a 1 : 7.5 twist and shoot almost exclusively 105 VLDs and Lvr - it holds MOA at 750 yards. I've shot it to 1000. has about 2 or 3k rounds down the tube and still shoots well. Last time I was at the range I got bored of headshots and started shooting eyeball shots from 200-500yds. It does need a deep cleaning of the gas tube but still shoots very accurately.

I’ve been running a 26” Craddock spun barrel in 6ARC for a while now and decided it was time to mod another rifle since I’m really enjoying this cartridge.

So my trusty LMT MLR was converted by DWilson to use a 16” Proof carbon barrel. Honestly I wasn’t expecting too much; just a leg up over the 77gr .223REM I’d been running in it for years.

I took it to the range this morning to run a bunch of different loads through it to get an idea of what it might like: Berger 95 VLD TGT, 105 Scenar-L, 109 LRHT - all shot ok, but had some feed issues. For shits and giggles I loaded up some 103 ELD-Xs I had laying around. I’ve moved away from Hornady components years ago for precision loads - they just always seemed to give me problems and I guess I’m really snobby.

But wow, those 103 ELD-Xs fed flawlessly! They also grouped remarkably well in the 29-30gr range with LVR and still gave me around 2530 fps out of that 16” barrel. If you’re running a 6ARC AR15, give them a try (or maybe I’m just totally late to the game?).

I’ve been running a 26” Craddock spun barrel in 6ARC for a while now and decided it was time to mod another rifle since I’m really enjoying this cartridge.

So my trusty LMT MLR was converted by DWilson to use a 16” Proof carbon barrel. Honestly I wasn’t expecting too much; just a leg up over the 77gr .223REM I’d been running in it for years.

I took it to the range this morning to run a bunch of different loads through it to get an idea of what it might like: Berger 95 VLD TGT, 105 Scenar-L, 109 LRHT - all shot ok, but had some feed issues. For shits and giggles I loaded up some 103 ELD-Xs I had laying around. I’ve moved away from Hornady components years ago for precision loads - they just always seemed to give me problems and I guess I’m really snobby.

But wow, those 103 ELD-Xs fed flawlessly! They also grouped remarkably well in the 29-30gr range with LVR and still gave me around 2530 fps out of that 16” barrel. If you’re running a 6ARC AR15, give them a try (or maybe I’m just totally late to the game?).

What size were the groups?

Again, using my own loads for a different 26" barrel, groups were still < 1.5MOA. I then loaded a powder ladder with the 95 VLD thinking that would be a good bullet for a 16" barrel (and I have thousands of them handy), but groups fluctuated between 1.2 MOA and 0.7 MOA. Velocity range was 2381fps w/ 28gr of LVR, and 2694 with 30.7gr (no pressure). But again, I had some feed issues.

I had some 103 ELD-Xs left over from troubleshooting a 6mm Creedmoor barrel from last year, so I loaded them from 28gr (2360fps) to 30.7gr (2646fps). Looking at the data, groups were tighter with 0.8 MOA on the high end and 0.3 MOA on the low end. These were 5-shot groups and not really intended for load development because this is a new barrel - I was just trying to get rounds down the bore and see what velocities I was getting. The sweet spot in this one was actually 29.5 of LVR giving me 2526 fps. And again, unlike the other bullets, these all loaded flawlessly. I suspect it has to with the more pronounced tangent ogive of the bullet vs the secant of the VLD. The VLD seemed to have trouble getting into the feed ramp reliably, while the more rounded ELD-X jumped right in. I cycled through three different 10-round Lancer mags in the testing.

So it's still early and this is fairly anecdotal, but I've already ordered some more 103 ELD-Xs to see if I can make a load that matches the results I got in testing today.

Note: I was using virgin Starline brass, GM205MAR and loaded to 2.25" COAL.

Reactions: tex68w
Again, using my own loads for a different 26" barrel, groups were still < 1.5MOA. I then loaded a powder ladder with the 95 VLD thinking that would be a good bullet for a 16" barrel (and I have thousands of them handy), but groups fluctuated between 1.2 MOA and 0.7 MOA. Velocity range was 2381fps w/ 28gr of LVR, and 2694 with 30.7gr (no pressure). But again, I had some feed issues.

I had some 103 ELD-Xs left over from troubleshooting a 6mm Creedmoor barrel from last year, so I loaded them from 28gr (2360fps) to 30.7gr (2646fps). Looking at the data, groups were tighter with 0.8 MOA on the high end and 0.3 MOA on the low end. These were 5-shot groups and not really intended for load development because this is a new barrel - I was just trying to get rounds down the bore and see what velocities I was getting. The sweet spot in this one was actually 29.5 of LVR giving me 2526 fps. And again, unlike the other bullets, these all loaded flawlessly. I suspect it has to with the more pronounced tangent ogive of the bullet vs the secant of the VLD. The VLD seemed to have trouble getting into the feed ramp reliably, while the more rounded ELD-X jumped right in. I cycled through three different 10-round Lancer mags in the testing.

So it's still early and this is fairly anecdotal, but I've already ordered some more 103 ELD-Xs to see if I can make a load that matches the results I got in testing today.

Note: I was using virgin Starline brass, GM205MAR and loaded to 2.25" COAL.

Great feedback, thanks for the detailed reply. I had feed issues with the 80 VT's but I think it was more of gas issue than feed ramps. I'll know more when I get back to the range this week.

Very nice, congrats! Optic and load plans?
I’ll do the review with an atacr 4-16 using factory ammo at the moment. Just don’t have time to reload this time of year. If it shoots well then I’ll use it for my coyote rig using a halo xrf.

I’ll do the review with an atacr 4-16 using factory ammo at the moment. Just don’t have time to reload this time of year. If it shoots well then I’ll use it for my coyote rig using a halo xrf.

Please chrono the loads. This rifle has really piqued my interest. Thanks!

Can you please detail your build? I am brooding about 6 ARC and would love to hear about it.

LMT MARS-L MRP base rifle, Proof Carbon 18” 6 ARC Rifle +1 gas length with SLR Micro gas block. JP 6 ARC bolt in an LMT SA carrier, carbine buffer and spring. Rearden SPB brake, HUB converted AAC SDN-6, NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 Mil-XT in a Reptilia AUS mount.

Not even a hot-loaded .223 Rem 24” will be competitive with 6mm ARC from a 16” barrel. BCs are just way too high compared to .224” bullets that will mag feed, or even the single loaded options in .223 Rem with longer throats and lead sleds.

You start with more energy at the muzzle with .467 G1 BC for the 95gr Bergers, vs .420 G1 for the 77gr TMK or .372 for the 77gr SMK.

With CFE223 or LVR, you can do 2650-2700fps from a 16” barrel with 95gr. I would want a long gas system for that though. 103gr ELD-X doing 2530fps is what I would expect after running the Hodgdon’s data through an internal ballistics engine, which says 2523fps for 28.5gr of LVR. Hodgdon’s has 6mm ARC data out now.

I’ve clocked 2698fps from my 12” Grendel with 90gr TNT factory Federal ammo. BC isn’t competitive on those, but they’re still great for short range. Would be cool to have an updated 90gr 6.5mm bullet with long ogive and boat tail.

A 14.5” 6mm ARC would be fun I think with ILGS.

Something interesting I keep seeing with LVR in 6ARC: the higher the charge, the better the consistency.

Reactions: LRBuck
I know some of you were waiting for my review of the gfr. Here’s a link if interested

Wondering if you all could give me some input on my build: RtR Croddock barrel 22” 6arc +1 gas tube. And an adjustable superlative gas block.

The rest of the build will be Geissslee .. (like it really matters anyway) . the issue : will the +1 long enough???

considering proof went with a +1 in 18 inch !! Perhaps Craddock should’ve went with a +2..???

anybody talk about the Craddock ready to rock barrels in 6ARC??

the only reason I am considering doing one at this time. there’s brass in stock … I roll my own.

Wondering if you all could give me some input on my build: RtR Croddock barrel 22” 6arc +1 gas tube. And an adjustable superlative gas block.

The rest of the build will be Geissslee .. (like it really matters anyway) . the issue : will the +1 long enough???

considering proof went with a +1 in 18 inch !! Perhaps Craddock should’ve went with a +2..???

the only reason I am considering doing one at this time. there’s brass in stock … I roll my own.
Based on my experience with a 22" CLE Criterion barrel with +1 gas & an adjustable gas block, the gas length works well as far as being reliable and easily tuned. Some of it will depend on gas port size.

I'm also waiting on for a Craddock ready to rock 22" 6 arc barrel to arrive later this week. I've been looking for another barrel and when I saw what they had to offer at $350, I figured it is worth a shot.

Press or cry like the rest! IDK about that barrel. What bullet/powder are you considering? I use 105s with LVR and it clogged my gas SA adjustable block/tube. Recently replaced with new tube and normal gas block and we will see how many 1000's of rounds it will run. I'm keeping the SA gas block an another tube as a quick replacement if it clogs again.

My RC from Craddock is 22” +2 from a few years ago when the 6 ARC was introduced. Love it. Still shooting lights out for me and soft recoil.
I don’t shoot suppressed. I had gas cycling issues, problematic enough to call and consult with Paul. Worked it out with his help, but it left me thinking perhaps +1 would’ve avoided some of my issues. It was not getting enough gas with my handloads, and sometimes factory, even with the AGB wide open. One of his suggestions was to open the gas port a little. I can’t recall what he said it was, but it was small.

I think you will be fine +1 and an AGB in the 22”.

My RC from Craddock is 22” +2 from a few years ago when the 6 ARC was introduced. Love it. Still shooting lights out for me and soft recoil.
I don’t shoot suppressed. I had gas cycling issues, problematic enough to call and consult with Paul. Worked it out with his help, but it left me thinking perhaps +1 would’ve avoided some of my issues. It was not getting enough gas with my handloads, and sometimes factory, even with the AGB wide open. One of his suggestions was to open the gas port a little. I can’t recall what he said it was, but it was small.

Proof 18" runs a .096 port size and the 20" runs a .093, what size is your Craddock 22"?

Proof 18" runs a .096 port size and the 20" runs a .093, what size is your Craddock 22"?
I think he said .085 or maybe .086. I would have to search notes to be sure. I didn’t open it up. Solved it with a lighter spring.

400 more rounds of 108's headed my way, looking forward to getting this thing dialed in.

Well, it’s good to know it sounds like though if you run suppressor, probably the +2 would be the way to go for running a 22 inch barrel
I do realize one can order that up specially, but that adds to the price considerable

Press or cry like the rest! IDK about that barrel. What bullet/powder are you considering? I use 105s with LVR and it clogged my gas SA adjustable block/tube. Recently replaced with new tube and normal gas block and we will see how many 1000's of rounds it will run. I'm keeping the SA gas block an another tube as a quick replacement if it clogs again.
Right now I picked up 500 of I believe they were game changers or gain something 85 grain 6 mm sierra ..2nd bullets…

29gr shooter world precision 2700

26.7 sw p and 108gr eld= 2839

None of these said any pressure signs my biggest issue or complaint is once you and these brass they get beat to fuck when It’s ejected, the barrel extension smashes the mouth, and although the extension was smooth out with no sharp edges where the case will come out , large scratches right at the beginning of the case, head, right as the case starts to taper…

I deberred all of my magazines,
And I smoothed out any area on the barrel extension
Some of it looks like the dreaded snakebite, but on the beginning of taper…

That’s the issue I have with this case is that it seems to get jacked up when you do any sort of softening of the case/ a.k.a. Ankneeling

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 17
I haven’t ran into gas block issues cause I barely put 100 rounds down and I’ve not lever powder…. I have noticed that if I attempt to put a heavier buffer like an H2 in it will not fully pushed the bolt all the way back to the last catch..

Lever- was never meant to run in a Gasser

Perhaps JP‘s new Gas block that doesn’t allow the gas to plug up. would be a better choice.

Just gotta do your maintenance a little more with that gas tube. I for one don’t know if I’ll be doing 1000 rounds in a day so I think I’m OK least I’m not going to war with this gun anyway

Are you plugging a tube with just 100 to 200 rounds or how many rounds you talking about?

Sorry I missed your reply. The arc without any ported barrel comp…for me is not a light recoiling gun for me (have nothing in the end right now)

Try shooting w/o a barrel device on the end?

I have a flat wire and h1 …

tried a h2 and I couldn’t get the bolt to go back far enough to do that last bit of lock that it needs .

I may just put a non-adjustable gas block on there and see what it runs with it all the way open and an H2 buffer probably will shoot better but that’s kind of the game right??

Do you want more heavy bolt / spring and buffer with MORE GASS??
or lighter bolt/ buffer and normal spring with lLESS GAS???

I’ll be honest I don’t know the answer to that question and with this gun so far.. I’m not sure having a heavy buffer or bolt is the way to go and a heavy spring to boot??

Perhaps a lighter spring and I have your bolt and more gas would be the way to go then it may allow the bolt to go back far enough to lock, but yet unlocked later due to the heavier buffer??

I’m sure this is a rabbit hole most don’t want to go down

Last edited:
Shooter world, precision, AKa Varget copy
Thought it would work better due to the shorter grains that are cut. I could only get about 29gr in the starline brass with 85 hunting bullet…

The issue isn’t that I run out of room in the magazine, plenty of room left …but it jams into the lands before you can have the bullet out far enough to give it more room for the extruded powder.

got so crunchy it deformed the bullet due to the resistance of being too full

Perhaps ball powders are the way to go by extruded powder seemed pretty accurate, but from the sound of it, the ball powders you can get more in there..= more velocity and more accuracy??

Not sure if anybody tried H380, but one speculated that it would be too slow??
H380 isn’t an option for 6arc on Hodgdon website, but then again hodgdon doesn’t show H4350 or I4350 for 22CM either

Last edited:
As far as the case, scratching, I’ll just have to go in and do a little more fine polishing.

This is a short fat with very quick taper, which equals dented case mouth, especially if you aneal it… these cases were work hardened coming from Starline and they need to be annealed…jmho..

Probably because they needed to make sure the base of the case was hard enough and didn’t want to do the extra step..

I had dented casemouths at first as well. I super glued a pice of old style thick mousepad to the receiver rubber side out and fixed on the cheap. Just checked the rounds I shot Saturday and they are perfectly round.

As far as the case, scratching, I’ll just have to go in and do a little more fine polishing.

This is a short fat with very quick taper, which equals dented case mouth, especially if you aneal it… these cases were work hardened coming from Starline and they need to be annealed…jmho..

Probably because they needed to make sure the base of the case was hard enough and didn’t want to do the extra step..
not sure if you saw this, from TOS. It might help to get those inside corners of the barrel extension at 3 o'clock. Brass whacks those corners when it's pulled out of the chamber.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisi...woods-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-AR-fixed-/4-6919/

Last edited:
Sorry I missed your reply. The arc without any ported barrel comp…for me is not a light recoiling gun for me (have nothing in the end right now)

Try shooting w/o a barrel device on the end?

I have a flat wire and h1 …

tried a h2 and I couldn’t get the bolt to go back far enough to do that last bit of lock that it needs .

I may just put a non-adjustable gas block on there and see what it runs with it all the way open and an H2 buffer probably will shoot better but that’s kind of the game right??

Do you want more heavy bolt / spring and buffer with MORE GASS??
or lighter bolt/ buffer and normal spring with lLESS GAS???

I’ll be honest I don’t know the answer to that question and with this gun so far.. I’m not sure having a heavy buffer or bolt is the way to go and a heavy spring to boot??

Perhaps a lighter spring and I have your bolt and more gas would be the way to go then it may allow the bolt to go back far enough to lock, but yet unlocked later due to the heavier buffer??

I’m sure this is a rabbit hole most don’t want to go down
I think the simple YH phantom flash hider I have on it is all I ever used.

I don’t think I said anywhere above, but I run the 109g Berger LRHT over 29.5 of Lever. Depending on temp, it runs 2700-2740. It is a bit dirty, but I don’t run suppressed and have not had any issues with clogged AGB or tube yet and I’m sure I have more than 1500 down the pipe. That I was loading over Lever seemed to matter to Paul on his suggestion of opening the gas port for what that is worth.

As for heavy vs light bcg/spring and more/less gas - I may be way off here but… it has worked out for ME on this rig for light bcg/spring low gas. I BELIEVE it was at least in part because my lower seemed to allow my mags to sit up just a bit too high. This seemed to cause the bcg, after ejecting the spent case, to drag over the top of the cartridge still in the mag, pulling it along underneath and jamming/mangling the bullet on the feed ramps after having already pushed the next (correct) round up into the chamber. “Almost” a double feed. When I switched to the light BCG I had on hand, there was so much less material going over the top of the mag that it seemed to cure the issue. I believe it because I noticed the top cartridge in my mag - when it had not jammed- had scratches and gouges across the top of the case and the bullet. I could not think of any other explanation. had a light bcg, tried it, and never had another fail to feed and no more gouges.

I may not have explained this well and this isn’t directly what you asked about, but I thought context of why I think it worked out for me might matter. It seems some have worked it out well going heavy. since I fixed it and it shoots so well, I didn’t keep messing with it though I probably should have tried using other lowers to see if it was that or just my imagination running away with me.

Reactions: Kocher
I had dented casemouths at first as well. I super glued a pice of old style thick mousepad to the receiver rubber side out and fixed on the cheap. Just checked the rounds I shot Saturday and they are perfectly round.
similar here too. I have used one side foam tape on the deflector and case mouths are stay round. My buddy bought the “pads” someone sells with good results.

Reactions: Kocher
not sure if you saw this, from TOS. It might help to get those inside corners of the barrel extension at 3 o'clock. Brass whacks those corners when it's pulled out of the chamber.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisi...woods-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-AR-fixed-/4-6919/

ha ha, that’s pretty much what I was doing.. I went and smooth all the edges on the lugs of the barrel extension…

I found out the scratch on the case, is actually caused by the magazine just like that article. I did smoothing on them already. —. Lots

I still think it might be just the ejection throwing the case, directly into those hard barrel lugs.

Will be adding the mouse pad as well…

Last edited:
Hornady 108 Elds = 2,839. With 27.6 Sw precision (shorter cut than varget)

Judging by what others are getting for their velocities that’s good. 22” barrel .. I think I was right at the max as I believe I saw a bit of ever so slight smudge on the case..

I can’t comment on the grouping as it was only 50 yards as they shut down 100 yard range due to a trap meet

Attachments

• IMG_1854.png
    IMG_1854.png
    563.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
80ELD-VT 6ARC

Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Have a few Vmax’s right now
The ELD-VT= in 6mm 47$ @100
6mm 87 v-max 30$.

18$ more….
is the juice worth the squeeze?
100$ more for 500 bullets….
500rounds of 6mm ELD-VT. 240$

I think that’s the most expensive round this dubbed is a varmint round.. i’ve seen what the ELDVT does to coyote …damage is massive…. When hitting bone. Fur= ruined.

comparison between
22cal 62 grain ELD—VT
& 6 mm 87 grain V-Max
Visually..
The ELDVT is a very long bullet. I’m guessing it will be equal if not longer length than the 87 gr Vmax.

Although it’s not the most eloquent looking bullet certainly not very aerodynamic I’ll stick with the sierra game king I’ve got over 450 bullets left..

After that, I’m going to go to 105 grain approximately hunting bullet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1860.png
    IMG_1860.png
    845.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
80ELD-VT 6ARC

Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Have a few Vmax’s right now
The ELD-VT= in 6mm 47$ @100
6mm 87 v-max 30$.

18$ more….
is the juice worth the squeeze?
100$ more for 500 bullets….
500rounds of 6mm ELD-VT. 240$

I think that’s the most expensive round this dubbed is a varmint round.. i’ve seen what the ELDVT does to coyote …damage is massive…. When hitting bone. Fur= ruined.

comparison between
22cal 62 grain ELD—VT
& 6 mm 87 grain V-Max
Visually..
The ELDVT is a very long bullet. I’m guessing it will be equal if not longer length than the 87 gr Vmax.

Although it’s not the most eloquent looking bullet certainly not very aerodynamic I’ll stick with the sierra game king I’ve got over 450 bullets left..

After that, I’m going to go to 105 grain approximately hunting bullet.

$47 Fuck that.

1713485311330.png