• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New adams arms build, possible problem?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, I just completed an Adams Arms build. Dpms lower, some magpul furniture and the adams arms gas piston 16in upper in 5.56. Ive put about 70 rounds through it, no problems at all. Ive shot a considerable amount of 22lr through it also. I have noticed some wear inside the reciever. I was aware of the carrier tilt issue but i have checked the buffer tube and I dont see any wear at all. I dont know if this is a symptom of a problem or just normal wear. I have noticed that the finish on the rails has worn through in a few spots also. Maybe Adams Arms finish is abnormally thin? I have had a BCM upper pinned to a dpms lower for about 6 months now and never saw wear like this. I wanted to go to a piston operated gun for the convenience and piece of mind of a lower maintenance rifle, maybe im overreacting...you tell me.

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

Re: New adams arms build, possible problem?

It should be known that i have only shot steel cased ammo out of this.

It's really hard to tell what I'm seeing but I've never seen what that looks like being from a piston system. Are there any other angles you can show? Or maybe a not-so-close up?

Thats the only wear I see. Its seems like there is alot of carrier tilt along the x axis. I have never seen wear like this on any ar of any round count. I will contact adams arms monday. I hear their customer support is top notch.

When I installed a piston conversion on my stag 16in I noticed that it was just kicking back super hard. Like to much pressure for the stock recoil system. I also shoot some steel case. So I installed a voltor emod stock and buffer tube with there full wieght buffer their heaviest can't remember I think the h3. None the less this slowed down my rate of fire and smoothed out recoil and I no longer have a issue.

So... Is that wear INSIDE the upper? It almost looks like it's on the back edge where it meets the lower. What BCG are you using? Adams'? I believe the Adams BCG is beefier in the back and beveled to relieve too much bouncing around and carrier tilt.

Its the AA upper came with their BCG. The wear is in the right side of the reciever.

I called AA wednesday and they said they would call me back, havent hear back from them yet. While I am waiting on a call from AA I decided to poke around inside my rifle alittle more.

I compared the BCG/receiver fit to my friends LWRC. While I thought they appeared similar, my friend thought that the BCG had more play in it than his.

I took some measurements of the receiver and BCG. The average reading i got from the end of the receiver was 1.005, the average number I got from the BCG was .931. So that leaves .074 inches of horizontal play, ie X axis (viewed from the centerline of the receiver/barrel). Does that sound excessive?

I also noticed that the exterior of the receiver is black where as the inside, where the BCG contacts is grey. Its like the entire interior surface is wearing through. I must note that I oiled this upper before I shot it, or even operated the BCG. I always run my guns pretty wet. I have never seen wear like this, I am being led to believe that this maybe a defective finish.

I just cant believe that Ive never seen this on any forum ever. Boy am I lucky.