• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New addition to the AR family! Rock River Arms VARMINT 20"ss bull 1:8 barrel wylde

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2012
    www.youtube.com
    I just hooked up with this rock river arms varmint with a 20" ss bull barrel wylde chamber for an absolute steal @ $920 brand new in box out the door. Before you ask, yes... my other varmint rifle is sold. 18" to 20" barrel on an AR is perfect IMO. It was really hard selling my old RRA varmint rifle as she was soooo accurate. This is my 100% 5.56 precision bench rifle / prone shooting at the 600yard range.

I'm really pumped about the upper to lower fit. I got really lucky and the fit is ultra tight. Damn near on par with with LMT.

Now I just need to cross my fingers that she is a shooter. I've never had a rock river let me down yet. Possible bug holes incoming.

So far, my larue LT158 has been performing like a champ being flip flopped between my LMT, ATH, and now my varmint. It has been so easy just popping the scope off and putting it on another rifle with the zero between rifles only a click or two away.... so I said f#ck it, why buy another scope! The zero between .223 and .308 AR's is damn near identical @ 100yards I've found out and the DOPE is different anyway @ 300 / 600yards.. so far it's worked perfectly. Sub-moa groups no problem between my LMT & ATH. Crossing fingers now with this new varmint rifle.

Will keep you updated with range reports.

IMG_8221_zpse578e531.jpg

Last edited:
    Very nice! That's what I picture myself getting when the time comes that I get a .223 AR.

I'm interested in how it shoots for you, and knowing your past record, I'd expect to find that out soon, lol.

Congrats!! I have an 18 inch varmint, that I bought in about '07 for 820.00 new, and its nothing short of amazing as far as accuracy and reliability.

Some guys have all the luck finding great deals. Can't wait for a range report, congrats.

That is one slick looking AR. As we speak, I'm waiting on my own RRA 20" Varmint 1:8 Wylde upper for my own
    dedicated bench rifle in .223/5.56. Here's hoping you take it out to the range this weekend so we can see some
    pics of targets. Congrats!

It will most likely be on sunday when i go. Looking forward to it. Crossing fingers that she is a shooter right out of the gate.

That is one slick looking AR. As we speak, I'm waiting on my own RRA 20" Varmint 1:8 Wylde upper for my own
    dedicated bench rifle in .223/5.56. Here's hoping you take it out to the range this weekend so we can see some
    pics of targets. Congrats!

Once again, this rock river is a winner winner chicken dinner! Today was by no means the best conditions to shoot with some crazy mirage with 100% clear sky & about 8mph winds, but I was still able to pull off a sub-moa all day long with a bullseye bonus. That is the first time with any rifle I've been able to get sub-moa all day long & bullseye bonus on the same target, so needless to say I'm pumped about my new hammer. Absolutely no FTF & FTE. All brass ejected was 100% clean. I'm sure with some more barrel break in and some more load development this rifle is going to be amazing.

If this give anyone any doubts about rock river arms performance vs money invested (especially after my ATH & other sold varmint rifle), then you're just kidding yourself. I'm 100% sold on rock river. This rifle cost me $920 out the door. Enough said.

Shot with my ROCK RIVER ARMS VARMINT 20" BULL SAND BAG FRONT & SAND BAG REAR @ 100YARDS.
    Average was .8198
    Best group was .590
    Rifle used = ROCK RIVER ARMS VARMINT
    Barrel Length / Type = 20" SS BULL
    Optics = moa/moa 4-16x50 vortex viper FFP
    Mount = LARUE QD LT158

Shot with reloads
    3fired 5.56 LAKE CITY
    cci 41
    23.8 gr varget
    60 gr vmax bullet
    2.25" COAL

.674 + .590 + .976 + .891 + .835 + .953 = 4.919 / 6 = .8198 average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets:
    IMG_8232_zpscd1b5008.jpg

best group @ .590 :
    IMG_8242_zps33d3f5e1.jpg

bullseye bonus:
    IMG_8258_zpsa8c6d91a.jpg

rifle used, ROCK RIVER ARMS VARMINT 20" SS BULL BARREL:
    IMG_8221_zpse578e531.jpg

Nice shootin' Elf! Looks like a keeper for sure. You won't find too many rifles for $920 that can shoot consistent sub moa groups like that...
    Thanks for sharing man.

Thats some nice shooting. If they weren't banned here in MD I would have to try one of those out. Who knows maybe that could be considered an HBAR. Good find.

That is surely a keeper. Nice rifle and fine shooting. Maybe someday, in the future...

Have owned the 20” bull barrel varmint and the 20” nat'l match/predator pursuit uppers and both shot extremely well as you have shown
    Kept the lighter upper and still using it as a go-to varmint rig

Great rifle and shooting!

I can't comment on Rock River as I have never owned one, but I do have an Armalite in an identical format and it's wonderful to shoot. Smooth and light recoil makes precise follow-up shots almost effortless.

Just got back from shooting the new RRA 20" bull varmint with some rather good results using my go to ammo 60grns vmax with 23.8grns varget. Right out of the gate my sighter 5shot group was absolutely sick at about 2.875" (.4606moa). I would have to check my previous groups but I think this might be my personal best @ 600yards. My 2nd 5shot group wasn't too bad either right on the nuts @ 6" (.9612moa). Believe it or not we actually started to get SNOW (yes, snow) yesterday and today after my 2nd group and the wind really started to pick up. So far, so good.

102413rra20inch556_zpsbe4ad19a.jpg

sightertarget5shots600yards_zpse9c64658.jpg

finaltargetround25shots600yards_zpsc7d86bfc.jpg

A group like that at 600 yards with a semi-auto .223 out of the box......... is pretty much killer! Rock river continues to impress. Nice shooting too, again.:cool:

Ive had one for 3 years now, put a yhm rail on it and magpul prs stock. It loves 77g anything. Killed many pdog past 500 yards with it. And it's downed a fair amount of yotes to. Wouldn't give mine up for double the price.