• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AIAE Mark III 20" 308Win

blurry6

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
WA, USA
Hey Gang!

Just wanted to share a couple pics of my new AIAE Mark III w/20" BBL. I don't know why I waited so long and built so many custom Rem 700 rigs 'til I purchased one of these - it's fantastic! I love the 3-lug action - it's smooth as silk and doesn't clink n' clang like a rattle-can when cycling. The 2-stage trigger is as good as any of the CG-Jackson triggers I've put on other rifles and it seems to like pretty much anything I put through it.

AIAE_Kenmore_RightSide.jpg

Here it is at Kenmore Gun Range in beautiful Western WA,... kind of a drizzly day, but that's par for the course this time of year.

AIAE_Kenmore_Target_Range.jpg

Here's Range 1 at Kenmore. I was shooting at 100 & 300 yards - see the circles
smile.gif

AIAE_Kenmore_LeftSide.jpg

Here's the left side.

AIAE_Kenmore_100Yard_Target_OnTarget.jpg

My first group of the day at 100-yards,... Note the low cold-bore shot,... This was one-and-only as far as groups went at 100 today,...

AIAE_Kenmore_300Yard_Target_OnTarget.jpg

This was the best 300-yard group of the day,... the winds were a little switchy with sudden gusts followed by a few seconds of dead-calm,... this is a tricky range in that regard,... but I'm pretty happy with this load albeit quite tame: 43.0gr Varget; 175gr SMK; Lapua Palma brass,... Out of this 20" barrel I figure it's shooting approximately 2500 fps... not a screamer, but it shoots.

I have a suppressor on order for it, but with ATF's current backlog I hear I shouldn't expect to see it 'til 2014
frown.gif
Oh well. Thanks for checking it out!

Ryan

Re: New AIAE Mark III 20" 308Win

Nice rig. And a shooter. I'm jealous

The ATF's backlog isn't that bad. Even if you've not even started your paperwork you should still be able to get it within 2013. Check out http://www.nfatracker.com.

Nice looking rig. I'd love to get a chance to try one of these!

~Brett

Do you know what the thread pitch is under the stock brake? I'm assuming/hoping that its a standard 5/8-24...?

~Brett

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgvt4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rig. And a shooter. I'm jealous </div></div>

Me too. I'd love to have one of those.

I know all AIs look the same, but my jaw still drops every time I see one. That Leupy looks great, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know what the thread pitch is under the stock brake? I'm assuming/hoping that its a standard 5/8-24...?

~Brett</div></div>

It's M18x1.5 - being from England they're partial to metric.

I know that range well, lived 400 yards away from it for years. Let me know if you ever want to take that AI out of the stable and let it run a little, we have a place up north of Burlington we can shoot out to 750, 900, 1300 and 1950 yards.

Kirk R

AI brakes are metric threads, but it's not a big deal to have them turned down or have the threads on your can opened up...

Welcome to the AI family! If your can is already sorted out, the next step is to have Benchmark cut you a barrel in. 260 or, 243. Mine's a laser!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ATF's backlog isn't that bad. Even if you've not even started your paperwork you should still be able to get it within 2013. Check out http://www.nfatracker.com.

Nice looking rig. I'd love to get a chance to try one of these!

~Brett</div></div>

That's encouraging! Thanks for the link! I just hope the mfg. will get it to my dealer in a timely manner,... I'm still waiting for that right now. It's been three weeks and from what they guestimate it will be three more 'til they receive it,... we'll see. Thanks!

Ry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI brakes are metric threads, but it's not a big deal to have them turned down or have the threads on your can opened up...

Welcome to the AI family! If your can is already sorted out, the next step is to have Benchmark cut you a barrel in. 260 or, 243. Mine's a laser! </div></div>

Thanks! Yeah, I love it! I'm now thoroughly spoiled. Oh yeah, I chatted with Ron about doing a barrel for it. I have a 260 on a Rem action (HATE that action) and it shoots lights out (see pic), but I'm leaning toward a super-flat 243. Not a lot of barrel life, but that's OK.

260REM_43grH4350_139Lapua_MEASURED.jpg

Gotta love Benchmark's barrels!

Ry

It's only AI that use 18x1.5 most UK rifle builders use 18x1 or in fact the 5/8x24. I will be ordering my AX without the brake so I can run my 18x1 Jet-z can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that range well, lived 400 yards away from it for years. Let me know if you ever want to take that AI out of the stable and let it run a little, we have a place up north of Burlington we can shoot out to 750, 900, 1300 and 1950 yards.

Kirk R</div></div>

That would be great! I'd love to do that! Let me know the next time you plan on going, I'll pack 'er up and meet you there. I'll even stop by Frost Donuts and bring a box of their bacon maple bars - YUM!

Ry

Man thats LAME! Silencershop.com got my TBAC 30P-1 to my FFL in just under 3 weeks from when I placed the order. I got the paperwork off just a few days ago. USPS just showed that my paperwork has been signed for. Now I'm waiting for the $200 check to clear.

~Brett

Too bad on the Metric threads but its what I expected.... I could probably get a thread adapter as my other rifle is already in 5/8-24 and my suppressor is already 5/8-24... I just went with that because that was in stock...
wink.gif
Otherwise the wait would have been MUCH longer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blurry6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's encouraging! Thanks for the link! I just hope the mfg. will get it to my dealer in a timely manner,... I'm still waiting for that right now. It's been three weeks and from what they guestimate it will be three more 'til they receive it,... we'll see. Thanks!

Ry</div></div>

Nice rifle. Very Nice. Please keep us updated on the cold bore shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad on the Metric threads but its what I expected.... I could probably get a thread adapter as my other rifle is already in 5/8-24 and my suppressor is already 5/8-24... I just went with that because that was in stock...
wink.gif
Otherwise the wait would have been MUCH longer!</div></div>

It's OK,... a bit aggravating, but I'll wait. I ordered up an AAC Mk13-SD with the 90T ratchet mount. It'll mount to their fast-attach muzzle brake that you can get in 5/8-24TPI, M18x1.5, or M18x1,... so I should be covered across the various rifles I want to put this on. I got a chance to handle one of these at the range one day and it's crazy light,... I can't wait!... but I will
frown.gif

Ry

yeah I waited 7 months for the 6.5mm brevis that I just got couple weeks ago. Nice rig, 243 is a great cartridge do it!

Speaking of .243... took mine out to confirm zero today

2012-11-04_10-14-26_870.jpg

At the local gravel pit

2012-11-04_10-14-08_510.jpg

I would have shown off my target, but some weirdos showed up to do mag dumps with their Saiga, so I just left it and bid them good day

Hah! Good thinkin',... First Rule of Shooting in the Boonies: "Don't mess with the guys with a Saiga"
smile.gif

I'm likin' the Viper Skins on your rig,... Real nice. I have a set on my 260 and LOVE them. I'm thinking of getting a set for this rig. Also considering the 2.0 rear skins,... they look a little more user friendly - Check 'em out and let me know what you think. I figure, $60.00,... worth a try.

Also, you gotta be loving the Benchmark barrel (the muzzle-brake is the tip-off). That thing must kick like a lamb with that brake on there! Sweet!

You have my ultimate setup: AI action, Benchmark Barrel, Viper Skins,... I'd only add the Titanium Suppressor I have on order,...
wink.gif

Ryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Victor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting with that AIAE. Looks awesome!</div></div>

Hah! Thanks Mike! I'd never suggest that your post was pressure to buy ANOTHER set of viper skins,... but is it? Not that you need to pressure me, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order some. Will the AICS skins fit the AIAE Mark III folder chassis? I tried to put the AICS skins I had on them, but a few of the holes didn't line up. Let me know.

Ryan