• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

new and need help

army46

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
OCONUS
Iv been looking around at different long range rifles for a while now. I can say I'm not the best long range shooter to begin with but have always enjoyed the challenge. I have recently been talked into doing just for kicks competions with distances from 400m to possibly in the next couple months 900m with some of my buddies. Iv have wanted a M1A for a very long time but have never had the means, and I am still kinda hesitant to buy a $1600 gun then still have to purchase optics.
My question is what is a accurate semi auto long range rifle I can pick up for around $1000 that will compete with my friends. Also what optics would go well with that firearm that would keep me in that under $2000 mark.
I would appreciate any useful info to make me not feel so foreign on this topic. And again sorry in advance if I ask stupid questions.

Re: new and need help

Buy once cry once.. Truer words were never spoken.
If you want an M1A then I say you get an M1A. I also think you could find one for less than $1600 if you looked around a little on the inter-web.
I am rather new at this myself so take this with a grain of salt. If accuracy and budget are your concerns then you might be well off to buy split lower/upper to avoid the excise tax on a full rifle and have a local gunsmith assemble it for you? That being said there are many respected manufacturers that have entry level 308's in that price range DPMS, Armalite, Rock River Arms being a few that I have looked at myself. I personally went with a Noveske N6 and sometimes I go into my room just to touch it lovingly.. Optics are a whole other beast. Nightforce are very popular but out of the price range you were talking. I would recommend looking at the optics thread you will see whats popular on there and you can also find some smokin deals right here on optics and guns if you look around the forum. I hope I was of some help. Welcome and good luck!!

I am of limited experience as well but can offer some advice. If you want to spend a $1000 on glass, do yourself a favor and buy a good Larue one piece mount, and I would look at a Zeiss Conquest with target knobs in MOA, and learn how to do the math and use the scope properly. It may be a tick over that but great for the money. As far as the rifle, I agree with the above, pay once for what you want, you won't regret it.

for that price range a rock river LAR-8 would be a good gun and a good scope to keep you in your budget would be the Weaver tactical rifle scope 3X15 mil-mil first focal for $750