• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Athlon Cronus

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
I assume with places like CLNY selling off the current gen Cronus BTR that there will be a new one coming out early next year. Does anyone have an update on them?

Locking windage, different mag range, reticles, 30 mm tube etc?

I emailed them last week and they insinuated that there may be either a 3-15 or 3-18 in the future with a locking or capped windage.

did they say if there would be any upgrades to the 4.5-29?

I really enjoy mine and would upgrade if the new model had locking windage. A little bit lighter would be an even bigger bonus

Reactions: basshusker
I didn't ask. I would assume something interesting will happen at SHOT. I'm all over a 3-18 Cronus with capped windage.
giphy (6).gif

Reactions: YotaEer
Looks like intel will be out on October 1st

I'm guessing the basic design will be very similar to the current version?
Hopefully this means a lower mag version of the Delta Stryker, Trijicon Tenmile and a new lower power Tract Toric will be on the cards also.

I emailed them last week and they insinuated that there may be either a 3-15 or 3-18 in the future with a locking or capped windage.
I was just saying to myself last night, sure not a lot of 3x-15 scopes out now. Once Bushnell canned the 3-12 I think it's basically Burris/Steiner in that quality.

It's been my 1st of October for 20.5 hours, still waiting for this big announcement.....

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Not sure I'd trade any of several Cronus BTRs for anything 'new & improved'. I really like them on my V-22s & a RimX. Also have three of the pre-BTRs with the heavier reticles on a 40XB 22RF repeater, Bighorn TL2-SA in 260 Improved 30*, and custom M700 in 7-08 Improved 30*. The newest one on the RimX has the floating dot reticle, and has more distinct clicks/detents on turret knobs...makes me wonder whether they changed something there, or just wiped some of the heavy silicone grease off the O-rings...

I’m an Athlon fan and no scope engine but wish they would adjust the reticle on their lower magnification scopes.

my ares btr 2.5x15 displays about 20mils across the horizontal crosshair at max magnification. Renders the reticle useless at 10x or below.

I wish they would show about 12 or 14 mils at max magnification like the higher magnification scopes so the reticle was usable on a wider range of magnification. Could this be done without sacrificing FOV?

I’m an Athlon fan and no scope engine but wish they would adjust the reticle on their lower magnification scopes.

my ares btr 2.5x15 displays about 20mils across the horizontal crosshair at max magnification. Renders the reticle useless at 10x or below.

I wish they would show about 12 or 14 mils at max magnification like the higher magnification scopes so the reticle was usable on a wider range of magnification. Could this be done without sacrificing FOV?
In order for it to show 12 mils across, you need more magnification or a smaller image.

If you want a more usable reticle below 10x, the reticle needs to be physically larger obscuring more of your target.

Reactions: spife7980
Either get a SFP scope or hope they make a thicker reticle in the 2.5-15's and 4-16's. In my mind it's assumed guys buying this mag range of scope are using these for crossover "hunting" scopes, so IMHO using thicker reticles was necessary to begin with!

Nobody is going to miss because a reticle is .02 mil thicker and they can't/aren't capable of shooting less than that .02 mil difference either.

I always thought that obscuring thing was BS anyway, it never hindered me when I was winning matches.

Everything is a compromise so it makes sense a FFP mid magnification scope would use a thicker reticle to accommodate those that'll be using it in the lower magnifications more often than the 6-24's 5-25's, etc.

The 2.5-15 does use a thicker reticle than the 4.5-27. Almost twice as thick. The problem is trying to use the .2mil reticle spacing when you dial down the magnification. That wasn't how it was designed nor is it necessary in any practical situation.

At min magnification, use it like duplex. Above 4, the 1 mil spacing is easily visible. Above 10, use the .2mil.

The 2.5-15 does use a thicker reticle than the 4.5-27. Almost twice as thick. The problem is trying to use the .2mil reticle spacing when you dial down the magnification. That wasn't how it was designed nor is it necessary in any practical situation.

At min magnification, use it like duplex. Above 4, the 1 mil spacing is easily visible. Above 10, use the .2mil.

Yes I forgot that about the 2.5-15, but the Midas TAC 4-16 is way to thin for me too see on low mag, even as a Duplex it's hard to see.