• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos New Badger M2008 Rifle

[email protected]

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Mansfield, TX
I want to thank Clay and everyone at Cactus Weapons Systems on a job well done!

Cactus Weapons Systems
.308 Caliber
Badger Ordnance M2008 Action
Broughton Barrel 5C 24" 6 Flute MTU Contour 1-10 Twist
Ops Inc Brake
Shilen Trigger
AICS 2.0
Badger Ordnance Rings Medium
NightForce NXS 12-42x56 Scope

Re: New Badger M2008 Rifle

Who did the paint work on your stock? That is big time SICK! I always love to be original, but My AI is begging for that paint scheme!

Nicely done, you should be proud!

Looks great. I had been wondering what a pattern like that would look like with a black barrel...and then you posted this. Looks really good.

The paint was done by Cactus Weapons Systems. They are revamping there site right now according to Clay. I think the snakeskin or net style camo jobs are pretty much a signature for them. I sent them a ton of info to make sure the colors were what I wanted. They hit the color and pattern I was looking for perfectly.

Looks just like mine
wink.gif
....the camo pattern, how long did it take them to get yours done?

Hey Ed,
I saw your pics from Cactus I know that table all to well LOL! Nice stick! They started my build back in October and I received it last Friday. They thought they would have it ready by Christmas but didn't make it. Clay is a nice guy and is very helpful. They could work on customer to builder/painter communication a little more though. I was told they would call me before painting. Luckily I sent in a ton of pictures to show exactly what I wanted. But in all fairness its still a lot of work and 5 months isn't bad! They did a great job and its exactly what I asked for. The rifle is a serious shooter! I cant wait to see what it will do with precise handloads. Im in the middle of replacing the 3x 10mm spacers with a single custom 50mm butt plate spacer to get the length of pull correct for me. I also still need to test fire the vertical tracking of the scope as well. Ill post groups after my next time out with it.

They actually started mine back in April and I should be getting mine this week sometime...hopefully and then I can get it out to the range this sunday!!!

Can't wait to see it with the scope and bipod on it, they had some kinda issues with the Seekins rings and have to order new ones and ship them to me, they are sending a lender Larue mount...

Wow since April? Why so long? I know my build went quicker due to them having the exact barrel I was looking for and the AICS 2.0 in house. Plus my action from Badger arrived 5 days after ordered which knocks off the time it takes to accurize a Remmy action. They forgot to ship my thread protector and five round mag. Im supposed to get them this week. I also have to send Clay back his pelican case. Matter of fact tell Clay not to ship your rifle like mine. It was thrown in the case with now mid foam so it just banged around on the way here. Glad I didnt have a scope with it! Luckily all it did was put a nick in the paint on the top of my brake, everything else was ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Letmeshootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Wow since April? Why so long? I know my build went quicker due to them having the exact barrel I was looking for and the AICS 2.0 in house. Plus my action from Badger arrived 5 days after ordered which knocks off the time it takes to accurize a Remmy action. They forgot to ship my thread protector and five round mag. Im supposed to get them this week. I also have to send Clay back his pelican case. Matter of fact tell Clay not to ship your rifle like mine. It was thrown in the case with now mid foam so it just banged around on the way here. Glad I didnt have a scope with it! Luckily all it did was put a nick in the paint on the top of my brake, everything else was ok. </div></div>

I know they said they had to order a few things like the BO DBM and the Seekins Base and Rings, but not really sure why it took that long....maybe it was just those parts holding it up. I actually bought and had a Starlight case shipped to them so hopefully it'll be ok with my glass on, I should find out this week...

Nope, haven't heard anything in 2 weeks and i'm pretty pissed right now...

And now certain loans are in need of needing to be paid off quickly, i'm more than likely gonna need to sell the rifle as soon as I get it!!!

I swear, when it rains, it F'n pours!!!!

Yeah I don't want to flame anyone yet but my rifle is going back! WRONG BARREL!

I was all excited about it getting in and went to the range and shot 60 rounds through it. I couldn't really tell how good it could shoot because the LOP was wrong for me and the trigger was slam firing. During the week I machined a new one piece spacer to fix the LOP problem. I was busy all week so the next weekend I sat down to fix the trigger before going back out. After going through the Shilen trigger and getting it adjusted properly. I noticed my muzzle brake sure was a lot larger than the muzzle with a lot of taper to the barrel. I guess with all the excitement and being focused on setup I didn't pay attention to it before. I knew the muzzle brake I had was a .970 OD, and the barrel contour I selected (MTU 24") should fit almost flush with brake. So I thought that contour can't be right. MTU contour should be 1.250" OD at the breech, extend straight for 2.75" and then straight taper to .930" OD @ 26" of length. Which at 24" should put it just a few thousands of an inch under .970. So I got the calipers and it measured 1.200 at the breech, extends for 2.00" and tapers to .910 just before the brake! I thought that isn't what I wanted I wonder if its the right rifling type?
I specified a Bartlien 5R 24" MTU Contour, Fluted, 1-10 twist barrel originally. They said they had a Broughton 5C in stock with that exact contour, fluting, and twist. So instead of waiting we agreed on the Broughton instead. So I check the rifling and what do I find 6 lands and 6 grooves! WTF I was sooo pissed now! I called every number
I had cells of everyone, and finally reached someone at the shop. Come to find out the barrel with my name on it is still sitting in the shop. They told me to get it packed up and Clay would call me on Monday.

So I went shooting to blow of the steam! LOL Guess what? First group I shoot is probably the best 5 round group of my life. With the wrong barrel! I didn't measure it but all the guys around me were like shit thats a good group is that 3? Oh 5 dam! It was one clean hole! Figures doesn't it?

So I talked to Clay the following Tuesday and come to find out the barrel I got was a Lothar Walther he was saving for his rifle that was originally hand selected for some military tests. He seemed to want it back and to fix the mix up. I told him I still wanted what I originally specified and would be sending it back in. He said the wait time would be 4 to 6 weeks! Great! I just hope my barrel shoots as good as this one!

I think Cactus Weapons can build some incredible quality rifles. They just need to get their customer/communication and organization together. I will keep you updated as things go. Please let me know how your build goes as well.

Robert

Super nice rifle. I have 3 built by CWS and my two Magnums and my 308 all shoot one ragged hole. I went with Lothar barrels on all of them and they are outstanding. I'm not sure what happened on your rifle barrel situation but truthfully you are not going to get a better barrel than what you already have. I guess you should get what you spec'ed your rifle as and what you paid for. Good luck and I'm sure when you get it back the barrel might be a little heavier but it will not shoot any better than it already does. As for CWS and the customer support keep in mind that they are run by a small group of extremely talented guys who also have other things that they do for a living.

CWSShooter,

I agree with you completely they are extremely talented and build top notch rifles no doubt about that! They do other things for a living and very important roles at that. I do expect to get what I specd out and paid for though in any business regardless of the situation. They have got some new help in now it seems and communication is much improved. Just to be clear despite the mix up CWS and Clay especially have been very helpful and taken a lot of time to work with me and answer any questions I had. Im sure they will correct the mix up and that it will shoot equally well. I would have them build for me again and would recommend them to anyone in the market for a great custom rifle!

That's a terrible mix up, they should let you keep the barrel they sent you. That is some shitty customer service. If that were my experience I'd never buy from them again.