• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New barrel thoughts for my AR

sovereign08

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2014
Paso Robles, CA
I think the time has come to rebarrel my semi auto. She shoots great out to about 600yards with 62gr m855 and the 69gr SMK I'm loading, but it just has too much drop and inconsistency at 700+. The 77gr is a bit heavy for my 1:9. Set up is currently a 20" non chrome lined heavy barrel from Anderson with a rifle length gas system and buffer. I'm leaning towards a 1:8/1:8.5 in barrel roughly 20", but may go a bit longer to ensure I get a complete burn of my powder. Prolly going to stick with non chrome lined cold hammer forged. Krieger, JP super match, noveske, and shilen are my current considerations. Strictly a bench rifle, so weight doesn't matter, and I'm curious to hear what options you guys have tried with good success out at extreme ranges for a traditional ar15 platform. Considering the chamber in .223 wylde vs 5.56. All opinions welcome!

-Tony

Compass Lake Engineering! They offer several stainless and chromoly barrels. They have many contours to chose from, but I use the traditional SPR profile. I always add the M4 feed ramps, get an AMU chamber (similar .223 Wylde), and have the bolt matched. 1:8 is the way to go IMHO. Check out their site. Remember to true your receiver if you've not done so. Good luck and have fun!

Since this is strictly a bench gun, i'd go as long as possible, 24", rifle length, 1:8 or 1:7 in a Wylde chamber.

I recommend white oak armament, Lilja, Krieger or Satern as top choices.

+1 for WOA.

I have the 16" WOA SS Match 1:7 on my precision AR with Young bcg and it shoots lights out. Sub .50" at 100.

+3 for WOA.

My 18" fluted varmint shoots minus 1/2" at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 20
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 19
Match Grade 24" barrel, in various twists and chambers, with fitted bolt and barrel extension from L-W.

Greg

The matched bolt is going to be a must. WOA has been a light consideration, but I haven't known anyone with one personally. Tickled pink that is what I'm looking for at 100yds to give me the consistency to know wind is moving my round when it gets out there versus inferior hardware. What powder and bullet you shooting to get those results? And how far into the lands does your WOA like the bullet? I'll look into the compass lake engineering. Thanks for the responses guys! Anyone have groups of a WOA barrel at 2 or 300 yds?

-Tony

My WOA shoots sub .50" @ 100 with Hornady 5.56 75gr Superformance and Norma 77gr SMK.

Im just getting ready to start load development with 77smk/Varget to test between 200-700 in 2 weeks.

Padom keep me posted on your results at 700. I'm debating on the Berger vld over sierras right now. Their 175gr is so much better than the 175gr SMK at 800yards it's stupid. Don't know good they will be in .223 but with my .308 I get more consistency and far less drop. Using IMR 4895 with I believe the federal 205 (need to double check what I stuck with) primers in winchester brass neck sized only.

-Tony

sovereign08,

From what I understand the chamber in my WOA varmint barrel is designed to have a shorter "jump" to the lands than other standard chambers which they think increases accuracy with ammunition loaded to magazine length. I would imagine that the chamber could be made short enough so the bullets would be jammed into the lands when the round is chambered. This could cause a problem if the bullet is jammed and not fired and when the unfired round is ejected the projectile could be left in the barrel and the casing and powder spills out when ejected. I would think that in a bolt action rifle there is less force when chambering a round then with a semi-auto.

The bullets that made the 5 shot group at 100 yds were just my hunting loads ( Sierra 65 gr. Game Kings ) I used last year with the original 16" Colt upper for deer hunting. I shot them to sight in my scope before I shot Sierra 69 gr. Match Kings which grouped smaller. I use Varget plus CCI BR4 primers with new Winchester brass.

Last edited:
Padom keep me posted on your results at 700. I'm debating on the Berger vld over sierras right now. Their 175gr is so much better than the 175gr SMK at 800yards it's stupid. Don't know good they will be in .223 but with my .308 I get more consistency and far less drop. Using IMR 4895 with I believe the federal 205 (need to double check what I stuck with) primers in winchester brass neck sized only.

-Tony

Will do. I have 2 .308 loads worked up for my AR10 that are shooting right around .43" at 100 yds but I favor the Amax.

178amax
1xFC Brass FL sized
43.8gr 4064
CCI BR2 primers
COAL 2.8020

175smk
1xHornady Match Brass FL sized
44.1gr Varget
CCI BR2 Primers
COAL 2.8050

I've been impressed with Compass Lake and WOA.
I've shot a fair bit with a WOA 1/7 stainless fluted SPR contour.
The WOA shot Federal XM855 or whatever the brown box 62 grain is called way tighter than I though possible with inexpensive ball ammo.
With my friends handloads and 75 Hornady's I was pounding an 11" plate at 700+ yards with ease.

My CLE is a Bartlein 7.7 and shoots under 1/2 minute with 75 Hornady's and I've never seen a need to feed it anything else.

I also was surprised with how my WOA shot the XM855 62gr ammo. I picked up a case of PMC X-Tac 62gr and it shot sub .50" at 50yds and around 1" at 100. Was very surprised with its accuracy for low cost plinking ammo.

Have you considered a precision cut rifled barrel from hawk hill customs? Check them out! They build high quality barrels that shoot and come with an accuracy guarantee. You don't see competitors offering the same!

My absolute favorite are cut rifle barrels and I've had amazing results with my 6.5G AR, 20" heavy Satern barrel. I have two more on order with them (they take over a year on an order, so be prepared). I get (no shit) .33MOA with the right ammo consistently with this rifle. It's amazing and I've never had a rifle, bolt or otherwise, that's this accurate. Lots of folks swear by Satern cut rifle barrels (hence the wait time) so they must be doing something right.

With the AR, it's ALL in the barrel, so regardless of however you build it, provided you can wield it, the accuracy it provides will rest nearly 99% in the barrel. So pick a good one. And if you get a Satern, you may want to get another, decent barrel for the meantime.

There's lots of good barrel makers, but cut rifled are my favorites and Satern my #1. For accuracy, for nice rifles. For a basic M4 build, I like Noveske if I can find 'em on sale or just a simple LMT upper.

Another vote for WOA. My 16" rings steel at 60yrds with ease using 77gr SMK hand loads. I also have a 20" DMR WOA that I very happy with too. Check out their site. They make all sorts of barrels.

Another vote for WOA. My 16" rings steel at 60yrds with ease using 77gr SMK hand loads. I also have a 20" DMR WOA that I very happy with too. Check out their site. They make all sorts of barrels.
I hope you mean 600yds and not 60yds?

I hope you mean 600yds and not 60yds?

Lol we'll it would work for 3gun.

A lot of good options here guys. Glad to hear some names I'm not as familiar with In the ar platform. I'll look into the satern for my 6.5 upper I'm planning for next year. I'm not bothering with it until I have become satisfied with the farthest I can reach with my standard .223 chamber, but with that lead time I guess it couldn't hurt to do it now.

-Tony

Have you considered a precision cut rifled barrel from hawk hill customs? Check them out! They build high quality barrels that shoot and come with an accuracy guarantee. You don't see competitors offering the same!

And if these guys come close to the ballpark price of an off the shelf barrel I will put that under consideration.

-Tony

So WOA had an SPR 20" in 1:8 that they don't normally stock, was made and never purchased, so I'm scooping it up. They even do a headspaced bolt face for an extra 55$ :) I'll keep you guys posted on my results with it. Thanks for all the info guys.

-Tony

Another for WOA. I have a 26" 1:8 fluted barrel upper I purchased from them. Running 77smk in LC12 brass with 25.4gr 2000MR powder, (2845fps magnetospeed), BR4, 1.875" ogive it shot .4 moa at 100 yds in my OCW testing. Have not got to additional testing to vary round length yet.

jsesurplus.com has 24" Wilson barrels. They are 1/8 twist 556 wylde chamber. IIRC Wilson makes the RRA barrels. RRA sells the 24" gun with a 1 MOA guarantee. My wilson does this easily and so do the few that I've seen buddies build. At 205 for a barrel it's a steal.

I run a Noveske 18" SPR barrel, stainless steel and sub moa to 800m (not pushed beyond yet)

I'm running black hills 77gr otm 5.56 (mk262). I've not had any issue with it at all.

Last edited:
I've got a Noveske 18" SPR barrel too. It will shoot slightly less than .5 MOA out to 450 (can't shoot farther than that near me). It is heavy for what I built the rifle for (3gun), but it is great for an all purpose gun, and not a lot of barrels will out shoot it no matter how much heavier. I'm shooting my reloads with 69gr Sierra match kings. I but an "unmatched" Young Manufacturing bolt and light weight bolt carrier in it. Works great. Took my buck with it last year 75 yards - minute of lung. Haha : )