• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Barrett MRAD ELR?

I'm getting one for ELR (my interpretation) but I would assume that setting it up to be reliable with 50BMG and 416 would require significant upgrades bringing the weight up substantially and severely limiting its ability to be carried. At least if my M82 is any indication of what is needed to reliably handle 50BMG. I think those changes would really take away from the appeal of using it in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor configurations. Im buying mine in 338 Lapua with the 24" 308 conversion. I imagine that accommodating 30 cal to 50 cal would also dramatically reduce the ease and simplicity of caliber changes.

My best guess is that it will be designed for the 338 Enabler and 33XC. The frame looks like the same diameter, but longer. The current bolt head does not have enough meat to open it up to .50BMG. In short, it will be a longer MRAD.

Reactions: thedude824
My best guess is that it will be designed for the 338 Enabler and 33XC. The frame looks like the same diameter, but longer. The current bolt head does not have enough meat to open it up to .50BMG. In short, it will be a longer MRAD.
I think the King of 2 Mile runner up was using this in .416 Barrett.

Please share. I was hoping for the ax50 elr to come out in something sub 50bmg. If barrett did, I might finally have a reason to get a MRAD.

Reactions: 232593
Cost was $7,500? And only listed in fixed stock 416Barrett.
I just spoke with Barrett Customer Service and they said the site is undergoing changes as I type - "regular" full-sized product page pops up for a micro second and then the "Interim" page appears. Nothing to report on the MRADELR other than the rep said what has been said from the beginning, "announcement - possibly at SHOT Show".

The "interim" format for all but the 82A1 is a thin vertical presentation with much reduced info and images - looks like dung, compared . A LOT of programming for an "interim" page, has me concerned. [Just compare the 82A1 page to any of the others.] The interim M99 page shows no .416 Barrett option but the rep said, thankfully, that has not gone away.

Last edited:
I bet the zebra rifle had the best barrel and ammo used in their preproduction beta testing as well as probably other internal mods that will not be in the production version.

Would suck to pay $7500 for a 2 moa ELR rifle.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
You are correct steve123. I got a Cadex Shadow with the 1-7 twist 32in factory barrel and it was .650 avg at 100 and .722 at 500 yards out of the box after break-in I would hate to get one need to swap out the barrel right away.

Reactions: steve123
I'd put that Cadex(a factory custom) a few steps higher, like up there with a AI or a full custom, rather than a paralleling a "stock" Barret, but I could be wrong.

I'm getting one for ELR (my interpretation) but I would assume that setting it up to be reliable with 50BMG and 416 would require significant upgrades bringing the weight up substantially and severely limiting its ability to be carried. At least if my M82 is any indication of what is needed to reliably handle 50BMG. I think those changes would really take away from the appeal of using it in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor configurations. Im buying mine in 338 Lapua with the 24" 308 conversion. I imagine that accommodating 30 cal to 50 cal would also dramatically reduce the ease and simplicity of caliber changes.
It definitely appears to be 2 separate platforms. It would be super difficult to design a rifle system that could accommodate 30cal to 50 cal. Bolt magazine etc. Easier to offer a newer rifle for the larger calibers.

Ive been watching this also, i was ready to pull the trigger on an mrad a few weeks ago but decided to hold out til december. When you compare the pictures to the current mrad, the bolt holes seem close enough for me to guess itll take smaller barrels also. They would just need some longer magazines. Or an insert in the magwell. Looks interesting reguardless!

From what I can tell they took the 416 barrel from the Model 99 and are using that. If you look on Barrett's site for Justin Wolf in the winning picture, you can see a 416 he is holding. It has and MRAD magazine, and MRAD upper look too, but there are 4 barrel screws for the 416 barrel (guessing the 32" from the Model 99). With that interested to see if it will still be modular for the .30 stuff or if this is just a ELR model they are now replacing the Model 99 and possibly 95 with.

I bet the zebra rifle had the best barrel and ammo used in their preproduction beta testing as well as probably other internal mods that will not be in the production version.

Zebra rifle......zebra.........fucking zebra!? Ughh!!!!

It's not a damn zebra....not even close. It's homage to the dazzle camo's of WW2 naval vessels.....homo.

You're not getting a Christmas card from me for that.

Branden

Notwithstanding that all the info pops tomorrow, 12/1, here's what I can find as of 1227, Pacific, 30 Nov:

Item, SKU, (UPC)

Rifle, 416B, black – 18953 (810021511689)

Rifle, 416B, fde – 19612 (810021511672)

Barrett also listed a “Tungsten Grey” rifle version – found nothing for it

Barrel maker kit, 416B, (color?) – 19552 (810021511719)

Barrel maker kit, 416B, (color?) – 19660 (810021511757)

Barrel maker kit, 375 EnABELR, (color?) – 19436 (810021511726)

Single feed adapter – 19592 (810021511702)

Mag, 416B – 18897 (810021511733)

Mag, 375 EnABELR – 19211 (810021511740)

"Barrel maker kit" - presumably a new name for a conversion kit.

I know 50BMG isn't known to be a long range performer but I hope they make a SKU for it at some point - especially if MRAD ELR is replacing M95 and M99.

https://barrett.net/products/firearms/mradelr/
1701459239316.png

Wouldn’t touch another Barrett product with a 10 foot pole to be honest. Their idea of “precision” is different then most.
Really? I’m speaking from limited experience. I have a 98B in 300WM and it’s a laser. I have some custom builds that are more accurate but this firearm performs very well. In addition, we have regular competitions where we shoot groups at 500 yds for bragging rights and a little money and a guy with an MRAD wins quite often. Just curious when someone is very opposed to something.

I couldn’t get mine to shoot better than 2 moa. The crown was absolutely terrible. I sent it in and they agreed and recut it. Got it back and it still looked like they cut it with a dull knife. At that point I knew it wasn’t for me and sold it with full discretion. The new owner also couldn’t get it to shoot.

The MradELRs that were at KO2M were the exact same rifles that will be shipped to consumers. All of us that had them did individual load development for each individual rifle and in cooperation with each other discussed performance weekly prior to KO2M.
No special barrels or internals.
My particular rifle has an adjustable bag rider added and an adjustable vertical grip from LSP. along with a custom Accuracy Solutions bipod XT.
Second place at KO2M and a month later I took the first place spot at Poke the Bear in Virginia.
I felt comfortable enough with Barretts new platform to step away from my Vestal built 416 Hellfire that won KO2M 2022, won July Spearpoint 2022, August Spearpoint 2022, Spearpoint season Champion 2022, and Conquer the Castle 2023 . Needless to say the MradELR is a very solid performer straight out of the box.

The MradELRs that were at KO2M were the exact same rifles that will be shipped to consumers. All of us that had them did individual load development for each individual rifle and in cooperation with each other discussed performance weekly prior to KO2M.
No special barrels or internals.
My particular rifle has an adjustable bag rider added and an adjustable vertical grip from LSP. along with a custom Accuracy Solutions bipod XT.
Second place at KO2M and a month later I took the first place spot at Poke the Bear in Virginia.
I felt comfortable enough with Barretts new platform to step away from my Vestal built 416 Hellfire that won KO2M 2022, won July Spearpoint 2022, August Spearpoint 2022, Spearpoint season Champion 2022, and Conquer the Castle 2023 . Needless to say the MradELR is a very solid performer straight out of the box.
Congrats, that's awesome shooting.

Sorry but I can't even imagine a gun company giving a stock rifle to a higher end competitor representing their brand. Honestly it seems unbelievable on its face.

I'm not going to call you a liar because I believe you're telling the truth from your end of it but were you present when the rifle was built or this is what you were told?
I mention this because I've seen it personally where rifles in other shooting sports were given by sponsorship to more accomplished competitors which were tuned for top performance in every way. Rifles that also won major events, and I know for a fact that everything that could be done was done to help ensure success, including specially selected match barrels. This is why I'm skeptical.

I don't keep up with ELR anymore but low SD's, high BC's, not making mistakes, having near perfect dope, and guessing the wind right, seems to be more of a priority than a .5 moa capable rifle, right? Looks like most targets are more than moa but I'm sure still hard to hit given the conditions.

Hey if the gun works that well then fine.
I'm looking forward to getting more reports from other owners on the factory rifles as time goes by.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas

Sorry but I can't even imagine a gun company giving a stock rifle to a higher end competitor representing their brand. Honestly it seems unbelievable on its face.

I'm not going to call you a liar because I believe you're telling the truth from your end of it but were you present when the rifle was built or this is what you were told?
I mention this because I've seen it personally where rifles in other shooting sports were given by sponsorship to more accomplished competitors which were tuned for top performance in every way. Rifles that also won major events, and I know for a fact that everything that could be done was done to help ensure success, including specially selected match berrels. This is why I'm skeptical.

I don't keep up with ELR anymore but low SD's, high BC's, not making mistakes, having near perfect dope, and guessing the wind right, seems to be more of a priority than a .5 moa capable rifle, right? Looks like most targets are more than moa but I'm sure still hard to hit given the conditions.

I'm looking forward to getting more reports from other owners on the factory rifles as time goes by.
When someone says I'm not going to call you a liar it's basically a chickenshit way of calling them a liar.

I bet all 3. That would be smart on their part. Just make the MRAD a little bigger without reinventing the wheel. Look out desert tech. HTIs are going to lose a lot of market share.
Desert Tech has nothing to worry about. Why do I want a gun that is a foot longer and does not have the inherent accuracy because of a 6 inch shank clamp?

And cost twice as much?

And the company is now owned by the Aussies? I love me an Aussie, but I prefer my customer service to remain stateside.

• Love
When someone says I'm not going to call you a liar it's basically a chickenshit way of calling them a liar.
I don't like disrespecting people in that manner, especially a winner like him, and besides he came off in a nice way. The other side of that is exactly how I put it and we all know how companies selling products tend to be with this kind of stuff. He's not selling he's shooting what they give him and saying the info relayed to him.

I'm also not worried about it either way, in kind with posts like yours, no skin off my back. Have a Happy New Year.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Desert Tech has nothing to worry about. Why do I want a gun that is a foot longer and does not have the inherent accuracy because of a 6 inch shank clamp?

And cost twice as much?

And the company is now owned by the Aussies? I love me an Aussie, but I prefer my customer service to remain stateside.
Desert Tech have any mil contracts? Bullpups really struggle with acceptance. As for Barret have any personnel been relocated?

I will say that the MradELR is being built one at a time and every rifle coming out of Barrett is being accuracy tested before it leaves . Those of us that got the rifles in July to test and use prior to KO2M all got exactly what the finished product to consumers will be. The engineers behind the project are extremely proud of what they have produced and very well should be . The biggest concern they have is making sure every MradELR is competitive and reliable out of the box. There were 8 of us outside of Barrett that got the privilege of being part of testing and shooting the new Mrads in competition and they have all proven to be just as accurate and consistent as anticipated.
As far as comments about Australian owned now , the customer service is still straight out of Tennessee, and if you actually check into the new ownership they are one of the biggest defense contractors for 20mm, 30mm and 105 & 155mm ammo for the US DOD along with joint ventures with L3 for laser guided munitions for our armed forces.

No one is raising hell with Hodgdon about most of their powder being imported from Australia and redistributed or the 416hellfire, 416 and 458 Vestal brass from Bertram all being Australian. The Barretts are still being designed built in Tennessee.

Back to the MradELR, the barrels are extremely fast to change out and the return to zero and poi shift is non-existent. Part of my testing of the platform was shooting one mile groups, removing the barrel, reinstalling in the field and shooting another group at a mile , after doing it multiple times the poi stayed within inches at 1761 yards, and it's exactly what they are trying to accomplish for the ELR commumunity. A rifle that will shoot at a competitive level straight out of the box .

And no disrespect taken, anytime anyone sees me at a match I would be more than happy to show you around the rifle.
I don't like disrespecting people in that manner, especially a winner like him, and besides he came off in a nice way. The other side of that is exactly how I put it and we all know how companies selling products tend to be with this kind of stuff. He's not selling he's shooting what they give him and saying the info relayed to him.

I'm also not worried about it either way, in kind with posts like yours, no skin off my back. Have a Happy New Year.

I mention this because I've seen it personally where rifles in other shooting sports were given by sponsorship to more accomplished competitors which were tuned for top performance in every way. Rifles that also won major events, and I know for a fact that everything that could be done was done to help ensure success, including specially selected match barrels. This is why I'm skeptical.

In the limited experience I have working around the gun industry there were plenty of times that actual factory guns were used by factory teams and shooters. It doesn't seem like there's a good reason to lie about it when you are talking about a tiny subset (ELR) of a smaller market (PRS).

With precision oriented guns like this it's not unbelievable to me that factory guns would be used. I don't know anything about ELR but it seems like the ammo and shooter are probably more of a factor than the gun as long as it has a base level of accuracy. Even with factory guns that system can be gamed by cherry picking guns that do well during test firing like weatherby used to do with their MOA guns.

Reactions: steve123