• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New bipod? Rock Creek, GG&G or Harris

Pyroducksx3

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Kitsap Co, WA
Well I'm looking for a bipod for my new 7 mag Rem 700. I had the seekings sling rail mount installed because I wanted the ability to change from my Harris tall bipod to a low bipod easily and quickly in the field, this is a hunting rifle. I like the atlas but too much money. So I'm looking at the rock creek, GG&G or harris s with pod lock. I can't get my hands on the first two but have had Harris and I didn't really like the spring legs. The only thing I've heard on the rock creek is that they're good but difficult to lock out the swivel feature, but I like that you can track with them. I saw the review of these compared on this site but then there was a post at the end that the author said his opinions had changed but didn't say how. Well I would appreciate your opinions/experience thank you

Re: New bipod? Rock Creek, GG&G or Harris

Just picked up a atlas, i love it. ill be putting one on all my rifles now. I would save a bit longer and get a great piece of kit

Haven't shot the Rock Creek but the Harris and GG&G are my favorites.

The Harris is nice because it's easy to repair from parts if you trash it and can be modified to your liking with claws, pod-locs, leg locks, etc.

The GG&G is the best built period. It's precision and stout with virtually no flex when loaded. Downside is that the pivot mechanism is a long way from the bore centerline so if you're not using an anti-cant device and your brain/eyeball leveler is on vacation, the slightest deviation away from level has a big impact on POI. I cured this by disabling the swivel and I just level with the legs.

I've shot several others and they <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> have flaws/quirks...but these 2 are most easily overcome.

I've got a GG&G heavy duty pod on one of my "tactical" bolt guns. It's a fairly heavy rifle which tended to flex a bit on its original Harris. I have Atlas bipods on my ARs and considered one for this rifle. Ultimately I simply thought I'd try something differen so I chose the GG&G. Their heavy duty pod is very well built, easy to deploy, very precise with tilt and pan, and has slightly longer legs than the Atlas (which I found useful for the large bolt gun). The legs deploy conventionally and do not have the 45 degree option that the Atlas has which may be a consideration but was not on this gun. GG&G also have a series of mounting adaptors that allow it to be fitted to almost any platform. It worked out well for this rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

There is one caveat: the heavy duty pod is about as expensive as an Atlas so you'll have to take that into consideration.

To my eye, its the old buy once-cry once. I think the Atlas or the GGG would be the way to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speeddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a GG&G heavy duty pod on one of my "tactical" bolt guns. It's a fairly heavy rifle which tended to flex a bit on its original Harris. I have Atlas bipods on my ARs and considered one for this rifle. Ultimately I simply thought I'd try something differen so I chose the GG&G. Their heavy duty pod is very well built, easy to deploy, very precise with tilt and pan, and has slightly longer legs than the Atlas (which I found useful for the large bolt gun). The legs deploy conventionally and do not have the 45 degree option that the Atlas has which may be a consideration but was not on this gun. GG&G also have a series of mounting adaptors that allow it to be fitted to almost any platform. It worked out well for this rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

There is one caveat: the heavy duty pod is about as expensive as an Atlas so you'll have to take that into consideration.

To my eye, its the old buy once-cry once. I think the Atlas or the GGG would be the way to go

</div></div>

Well said. I have an Atlas set up on my AR10 right now but strongly considered the GG&G. Still might pick one up and move the Atlas to a bolt gun.

I think if you buy from a quality, trusted and proven company, you won't be disappointed; be it AccuShot, GG&G, Harris, Rock Creek, Versa Pod, etc. All have something different to offer and all have their own nuances but in the end, all of them will serve admirably.

That said, I prefer my Atlas on a bolt gun rather than a gas gun. On the AR10, the legs have to be extended a couple notches due to the taller profile and taller magazines. Not a huge issue, but it loses some of it's rigidity and doesn't feel quite as solid. For this purpose, the GG&G may be better suited but YMMV.

I've shot with all three bipods. I like the harris for light weight and quick deployment with simply flipping the legs out. The GG&G is solid and well built, but the height is not quite right for me when shooting prone especially with high angle downhill shots.

But my favorite is the Atlas because of height range, cant, pan and forward/rear leg adjustments is very versatile. My own personal preference, but I like the round rubber foot pads on the atlas better then the harris or GG&G, and find them more durable especially compared to the harris. I've shot off rocky terrain and torn up my harris bipod rubber grips.

MiniBipod.jpg

I have only used the Atlas and Harris. I would say Harris. It is a good bipod for the features that you get and is tried and true. The Atlas definitely has more bells and whistles, and is probably overall better, but you are going to pay more also.

Most of my shooting in the field in prone position will be downhill/uphill shooting so the gg&g (which was my #1) concerns me a little. I really love everything about the atlas but the price holds me back. If I get the Harris or rock I'll be getting one used to keep cost down. The atlas has everything to be sure but the price puts it out of reach for this season ( I got the new gun, scope, seekins rings. NF base, DE cheekrest, kestrel, iPod w/ Fte, Leica RF, redding comp die set) all that stuff really ate the budget. I've all ready spent too much so a 300$ bipod is just not going happen. So I think I'm looking at the rock creek or harris Br with swivel and pod lock, I have to get the Harris adapter so this will make them cost about the same. Thanks for the all the advice

just flip open me butler creeks and view the pics o dakota fanning i have pasted in there, and erect me own expedient rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just flip open me butler creeks and view the pics o dakota fanning i have pasted in there, and erect me own expedient rest. </div></div>

Ok constructive and informative. My newbie questions and restricted budget must be offensive.

I got a rock creek bipod for a really good price so I'll try that and see how I like it, if not Im not out much and I will at least have a bipod for this season. Thanks for the input.

I've used the harris for nearly two decades. I still own every one I ever bought. I've never broken one or missed a shot because of one (usually just miss because of some personal failure).

The familiarity allows me to operate them without much thought, even in complete darkness on occasion.

I'm sure Rock Creek is excellent, as are others but i like vanilla ice cream.