• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New blue LED from USO

ssgtkyle

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Brea, CA
Hi guys,

Here is a picture of the new blue LED that we are now offering. Thanks to the Marines from 1/5 STA for the idea.

399412788.jpg

Jason

Re: New blue LED from USO

Pretty crazy looking. Is there an advantage for blue over red ?

I continue to like green the best - although I only have experience with green and red, never seen a blue lit. Yeah, what is advantage over the two other colors?

Guys this concept was thought of by some scout snipers. This is the feedback we got back from them when they returned from Afghanistan.

- The blue LED gives off less of a signature.
- Do not lose the reticle when looking at different backgrounds.
- Less eye fatigue when glassing for long periods of time.
- Works great with night vision.

Jason

In terms of higher frequency blue>green>red so you should be able to keep it at a lower setting then red or green and still see it at low light conditions. In bright light the same applies, it will resist washing out more then the other colors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In terms of higher frequency blue>green>red so you should be able to keep it at a lower setting then red or green and still see it at low light conditions. In bright light the same applies, it will resist washing out more then the other colors.</div></div>

The fact that photons of blue light are of higher frequency than green or red and therefore contain more energy per photon is not the determining factor in the perceived visibility of the illumination. X-rays have more energy still and you don't see them at all.

The most important factor is the relative sensitivity of the human eye to light of varying wavelengths. The human eye senses color using three main pigments. Two of these have a peak response very near each other in the green yellow area of the spectrum. Neon green seems to best compromise between these two pigments. This is considered the highest peak in the color response of the eye. The third pigment is significantly separated from the other two in the blue portion of the spectrum. This blue illumination should play nicely for that pigment.

Bottom line. If you want the most optical response for your lumens a yellow/green light is probably best with a blue second best. Red is really the worst you could do as eyes have very low sensitivity to it.

article on light response in the human eye

For what it is worth I find the idea of blue illumination interesting. No one that eye know of has tried it before. That, combined with the fact that it utilizes a different response pigment than the more typical illumination colors intrigues me.

Doesn't blue mean sleepy or relaxed when dealing with color psychology? Maybe that is our boys saying they need a break!
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

Anyhow what I think needs to happen is the ability to change the illumination color to whatever the op wants. At the very least it could lessen the boredom that comes with long periods of glassing.

It is really nice to see US Optics doing whatever it takes to make the war-fighter happy.

Will USO be at the SAR show in Phx next month? With one of these models on display? Eye think this blue illumination looks interesting and eye would like to take a look through one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't blue mean sleepy or relaxed when dealing with color psychology? Maybe that is our boys saying they need a break!
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

Anyhow what I think needs to happen is the ability to change the illumination color to whatever the op wants. At the very least it could lessen the boredom that comes with long periods of glassing.

It is really nice to see US Optics doing whatever it takes to make the war-fighter happy.

</div></div>

I agree franky. that reticle sure looks busy though..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will USO be at the SAR show in Phx next month? With one of these models on display? Eye think this blue illumination looks interesting and eye would like to take a look through one. </div></div>

We will try to remember to bring one so you can check it out.
John III

Awww snaps... I know what my next USO will have.

Awesome job to everyone at USO. Lots of respect for companies that listen to real users and match their needs.

I raise my BS Flag. I requested BLUE way back in OEF VII because it is easier on the eyes at night...and told JBW as much back then. I also requested blue on my SN4 that was a replacement for my injured veteran scope but could only pick between green and red. It is not a new idea that just happened. The discussion of blue, red, and green color wave lengths etc has been one of phone conversations between JBW and I some years back(before and after OEF VII). Young punk ass STA Marine's idea...gimme a break
And Happy Belated to all my Marine brothers, and Happy Veteran's Day to the rest of the ones who served!

I just got off the phone with USO and changed my order to blue.
I psyched to try it out. It looks awesome!
Trav

Can colors be changed in old style rheostats? I ran my green at Rifles Only's night shoot this weekend and wished like heck it was red like my others, but I'd dig trying a blue!

JBW3-you know help for the SAR show is but a phone call away!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys,

Here is a picture of the new blue LED that we are now offering. Thanks to the Marines from 1/5 STA for the idea.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL763/13377377/23831885/399412788.jpg

Jason </div></div>
If you also take ideas from non-marines, how about an RGB LED that users can set a color on themselves?
If not technically feasible, how so? Battery life? Not enough room for buttons?

I would send my green lit back for a change to blue too. I love blue light, especially at night or in the dark when red hurts and green is also bright, but not nearly as so as red. I remember seeing that Circle Chevron in my eyes for about two or so minutes after looking through it at night during OEF VII. It was kinda cool, imagining I had a reticle in my eye but only for a minute until it went green then died off

Hmm, wonder if my SN3 in the works is too far along to go blue. Perhaps a call will be made this week...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can colors be changed in old style rheostats? I ran my green at Rifles Only's night shoot this weekend and wished like heck it was red like my others, but I'd dig trying a blue!

JBW3-you know help for the SAR show is but a phone call away! </div></div>

+1 - also interested in this answer, especially since I was going to update to the new pushbutton from the old pushbutton.

The blue does look good ~ who knows maybe some day technology can figure out how to have multiple colors of reticles that are switchable.
crazy.gif

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Red is probably best. It preserves night vision of the human eye. </span>

That is what I was going to write and express my thoughts to reinforce that view. It has been a while since studying the physics of optics although, A little research yielded the following.

Interesting but beware, the term night vision is used in a different context:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Night vision also has constraints: your night eye can't see colours or details, or directly ahead, or differentiate objects that don't move.

For night vision in the pilothouse, switch lighting between daytime white and night-time green or turquoise instead of the traditional red. Turquoise may be better for men with red/green deficiency.

Red (630 nm) is an internationally recognized attention colour traditionally favoured for its excellent ability to preserve night vision. However, red erases red lines that indicate hazards or danger on aeronautical and military maps and charts.

Today most pilots and the military have switched to other colours for night vision protection. Green is now the established colour. It is used in the 2004 Daimler-Chrysler 300C. Green is also great for retaining night vision, and it is easier on the eyes.

However, there appears to be a slow transition to blue. The military is using blue over red increasingly. Blue eliminates many colours on maps and charts, changing everything to shades of a bluish-grey. Blue is also a great reading light. It imposes less eye strain than incandescent, especially for ageing eyes. Turquoise (495 nm) appears slightly brighter than blue. Turquoise is an excellent alternative to red for night vision preservation.

Current literature on night vision recommends:

•Blue-green (507 nm) for the fastest dark adaptation recovery
•Deep red (around 700 nm) at very low intensity for maximum detail
•White at low intensity if you need to see colours"</div></div>
Source:
http://bluewater-trawlers.blogspot.com/

AnschutzNerd

It is very unlike me to criticize, but blue illumination is a very bad idea. Very hard for the eye to focus on blue lettering in the dark. Back at home in NY, Nassau University Medical Center on Hempstead Tpke has a very big lit sign on the side of the building in blue; from what I can recall, I think it says 'NUMC'. At night, I kid you not, I can barely read the letters; the blue lighting blurs the shit out of them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is very unlike me to criticize, but blue illumination is a very bad idea. Very hard for the eye to focus on blue lettering in the dark. </div></div>
That is why airport lights on the ground, which guide pilots to the terminal upon landing, are blue.

It also explains why the sky is blue. Really. Blue scatters in our humid atmosphere and our war fighters are telling USO it has less IR signature. 100-years ago, a Physicist named Rayleigh noticed the same thing.

rayle.gif

Trying to get to 100-posts. Obviously.

AnschutzNerd

I was under the impression that blue was actually harder for the eye to focus on because the wavelength falls short in the focusing mechanisms of the eye. This is why eye Dr's advise against blue tinted sunglasses. Personally I couldnt even begin to debate it either way but this was what I was told by someone knowledgable on the subject. My personal pref is for green.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is very unlike me to criticize, but blue illumination is a very bad idea. Very hard for the eye to focus on blue lettering in the dark. </div></div>
That is why airport lights on the ground, which guide pilots to the terminal upon landing, are blue.

It also explains why the sky is blue. Really. Blue scatters in our humid atmosphere and our war fighters are telling USO it has less IR signature. 100-years ago, a Physicist named Rayleigh noticed the same thing.

rayle.gif

Trying to get to 100-posts. Obviously.

AnschutzNerd
</div></div>

Yeah, the lights are blue, but you don't need to focus on the lights to steer a plane on the ground. Look, if you want to take the pepsi challenge, look at a sign in illuminated dark blue lettering, just like the new USO reticle, and you tell me how easy it is to read compared to other colors. Your example of Rayleigh equation has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. You are trying way too hard searching for scientific evidence to justify your clearly evident worshipping of US Optics.

These last two guys are right. This is not a good thing. Blue light is harder to focus, causes eye fatigue, and in some cases can actually be dangerous.

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/hazard.html

http://texyt.com/bright+blue+leds+annoyance+health+risks

Concerns over the possible hazards of blue light, which are near the UV portion of the light spectrum prompted the SLTBR to hold a special "Symposium on Safety Issues in the Use of Blue Light" at their 2005 Annual Meeting held in the Netherlands.
Cautionary Statements From The Literature

The following are quotes from medical journals and scholastic publications.

". . . continuous exposure to blue light is potentially dangerous to vision." Koide R, Ueda TN, Dawson WW, Hope GM, Ellis A, Somuelson D, Ueda T, Iwabuchi S, Fukuda S, Matsuishi M, Yasuhara H, Ozawa T, Armstrong D. Nippon. Retinal hazard from blue light emitting diode. Ganka Gakkai Zasshi. 2001 Oct;105(10):687-95.

". . . high levels of exposure to blue or visible light may cause ocular damage, especially later in life, and may be related to the development of age-related macular degeneration." Taylor HR, West S, Munoz B, Rosenthal FS, Bressler SB, and Bressler NM. The Long Term Effects of Visible Light on the Eye. Archives of Ophthalmology 1992; 110:99-104.

"I think chronic blue light is probably damaging." Joshua Dunaief, MD, in Bethke W. Should We Block The Blue. Review of Ophthalmology Oct 15 2003; 10(10).

"The high-energy segment of the visible region (400-500 nm) is enormously more hazardous than the low energy portion (from 500-700 nm)." Young RW. Solar Radiation and Age Related Macular Degeneration. Survey of Ophthalmology 1988; 32(4): 252-269.

"Visible light of short wavelength (blue light) may cause a photochemical injury to the retina, called photoretinitis or blue-light hazard." Okuno T, Saito H, Ojima Evaluation of blue-light hazards from various light sources. J. Dev Ophthalmol. 2002;35:104-12.

"[The] Action spectrum for blue-light induced [retinal] damage shows a maximum at 400 nm and 450 nm." Bartlett H, Eperjesi F. A randomized controlled trial investigating the effect of nutritional supplementation on visual function in normal, and age-related macular disease affected eyes: design and methodology. Nutrition Journal 2003, 2:12.

This is also a textbook example of end-users thinking they want something, but not actually knowing what they're asking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are trying way too hard searching for scientific evidence to justify your clearly evident worshipping of US Optics. </div></div>
Worship, huh?

Who knew. I actually think green on the lowest power setting would be best but, thanks for the conjecture.

AnschutzNerd

I am personally shocked this hasn't happened sooner...red & green being the prime culprits of problems due to color blindness...and amber being, well, amber.

If spec op guys say that blue has less IR signature, and allows them to stay more hidden in the field, then good for them. But I don't understand the mentality of a civilian going out of his way to get this reticle, simply because the "high speed" guys are using it. Whatever guys, knock yourselves out. Use a blurry reticle. Oh, yeah like most of you are gonna spend a lot of time shooting with illumination anyways.

my new uso on order will have the blue color. i will let yall know how it is when i recieve it. i have a trijicon spectrum i have owned for 20 years and it has 4 different colors when hunting and it is last light and the black crosshairs disappear the green is the best hands down by far. better than red yellow orange.