• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New boy to reloading for a .204

cr4zy3y3s

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
Uk. Somerset
Hi fellas I have a variation going through for a new rifle .204 and with this being my 1st personally owned centre fire (away from the forces) I have decided to try my hand at reloading,
Now I am aware certain aspects of reloading need to be adhered to in order maintain safety and that the kit ( lee is what I am looking to purchase ) needs to be of good quality.

I have zero Experiance in reloading and especially with the .204 caliber so id be hugely grateful if anyone owns a .204 and reloads it accordingly but also would be kind enough to share with me their findings and what is working for you.

If anyone can help with advice tips data etc I would be extremely grateful

Atvbr

Max...

Re: New boy to reloading for a .204

Hello , and welcome to the world of reloading.

One advice I can tell you is you are in a great forum ,

Now I was under the impression that the las 4 years in reloading I knew enough of reloading to keep me going. BOY WAS I WRONG , after I read every section on the sticky side of reloading on this forum I found out I was not doing quite right.

COPY and PASTE & print all that it is like a reloading bible. Read it ,read it and Yes read it again . And when you think you fully understand all , READ IT AGAIN.

NOW ON THAT 204 I reload for it and one thing you need to know is do your self a favor , put away any sizing lube you may have and order a jar of , Imperial was or royal wax.
This little case don't like to be resize , to much or to little lube will be putting your reloading on hold.

Man you will be hooked on this.
Nothing better than making your own ammo and see it fly and making a mickey mouse

I found that the 204 is the best small varmint round out there. It is very easy to reload. I have had great results with R-15 and Winchester 748 (for the Dillon) using 40gr bullets. Benchmark powder was good for the 32gr bullets. The 40gr bullets seemed to have slightly better terminal ballistics.

Good luck Good shooting . . .

I found that the 204 is the best small varmint round out there. It is very easy to reload. I have had great results with R-15 and Winchester 748 (for the Dillon) using 40gr bullets. Benchmark powder was good for the 32gr bullets. The 40gr bullets seemed to have slightly better terminal ballistics.

Good luck Good shooting . . .

I have had a .204 for about 1 1/2 year now han finding a good load for it is easy, i use both the hornady 32 and 40 gr with 8208 powder and made some good its at 911 yds with the 40 gr in zero wind. recoil is nonexistant and this sucker shoot flat and fast.
great little round indeed.

You will love this round.I have owned 3 rifles in this caliber and love being able to see the hits through the scope due to low recoil.

Every rifle I have fooled with varies on if they like 32 or 40 grain bullets but I have always opted to stay with the 32 grainers myself. There is a site called 204ruger.com that will give you load testimonies from all over the world. Personally, I have found H4895 and H322 to be the most consistant from rifle to rifle.

I know we all like to be proud of our reloads and can most always make them shoot better than any factory ammo ever could (definitely cheaper too). But there is an exception here with this caliber as the Hornady factory ammo is hard to duplicate as it gets 4,100FPS (32G) and shoots lights out!

Thank you gentlemen, my local RFD has a reloading center within it and has offerd to help me out with learning the craft of reloading, they are also hornady dealers and have informed me they will be getting the ammo in so thats a good start lol.

cheers fellas especially for the powder type info.

regards

max...

Hi Guys.

Im Getting a 204 ruger and will be reloading too. My question is if I want to be able to shoot 39GR Sierra Blitzkings what are some good powders for this?

I will be getting it in the SAKO 85 Varmint.

Any tips for load data? Im going to fireform my brass first, then reload for 39gr and see what groups i can do with 4 different weights for powder.

Any advice would be appreciated
smile.gif

My CZ 527 .204 Varmint with 1:12" twist really likes the BenchMark and Sierra 32gr. BK. also, does good with REL.10X. Just be careful and have fun!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recarga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello , and welcome to the world of reloading.

One advice I can tell you is you are in a great forum ,

Now I was under the impression that the las 4 years in reloading I knew enough of reloading to keep me going. BOY WAS I WRONG , after I read every section on the sticky side of reloading on this forum I found out I was not doing quite right.

COPY and PASTE & print all that it is like a reloading bible. Read it ,read it and Yes read it again . And when you think you fully understand all , READ IT AGAIN.

NOW ON THAT 204 I reload for it and one thing you need to know is do your self a favor , put away any sizing lube you may have and order a jar of , Imperial was or royal wax.
This little case don't like to be resize , to much or to little lube will be putting your reloading on hold.

Man you will be hooked on this.
Nothing better than making your own ammo and see it fly and making a mickey mouse
</div></div> I've been using Unique with good results is that similar to the Imperial?
smile.gif