• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Brand Using Schott Glass sub $1000 ?

bronco_buster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
OH
I was told last weekend that there was a new brand of tactical scope using Schott glass in the $700 -$1000 range. My buddy couldn't recall brand, and I can't find anything with searches. I know the into is sketchy, but he usually knows his shit...any ideas??

Thanks.

Re: New Brand Using Schott Glass sub $1000 ?

Just so you know, just because the glass is made by a specific manufacture, will not mean its is uber-glass. All glass manufactures, even Schott, make different levels of lenses. And that means different coatings as well. All of these things cost money. Does that mean that a new mid-price scope doesn't have a chance of having decent glass? Not at all. Just be aware of the facts.

It would be interesting to see another option in that price range. However, that being said there are already some fantastic options, especially if you buy used, that are on the market ready to go. How much different and or better can another optic be from the pack inside that price range?

Now a real deal changer would be a NF 5.5-22x50 F1.

Glass isn't the most important thing in a scope. The repeatable/reliable tracking is. You can see a target with almost any glass but if your scope doesn't dial where you need it to repeatably then you have an expensive monocular.

Hopefully they didn't blow their wad on glass and go cheap where it counts.

Great responses by Rob01 and billyburl2...
smile.gif

In the optics world, be aware of scopes with lots of features and cheap price. If you want quality build, good tracking and glass you cannot have all the extras at an low price too.

My coffee maker, as it sits here on the kitchen counter, has Schott glass.

I wouldn't want to use it as a lens.
wink.gif

I wonder why people don't talk about which manufacturer made the aluminum for the tube, that would be about as interesting as talking about who made the glass.

So, do tubes made of american made Alcoa aluminum provide better tracking or is that norwegian Norsk Hydro stuff better?

crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told last weekend that there was a new brand of tactical scope using Schott glass in the $700 -$1000 range. My buddy couldn't recall brand, and I can't find anything with searches. I know the into is sketchy, but he usually knows his shit...any ideas??

Thanks. </div></div>

I think atn tactical scopes aare in that price range id avoid them like the plague.

as others have said glass isn't that big of a deal. give me glass on par with a bushnell elite 3200 or burris FF2, BUT with rugged rock solid tracking and turret adjustment along with a zero stop and now you are talking.

I don't think that I would want a scope in that price range that used Shott glass. To the best of my knowledge Shott doesn't make anything cheap and I don't think much budget would be left for anything but the glass at that price point. It would be a waste of glass because it would have to be imprecisely machined, poorly designed, and fall apart. Ironically, such a scope probably wouldn't even look good because image quality is so dependent on precise positioning of the lenses.

Reactions: ken226

IORs in that price range use Schott glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hopefully they didn't blow their wad on glass and go cheap where it counts. </div></div>
They wouldn't be the first company that did that with Schott glass!! Like everyone said above, glass is not the most important thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slydwz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IORs in that price range use Schott glass.</div></div>

enough said.... best reason to avoid.

He's probably talking about Minox. Good glass but can't speak of the reliability.

Like most other materials manufacturing companies Schott will have numerous tiers of quality. Just because they are using Schott glass doesn't necessarily mean they are using the "A-grade" glass, they could just be marketing the brand name and using the cheaper "C-grade" and making a lesser quality scope.

You’re probably thinking about Tract Optics

You’re probably thinking about Tract Optics

8 years..... Wow.... That is some digging.