• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build, got lots of ?

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
I am building a Savage 243AI, and thinking about putting a CDI bottom metal on it. I know nothing about these other than it takes a AICS mag. Will it work ok with the AI case? How far down will the 5 round mag hang? Is it a centerfeed or staggerfeed? I am ordering a McMillan HTG for it, do I just tell them to inlet it for a CDI? If you have any pics of a Savage with this setup, I would like to see

This is my first build here to this extent, so please tell me what you think

Savage 4.40 action
Krieger 20" varmint 8 twist
McMillan HTG
Timney Trigger
CDI botttom metal

Also I am trying to decide between a Noghtforce 3.5-15x50 or a mark 4 3.5-10x40. Is the Nightforce really worth the extra money. On the rings I found some TPS rings or should I go with the nightforce rings. Thanks and please let me know if you would change anything

Re: New build, got lots of ?

AI mags will work fine.

Nightforce is woth the money - between those two choices, the NF is a no brainer.

I've seen one set of TPS rings. They're fine, I think.

I would rethink either your barrel length, or your cartridge choice. You'll have a hard time making good use of the 243AI with a short barrel. Other, more moderate cartridges tend to run better from shorter barrels. Think 223, 6.5CM, 6.5x47, 7-08, 308 etc etc. The more overbore the cartridge, the longer the barrel it needs to achieve "good" velocity. Straight 243 really oughtta have a longer barrel than 20", and the AI version really really oughtta have more. Will you go faster than a more moderate cartridge? Yes, but you'll burn a LOT more powder in the process, get minimal gains, and wear out barrels; because velocity won't be amazing, you'll be tempted to run it HOT - which AIs tend to kinda allow. AIs don't show pressure as soon as non improved cartridges, so you'll find yourself in the 70ksi+ pressure zone, eating barrels, achieving velocities a straight 243 can hit with a moderate load with a 24-26" barrel.

But - if a sweet, low recoil 6mm trajectory from a compact rifle is your intent - th 243AI will do it. Me? I'd use a longer barrel or choose a different cartridge.

My $0.02

I understand what you are saying on the barrel length. This is going to be a hunting gun, with a little target shooting. I mainly hunt coyotes but wanted something that would be good on deer too, which is why I went with a 20" barrel, didn't want to lug around a 26". The reason for the AI is just to be different.

Thanks guys

my NF is sitting in some TPS ultra low steel rings
2 thumbs up on these rings

AS far as cal.
do you load ? if not i would shoot for 308

i like the 308 very versatile and available

Yea I load. I was thinking about doing a 308 but dont want to be using a 308 for night hunting. It's more of a yote gun than anything and a 308 is just to big for me.

Also the 4.40 is centerfeed and as far as inletting just send it to jeff.he does great work he used my rifle for the staggerfeed rifles

a243ai is a waste in a 20in barrel,the ai needs a long barrel 26 to 30 inch .i would just go with a 243 or 6mm