• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build off a .338 Win Mag

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Just got back from an Alaska moose hunt and all of us had .338 wm. All three bulls took 2-3 rounds to drop them and in some cases the bullets didn’t pass through the hide on the backside. I was pretty surprised. Shooting 225 grain Nosler partitions. I mean they did the job, but it changed my opinion on my needs for a bigger caliber long range rig.
So most of my 1,000-1,200 yard shooting is done with a medium bore caliber. I pretty much use them for medium sized game and shoot them quite a bit at steel.
I’m looking at building off my Winchester Model 70 in .338. I’m looking at caliber and build suggestions. My smith suggested a .338 Edge, but I worry a little bit about such a big caliber. I want something that can be effective on elk sized game out to 600-700 or so yards, but still be packable and lighter weight. I think whatever I do I’ll have a break installed.
Thoughts? I was also considering a 300 RUM, but I don’t like punishing recoil. I just have to hope the break will ultimately help no matter what caliber I end up with.
Thanks!

Hey Freediver111,

Awesome work on the Moose hunt! .338 Win Mag is a great caliber for that, particularly when you are in Grizzly country ha!

I also recently got back from a hunt in Northern B.C. Using a .300 PRC with 215 Bergers, I tipped over a Moose right where he was standing. Despite the excellent results, I might have preferred a slightly sturdier bullet just for the sake of being in big bear country. I was definitely covered for longer shots though (this one was only about 150 ha!).

As far as your question, I think there are two ways to go. First, I agree 100% with adding a good muzzle brake to any caliber in this class. The help in staying on target/in position is extremely worth it. Obviously make sure you've got ear plugs of some kind and plan around making sure they are in.

On to the rifle. I don't know if you hand load or shoot factory ammo, but the Hornady Precision Hunter load for the .338 Win Mag uses a 230 grain bullet with .616 G1 ballistic coefficient at 2810 from a 24" barrel (factory stats). That would pretty much cover you right away with just an ammo swap (and adding a brake). That is of course if your gun shoots it well enough and is set up to take a brake too...plus of course having a capable optic.

If you really wanted a caliber swap without going up in action size to the Lapua size, you might consider going down to a 30 cal gun shooting heavies. .300 PRC would be great here. You get a ballistic coefficient bump and a little velocity bump for long range, and still have 200+ grain bullets to do the job and keep you feeling good in bear country. No difference in action size.

Other 30 cal magnums would work as well if there is one catching your eye...especially if you don't hand load and want some more bullet selections in factory ammo. However there wouldn't be a big difference either way vs. that 230 grain Hornady load.

Anyways I think just by swapping ammo you would have an excellent and very capable rifle for large game at longer ranges in that .338 win mag. Because of that, I would definitely consider just an ammo or bullet change first to see if that gets you where you want to be.

Last note: If you don't care about the caliber being larger for Moose/Bear etc., and just want something different, there are lots of 6.5 and 7mm mags (to fit that action) that will dumpster Elk sized game at 600-700 yards. I would still prefer at least a 30 cal all things considered though.

I hope this helps and that you end up with something that best meets all of your carefully considered needs and wants! Have a good one!

Best regards,
TSean

Hey Freediver111,

Awesome work on the Moose hunt! .338 Win Mag is a great caliber for that, particularly when you are in Grizzly country ha!

I also recently got back from a hunt in Northern B.C. Using a .300 PRC with 215 Bergers, I tipped over a Moose right where he was standing. Despite the excellent results, I might have preferred a slightly sturdier bullet just for the sake of being in big bear country. I was definitely covered for longer shots though (this one was only about 150 ha!).

As far as your question, I think there are two ways to go. First, I agree 100% with adding a good muzzle brake to any caliber in this class. The help in staying on target/in position is extremely worth it. Obviously make sure you've got ear plugs of some kind and plan around making sure they are in.

On to the rifle. I don't know if you hand load or shoot factory ammo, but the Hornady Precision Hunter load for the .338 Win Mag uses a 230 grain bullet with .616 G1 ballistic coefficient at 2810 from a 24" barrel (factory stats). That would pretty much cover you right away with just an ammo swap (and adding a brake). That is of course if your gun shoots it well enough and is set up to take a brake too...plus of course having a capable optic.

If you really wanted a caliber swap without going up in action size to the Lapua size, you might consider going down to a 30 cal gun shooting heavies. .300 PRC would be great here. You get a ballistic coefficient bump and a little velocity bump for long range, and still have 200+ grain bullets to do the job and keep you feeling good in bear country. No difference in action size.

Other 30 cal magnums would work as well if there is one catching your eye...especially if you don't hand load and want some more bullet selections in factory ammo. However there wouldn't be a big difference either way vs. that 230 grain Hornady load.

Anyways I think just by swapping ammo you would have an excellent and very capable rifle for large game at longer ranges in that .338 win mag. Because of that, I would definitely consider just an ammo or bullet change first to see if that gets you where you want to be.

Last note: If you don't care about the caliber being larger for Moose/Bear etc., and just want something different, there are lots of 6.5 and 7mm mags (to fit that action) that will dumpster Elk sized game at 600-700 yards. I would still prefer at least a 30 cal all things considered though.

I hope this helps and that you end up with something that best meets all of your carefully considered needs and wants! Have a good one!

Best regards,
TSean

All good points to consider. I haven’t tried the Hornady bullets yet. I do reload, and enjoy reloading a lot. I have to admit I haven’t tinkered a ton with this .338. Mostly just tried a few bullet combos and found it liked 225 grain accubonds over some RL19 and haven’t tinkered any further.

This rifle currently has a thinner barrel and is on the short end at 22”, so MV will be lower. I was thinking about maybe a 338 RUM, but not sure if that would gain me much with a good BC bullet and longer barrel for the win mag.
Not in a rush to build though. I do want it to be on the lighter side for carrying in the elk hills and moose swamps! A break will be a must. I’m currently shooting without one and it gets annoying to shoot more than a box at a range session.