• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW BUILD

Chili47

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2011
Southern Colorado
Ok so here is what i plan to do i have 2 differnt paths i can take,
1) Savage stevens rebarrel and stockade stock.
2) Savage 12 fv and restock.
I want a heavy barrel and a-5 pattern stock,also i forgot to mention it is going to be chambered in .204 Ruger. Feedback is apreicated!

Re: NEW BUILD

Hell bent on a savage eh?

Do you have a budget or plans for the rifle? (i.e hunting, long range shooting)

.204 Ruger? Any particular reason for that caliber? I don't know anything about it so im curious as to what its used for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell bent on a savage eh?

Do you have a budget or plans for the rifle? (i.e hunting, long range shooting)

.204 Ruger? Any particular reason for that caliber? I don't know anything about it so im curious as to what its used for.</div></div>

.204 is a used mainly for varmint shooting. Its not a very good choice for anything much past 300-400 yards and that is stretching it if you as me. Others will probably disagree but there are better options to get out there further and still shoot a smaller cartridge. The only thing I like about it is you can shoot longer string with it and the barrel won't get hot as fast and the bullets are going insanely fast. Just my .02.

I built a 308 on the Stevens and have never looked back. 1/2" to 3/4" 5rd groups with handloads (recrowned factory heavy barrel).

my dad has one and i love the cartrige idk why people hate it so much, im going to be useing this gun for coyotes and pdogs so yes varmints.

i will probally go with a faster twist barrel than the stock savage too to stabilize the 50 grain VLD's

I don't get why people love remington so much and hate savage, it is rediculous that just because something does not have top sales behind it that people don't want it, there is a reason why more remintons sell, 1) stores try to sell them to you first 2) people think its cool because the military uses them 3)because there are so many brain washed people. i love savage, there is no way that a remington that cost the same as my savage can compare.

Savage Stevens 200, rebarrel with a McGowen, restock with a B&C or Choate. You'll only be $800 in and you'll have a rifle that will print groups that will make the Remutards hate on you even more.

I'd also go with a .223 or .308 instead, just my preference. And they're a lot more useful/available.

Cheers to picking the better brand, good sir!

Brian

Im going to go with the McGowen 1:10 204 ruger, stevens 200 and stockade stock. it should be a shooter i will be going with a new trigger in the near future also.

ill be shooting bergers out of it and if i decide i want to try a different cal i dont have to spend much money at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get why people love remington so much and hate savage, it is rediculous that just because something does not have top sales behind it that people don't want it, there is a reason why more remintons sell, 1) stores try to sell them to you first 2) people think its cool because the military uses them 3)<span style="font-weight: bold">because there are so many brain washed people</span>. i love savage, <span style="font-weight: bold">there is no way that a remington that cost the same as my savage can compare</span>. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Stevens 200, rebarrel with a McGowen, restock with a B&C or Choate. You'll only be $800 in and you'll have a rifle that will print groups that will make the <span style="font-weight: bold">Remutards</span> hate on you even more.

I'd also go with a .223 or .308 instead, just my preference. And they're a lot more useful/available.

Cheers to picking the better brand, good sir!

Brian </div></div>

SheKnowsYou2.jpg

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> idk why people hate it so much</div></div>

Not hate, its just another cartrige that fills the same gap as many others. Yes it is faster, but there is <span style="font-weight: bold"> nothing </span> you can do with a .204 that cant be done with any number of .22 centerfires. (.222,.223,22-250,220swift) Any one of those cartridges in the right setup will out perform the .204 at longer ranges and perhaps at less depending on the situation. Sure, I've seen the .204 pop varmints into pieces (>200yds) but so will my .223. and I can find/buy/load those anywhere, cheaper than a .204 in many cases.
So there is nothing wrong with a .204, it just fills a void already overflowing with great cartridge choices.

I have a 22-250 and i do not like the .223, It is just the best choice for me, i hand load too and have about 10,000 rounds of brass so that is not a problem.

That's a fine video, and great shooting as well. Certainly is flat, you can see that in the video. What would you suggest the max envelope is for a .204 with max load? 50VLD? (for killing varmints lets say)

And what's not to like on the .223?

Eh idk what i don't like about the .223 i think i can get better performance out of my 22-250, .300 yards is as far as i will shoot with this rifle at live animals most likely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eh idk what i don't like about the .223 i think i can get better performance out of my 22-250, .300 yards is as far as i will shoot with this rifle at live animals most likely.
</div></div>

Well of course you can get better performance out of a 22-250, but such advantages don't come for free. I hope your build turns out nice
wink.gif

I had a .204, and it was a really fun gun. Had to sell it unfortunately to fund a couple other builds I was into.

The .204 is a smoking round and should serve you well for popping varmints. The recoil, or should I say lack there of, is an added bonus too. If you end up with a 10+ pound rifle watching your rounds hit downrange is a breeze.

watching prarie dogs explode in the scope of my dads light .204 is really great,one of my favorite types of hunting.