• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Inexpensive 308 Hunting/Bench Build

USAF Ret

Saved by Grace
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2023
North Carolina
I am looking at doing an inexpensive (not cheap) 308 build. I like to have two of every caliber rifle. Usually a standard style hunting rifle and then something in a chassis, still light enough to hunt with, but heavy enough to be a bench gun. I am buying an MDT Field Stock, but hung up on the action. The following are what I am looking at. Thoughts on the good and bad of each?

1) Brownell's HOWA 20" heavy barreled action $519
2) Savage 110 Trail Hunter $452
3) Ruger American Gen II $540

Last edited:
Just stating up front that I’m fairly new to the long range world so these thoughts are just what I’ve picked up from reading this site.

Howa is a good #1 and probably what you’ll get recommended the most. It seems to be the best combo of factory performance and aftermarket upgrades

Savage gets made fun of quite a bit here but not for what most of the salvage shooters think. If you’re not going to do any PRS type events the minor flaws they may have(search the site and take some of the criticisms with a few grains of salt) shouldn’t be too much of a headache

Ruger is a good enough shooter but nothing special and lacks the aftermarket support of even the Howa

Of all the listed above I’d do Howa but honestly I’d save up for a Tikka CTR. You can make some money selling back the stock and magazine.
Or buy one used…

Reactions: Bakwa
Just stating up front that I’m fairly new to the long range world so these thoughts are just what I’ve picked up from reading this site.

Howa is a good #1 and probably what you’ll get recommended the most. It seems to be the best combo of factory performance and aftermarket upgrades

Savage gets made fun of quite a bit here but not for what most of the salvage shooters think. If you’re not going to do any PRS type events the minor flaws they may have(search the site and take some of the criticisms with a few grains of salt) shouldn’t be too much of a headache

Ruger is a good enough shooter but nothing special and lacks the aftermarket support of even the Howa
Not PRS shooting. Hunting and just shooting for fun.

Of all the listed above I’d do Howa but honestly I’d save up for a Tikka CTR. You can make some money selling back the stock and magazine.
Or buy one used…
I do have more expensive rifles. I could go out and buy a Tikka, but this is specifically a budget build. Thanks.

The savage rifle will make a good one. You will need to set the firing ping back just a little so that you can get better and more precise ignition. And you will also be able to change out your barrels.

Reactions: USAF Ret
I shoot howas and winchesters. Of your listed options, I'd definitely go howa without a doubt. They are great actions and have enough aftermarket support to do mostly anything you'd want to. I hunt, shoot prs, and plink just for fun with my howas.

Reactions: USAF Ret
The new Remington ADL Varmints are in a similar price range. They seem to have gone up a bit in the last year.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
What I was waiting for happened. I caught the HOWA barreled actions on sale and then had a 15% discount code. So, I got a 20" heavy barreled action for $425. I ended up going with an MDT Field Stock with military discount. In about $700 without glass. I have several scopes, so I should be set up after I order a pic rail. Thanks all.

Last edited:
What I was waiting for happened. I caught the HOWA barreled actions on sale and then had a 15% discount code. So, I got a 20" heavy barreled action for $425. I ended up going with an MDT Field Stock with military discount. In about $700 without glass. I have several scopes, so I should be set up after I order a pic rail. Thanks all.
You could spend $875 and get a Solus 20” .308 barreled action straight from Aero for their Memorial Day sale. You would be exponentially farther ahead than buying any factory action, especially a Howa…

But, best of luck in your build.

You could spend $875 and get a Solus 20” .308 barreled action straight from Aero for their Memorial Day sale. You would be exponentially farther ahead than buying any factory action, especially a Howa…

But, best of luck in your build.

Already a done deal and that would be awesome, but would wreck the intention of this being inexpensive. With glass, was trying to come in under $1k. I made it at about $850 with a military deal on a Riton scope.

HOWA 308 20" heavy barrel barreled action from Brownell's, MDT Field Chassis, Riton 1 Conquer 6-24x50

$850 total

308 HOWA 3.jpg

Reactions: rhsc and Modoc
A quality barrel is the most important component, not usually available in an economy production rifle. The action is secondary.
I choose the rem 700 because everyone makes aftermarket accessories for it...many in stock to purchase immediately.

Let me introduce you to Bargain Basement Betty! She ain't the prettiest girl in town, but boy can she shoot!

Marlin X7VH
.223 - 24" Heavy barrel shortened to 18", re-crowned and threaded
Stock is original, but re-enforced and filled throughout - Free floated - Bottom rail is part of interior chassis
It came with the Accutrigger
Athlon Argos 6-24x50 MOA Scope
Harris knock-off bipod
Gemtech M4-02 Suppressor (no effect on accuracy)
Green Cerakote on the barreled action and 4-color "Rubber-band" Krylon camo on the stock.
Target is with 62gr Federal GMM

Rifle $275, Barrel work $125, Scope $200, Bipod $25, Cerakote and Paint $25 - so I have about $650 + sweat equity in the gun less suppressor...

betty.jpg

betty tgt.jpg

If you feel the need to spend up to the self imposed $1K limit, an Area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake really makes shooting a .308 downright pleasurable. I did somewhat the same thing as you, building a "cheaper" .308 and picked up a Aero Solus Bravo on sale, and the muzzle brake really cut down the recoil (but certainly is louder - need to double up on muffs and plugs when shooting). Let us know how the Howa shoots!!

If you feel the need to spend up to the self imposed $1K limit, an Area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake really makes shooting a .308 downright pleasurable. I did somewhat the same thing as you, building a "cheaper" .308 and picked up a Aero Solus Bravo on sale, and the muzzle brake really cut down the recoil (but certainly is louder - need to double up on muffs and plugs when shooting). Let us know how the Howa shoots!!
I have one of those on a 280 Ackley. It is amazing. But, I am shooting a Banish 30 on it.

Reactions: ilmonster
Let me introduce you to Bargain Basement Betty! She ain't the prettiest girl in town, but boy can she shoot!

Marlin X7VH
.223 - 24" Heavy barrel shortened to 18", re-crowned and threaded
Stock is original, but re-enforced and filled throughout - Free floated - Bottom rail is part of interior chassis
It came with the Accutrigger
Athlon Argos 6-24x50 MOA Scope
Harris knock-off bipod
Gemtech M4-02 Suppressor (no effect on accuracy)
Green Cerakote on the barreled action and 4-color "Rubber-band" Krylon camo on the stock.
Target is with 62gr Federal GMM

Rifle $275, Barrel work $125, Scope $200, Bipod $25, Cerakote and Paint $25 - so I have about $650 + sweat equity in the gun less suppressor...

View attachment 8430108
View attachment 8430109
Very nice! Can't beat that at all.

Bargain Basement Betty - The back story...

At the advent of my long range accuracy endeavor, I bought an Armalite AR-50A1 because nothing is cooler than .50 BMG! I found that I would shoot about 7-10 rounds through it each trip at $4 per round for surplus ammo. I was at a gun show and saw how cheap the Marlin X7s were ($259-$299 at the time) and thought I could get lots of practice with a cheap .223. At the time I knew almost nothing about accurizing, but believed a big heavy barrel was better. I originally bought the same scope (SWFA SS 16x) and was rather disappointed in the rifle's accuracy.

Since a 24" heavy barrel is pretty unwieldly, I though I would send it off for a chop and thread job. While it was in process the stock was sitting there all lonely and I thought I would mess with it. The stock is rather like a wet noodle so I started re-enforcing it with things I had laying around including long steel bolts, a steel bar, an old weaver rail and epoxy. When I got the barreled action back the stock pressed on it so I hogged out the barrel channel. Cerakote was a must, as I tend to Cerakote every gun. After seeing a Youtube video on using rubberbands for a camo job, I dove right in.

In the end, quite accidentally, I wound up with a very accurate rifle! 10 years later, I need another safe for my long range rifles..

KW