• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Cave

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    With my team inventory growing I started getting nervous about security and my old safe was bulging at the seams, so I picked up this baby...A Browning Pro Series Tactical. Its a huge leap is storage and has a place for practically everything. Only complaint would be that safe makers never seem to factor optics into the equation. This thing can likely hold 25 rifles/shotguns and numerous pistols but mount large optics on them and you'll likely only fit 1/3 of that.

The big advantage for me is that I've been able to eliminate about 20 ammo cans worth of ammo from my closet...my old safe is now a fireproof ammo safe and the fire dept. can rest a little easier, although my LEO buddies and the local swat team are starting to wonder
    grin.gif

553-p7270001.jpg

Re: New Cave

Outstanding ! I love the extra storage on the door and very well lit which is always a problem.

I think that safe and the content would make most people envious... at least I am.

How much clearance does the Barrett between the muzzle and the shelf above?

Preston

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyScrapin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much clearance does the Barrett between the muzzle and the shelf above?

Preston </div></div>

The shelf is adjustable and I left about 1/8 to slide it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding ! I love the extra storage on the door and very well lit which is always a problem. </div></div> Yes, the lighting is great. It comes with built-in LED's. The door itself can hold 2 scoped rifles or 7 non-scoped rigs plus pockets and mouints for just about anything.

Every evening I ask the good lord for forgiveness for "being jealous of other's wordly possessions". Tonight I'll be praying extra hard. Nice setup!

One of the local safe guys had a Browning Tactical Series Mark II (the bigger one) in his shop a couple months ago. I was really admiring the safe and the features (not so much his over-inflated price which was around $3800 IIRC). I don't need another safe at this point, but if I was in the market, it would be tough to pass one up (for the right price) given the features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the local safe guys had a Browning Tactical Series Mark II (the bigger one) in his shop a couple months ago. I was really admiring the safe and the features (not so much his over-inflated price which was around $3800 IIRC). I don't need another safe at this point, but if I was in the market, it would be tough to pass one up (for the right price) given the features. </div></div>

That's the model I got but yea...$3800 is a ripoff. I paid 1/3 less for mine but due to its size/weight I had to pay $250 for delivery. Still a good price though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every evening I ask the good lord for forgiveness for "being jealous of other's wordly possessions". Tonight I'll be praying extra hard. Nice setup! </div></div>

LOL I feel ya bro. I thank the aliens daily for my good fortune by always allowing others to take a few shots with my rigs when the opportunity presents itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the model I got but yea...$3800 is a ripoff. I paid 1/3 less for mine but due to its size/weight I had to pay $250 for delivery. Still a good price though. </div></div>

$250 for delivery isn't all that bad if that included setup, etc. I have heard of guys paying more than that just for curb-side drop off (no bringing it in the house, no setup/removal of pallet/packing materials, no nothing). Hell, a guy down the road from me paid Dick's Sporting Goods something like $300 for inside delivery/setup of an el cheapo Sentry POS safe about 6mos ago!! I couldn't believe it cost that much for a 300lb "sheet metal" safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$250 for delivery isn't all that bad if that included setup, etc. </div></div>They actually prepped it in the shop and delivered it on a trailer, setup included. It went wayyyy smoother than I thought given its empty weight of 700+ lbs. They had this high-speed contraption made for lifting and moving safes and it worked really well. One thing is certain though...it would take a team of people with specialized equipment to steal this thing. You're not going to snatch it and make a quick getaway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$250 for delivery isn't all that bad if that included setup, etc. </div></div>They actually prepped it in the shop and delivered it on a trailer, setup included. It went wayyyy smoother than I thought given its empty weight of 700+ lbs. They had this high-speed contraption made for lifting and moving safes and it worked really well. One thing is certain though...it would take a team of people with specialized equipment to steal this thing. You're not going to snatch it and make a quick getaway. </div></div>

Be glad you only paid $250 - I paid around 2k for delivery and installation of my new safe/vault.

Very nice safe. I went budget and picked up a bighorn safe(840 pounds) I've been trying to find some door storage like yours. I also picked it up and delivered it myself. Thank god for hardwood floors. I took off the door with my floor jack(it wouldnt fit through my bedroom doorway with the safe door on)And put the safe on a moving blanket and slid it down the hallway into my room. It was a lot of work, but doable with help from two friends. We loaded it in the back of my grand Cherokee. Which was a tight squeeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be glad you only paid $250 - I paid around 2k for delivery and installation of my new safe/vault. </div></div>

I was actually pissed about the $250. Not any more I suppose LOL

I'm at the point of looking but can't decide on exactly which one that I want. As much as I despise Gander Mountain and their customer service, they have some pretty good deals. With the experiences that I have had with them, I can't help but wonder if their fire proof safe will somehow set my house one fire.

I really like that safe.. I have been looking at these..Now I think I will go get one, my current safe is gettin small

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be glad you only paid $250 - I paid around 2k for delivery and installation of my new safe/vault. </div></div>

I was actually pissed about the $250. Not any more I suppose LOL </div></div>

6100 lbs for this one...
    DSC05618.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6100 lbs for this one...</div></div>

Well I think we now know where Jimmy Hoffa is stashed
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6100 lbs for this one...</div></div>

Well I think we now know where Jimmy Hoffa is stashed
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

It's actually where I keep my NIB Star Wars toys - those AT-ATs take up a lot of room...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6100 lbs for this one...</div></div>

NICE! I always wanted a safe that weighs more than my truck!!
    wink.gif

Hope for your sake that you never have to move the beast in the future.

Smokin' set up. That is much nicer than the ~$699 "Browning" from Sportsmans Warehouse that I bought. And 60" isn't the right height for a safe, either...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin pretty bad ass there Pops, I can't wait to come down and raid that bad boy! </div></div>Yea...like I'm giving your degenerate ass the combo
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin pretty bad ass there Pops, I can't wait to come down and raid that bad boy! </div></div>Yea...like I'm giving your degenerate ass the combo
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

We'll destroy a handle of Jack one night and you'll give it to me =]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a Zeagle Ranger BCD on top of the safe? </div></div>
    SeaQuest Black Diamond

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll destroy a handle of Jack one night and you'll give it to me =] </div></div>

Yea I'll give it to ya...bullets first
    eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich219</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is that tan colored gun in your safe on the left? </div></div>

That would be the GAP 10..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pierced Armor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice safe and good taste in BCs.

PA </div></div>
    That BC was actually given to me by SeaQuest. I taught Scuba classes for a few years after leaving the Navy and they had a program called Sea-Team. If you sold a certain amount of SQ gear they rewarded you with your choice of kit. I already had the 1st gen version of this BC and they gave me this gen II.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like that safe.. I have been looking at these..Now I think I will go get one, my current safe is gettin small </div></div>Yea a safe is something that you wont know for sure if you'll like it until after you make the leap and so far I'm very happy with it. You won't be sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a Zeagle Ranger BCD on top of the safe? </div></div>I actually always wanted a Zeagle but I did a lot of diving up in Puget Sound on the Sherrif's dive rescue team and the current there rips. The bungee system on the Zeagle float bags crunches it up into a lumpy blob which just kills your streamlining. The SQ bag compresses into a flat wing that doesn't create extra drag in swiftwater. Great BC's though...if I had my way I'd have a Zeagle harness with SQ bags.

Nice setup!

Locally, delivery as I've seen tends to run about $250-300 for most safes...unless you're having it brought out a longer distance.

I can only imagine what it would run to have a safe delivered to a ranch or cabin out in the desert or up in the mountains.

Damn that is a nice safe!!! Wish I avoided the post last thing I need is another item on the to get kit list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I avoided the post last thing I need is another item on the to get kit list </div></div>

I made the mistake of stopping by a gun shop to kill a little time between jobs and this safe is the result.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a front shot. Pretty stout beast...

554-p7270023.jpg
    </div></div>

These are rock solid safes. My buddy has the same one. They look great as well.

Is that a Ziegle BC on top?

Are you concerned about someone seriously entering your house and breaking into the safe? Is security actaully why you purchased the safe? Did you bolt it to the floor? Looking at the way you have positioned the safe in the room, you left plently of room for a prybar to go to work on the door seam. If you were to put the safe's back against the wall on the right, you've blocked the the angle of prybar attack with the wall. None of this matters, if it in not bolted down, because the jackals will just tip Lil Bessie over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bosshoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you concerned about someone seriously entering your house and breaking into the safe? Is security actaully why you purchased the safe? Did you bolt it to the floor? Looking at the way you have positioned the safe in the room, you left plently of room for a prybar to go to work on the door seam. If you were to put the safe's back against the wall on the right, you've blocked the the angle of prybar attack with the wall. None of this matters, if it in not bolted down, because the jackals will just tip Lil Bessie over. </div></div>
    No. Not any more.

I purchased the safe because I needed a bigger one. Would have been dumb to also not get a better one.

Yes

If someone can pry that door open before my alarm brings the law, my dogs have angry sex with them, my neighbors shoot them, or I make it home to run them over with a 7500lb dually, they obviously can have whatever is in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bosshoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you concerned about someone seriously entering your house and breaking into the safe? Is security actaully why you purchased the safe? Did you bolt it to the floor? Looking at the way you have positioned the safe in the room, you left plently of room for a prybar to go to work on the door seam. If you were to put the safe's back against the wall on the right, you've blocked the the angle of prybar attack with the wall. None of this matters, if it in not bolted down, because the jackals will just tip Lil Bessie over. </div></div>

If you actually think a crowbar will do anything to that safe's door..... you are CrAzY!!!

An angle grinder and pry bar (talking about the big wrecking bars, not the little nail pullers) will open 99% of the Residential Security Container rates safes out there.

It's not until you get into the commercial safes that you can exclude a prybar attack from your worries. However you better have a concrete slab to set them on because they weigh more than most SUV's.

My safe is just to slow them down long enough for the cavalry to arrive.

A pry bar won't work on this thing at all. If there was one with a thin enough blade to fit in the door gap it would snap like a twig. Grinder and a torch...sure but burglers aren't into making noise, burning the building down around themselves, or sticking around long enough to get something like this open.

Your best bet to get away with the contents of a residential safe is to simply steal the safe and open it somewhere with the tools and facilities needed to breech it. Given a empty weight of 725 this thing likely pushes 1K loaded with gear so even if it weren't bolted to a slab, you'd have to tip it towards yourself but you'd better wave bye-bye if you're not fast enough to get out of its way.

Then there's the stunt of getting it out of the building...I had to remove doors to get it in so you're looking at the same drill to get it out. Then once out you'll need a method of moving a 1000lb block of steel across a sandy lot to get it into a vehicle that could carry it, all the while a 100lb Doberman named Satan is straining against a flimsy rotting 40" high fence just 2 feet away from you while sporting a big pink woodie with your name on it. Assuming of course that he just doesn't step over it or plow through it.

Security is about having layers of protection and as Lone Wolf said...its function is to merely slow them down or force them look for a softer target.

The subject of safe security was thoroughly discussed in this thread. I don't care how badass your safe is, it can still be defeated if someone really wants to. Basically a home alarm, moderate level locked and bolted safe, and good insurance are what I and many others prefer. If they want it that bad, good luck with that.

BattleAxe, nice safe. I've been wanting one of those for a while, but a larger safe is on my low priority list for now. Nice to see one in actual use and it looks like it will fit my needs exactly. Until then my rifles are just really friendly with each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A pry bar won't work on this thing at all............

Your best bet to get away with the contents of a residential safe is to simply steal the safe and open it somewhere with the tools and facilities needed to breech it.
    </div></div>

Its a nice safe and I am not going to argue with you about what it will or won't take. Just understand that investigating burglaries is part of my daily job. Residential safes are nothing but a speedbump. I say this even though that's what I keep my rifles in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a nice safe and I am not going to argue with you about what it will or won't take. Just understand that investigating burglaries is part of my daily job. Residential safes are nothing but a speedbump. I say this even though that's what I keep my rifles in. </div></div>
    I agree that its breechable...I'm not saying that it isnt but the door edge and frame opening are seriously reenforced and have a very small gap, then add to that 16 perimeter bolts. I have several different demolition bars and I'm only saying that a prybar won't work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a nice safe and I am not going to argue with you about what it will or won't take. Just understand that investigating burglaries is part of my daily job. Residential safes are nothing but a speedbump. I say this even though that's what I keep my rifles in. </div></div>
    I agree that its breechable...I'm not saying that it isnt but the door edge and frame opening are seriously reenforced and have a very small gap, then add to that 16 perimeter bolts. I have several different demolition bars and I'm only saying that a prybar won't work. </div></div>

The weak point is the body - at only 11 gauge steel. Granted it hould keep most smash and grabbers out..... Be glad most of them dont have a working knowledge of steel fabrication and cutting, otherwise all owners of a RSC would be in trouble. Plan for defense in depth and it should be fine.