• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Cheek Piece - Updated! Group Buy

Iggy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Northern California
Ok I finally got all the info together, and I got the go ahead from Lowlight to move on with this.

I have the group buy ready now until 04/18/2011. I need a total of 25 people committed to get this moving and if by 4/18 there are not enough I will refund everyone their money. I'm not making any money which is why I need everyone to pay if they want one, I can't take the risk of losing out.

Ok, so once the group buy is done they should ship out a week later after I get the spacers done.

Thanks for the enthusiasm everyone! This is really a solid cheek rest and a big thanks to XLR for having these available.

Link to group buy: http://iggyd.com/spacers/

---------------------------------------------------------------
After owning my Quad trainer in a manners stock for a while and my new GAP wearing the same dress, I wanted a light cheek piece option. Since the beginningI wanted to keep my rifle as light as possible and still have the parts that I wanted especially a specific barrel contour, which is why I didn't buy an adjustable stock to begin with. I know there are certain options out on the market, but I wasn't happy with how they looked. I know that maybe a bit taboo, but I like things to look good as well they function.

I played around with the idea of making my own, but once I looked into it, I didn't have the time to devote to a project like that. It would be fun though. I called up XLR Industries and inquired about ordering just their cheek piece. Expecting the finger for such an oddball request, they were really friendly and I ordered 2 for my stocks.

After installing them, these were the cheek pieces I was looking for. Robust, well made and fit like a glove. I mounted them using stainless hardware that I am going to paint, and I have some small fluted knobs on order to replace the nuts on the opposite side.

Here are the pics. Big thanks to XLR!

gapxlr.JPG

gapquadxlr.JPG

Re: New Cheek Piece

those look fantastic. how much were they? much better looking than karsten. how much do they weigh?

What did those cost ya. They look like the perfect solution to a cheekpiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those look fantastic. how much were they? much better looking than karsten. how much do they weigh? </div></div>

No kidding. Also, what is the internal spread between the two sides. In other words, what width of stock will it fit?

XLR, if you read this, will this be something you plan on offering as a standalone purchase?

It looks fantastic.

For a price I would feel more comfortable if you called XLR. They told me they don't normally sell them like this, but I was given the ok to post them up.

Looks like you've started a new trend. XLR might have a new product to sell.

They weigh nothing. Well not really and I didn't weight them, but the shipping box for both said 1lb. They are made from aluminum and have a rubber cheek rest.

He had a few sizes available, basically what he has on hand for his stocks. 1.6" is what my stock measured. The piece fit perfectly.

I take it that those are manners stocks.

Hello Guys, I will sell these for $25 + shipping without the hardware Iggy used. They are anodized black and have a soft rubber pad. You can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 970.985.9150 from 8-6 Mountain standard time if you have any questions.

EDIT: Weight is 3.6 ounces without hardware

What would you reccommend for hardware to stick on them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: (pink)MiST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you reccommend for hardware to stick on them? </div></div>

The rest of my chassis
grin.gif

The slots on the side are 1/4 inch. Hardware would be up to you. It would be interesting to see how the fasteners Iggy is using turns out. They look nice.

Hot damn.

Things like this are why the hide rocks. What a freaking great alternative to the very slim selection that is currently out there.

Great idea. Looks great, can't wait to see the finished project. That is a great price to. Definitely will add that to the list of shit that needs done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Guys, I will sell these for $25 + shipping without the hardware Iggy used. They are anodized black and have a soft rubber pad. You can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 970.985.9150 from 8-6 Mountain standard time if you have any questions.

EDIT: Weight is 3.6 ounces without hardware</div></div>

Kyle you are truly a class act and i can see you selling a ton of these cheekpieces and chassis. plus you are willing to custom inlet your chassis for virtually any action. you go above and beyond most manufacturers and i applaud your willingness to make things work. My buddy just got one of your chassis for his savage and i can't wait to check it out. he says it is fantastic and more adjustable than virtually any other stock he has ever used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to take the cheek piece off to remove your bolt?</div></div>

No. I spaced it so it would work. I can also fit the cleaning rod under if it's high enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Kyle you are truly a class act and i can see you selling a ton of these cheekpieces and chassis. plus you are willing to custom inlet your chassis for virtually any action. you go above and beyond most manufacturers and i applaud your willingness to make things work. My buddy just got one of your chassis for his savage and i can't wait to check it out. he says it is fantastic and more adjustable than virtually any other stock he has ever used.</div></div>

Right on. I was expecting him to tell me to take a hike when I told him if I could buy his cheek rest for another stock. Instead he helped me out and took the time to make sure it would fit the width of my stock.

Great guy, great prices and a great product!

I'll break down a list of the hardware soon and see how the new knobs are.

I shot with Iggy today and can tell you firsthand, these rests are sweet!

The thin rubber top pad is soft and warm (it was 40º when we went at it) on your cheek.

Coincidentally, I spoke to Kyle last week about using one of his buttstocks on my AR Spacegun - very helpful guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killshot44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot with Iggy today and can tell you firsthand, these rests are sweet!

The thin rubber top pad is <span style="font-weight: bold">soft and warm </span>(it was 40º when we went at it) <span style="font-weight: bold">on your cheek</span>.

Coincidentally, I spoke to Kyle last week about using one of his buttstocks on my AR Spacegun - very helpful guy. </div></div>

Sounds a bit personal
grin.gif

hey mate, they look the goods, but whats the cord wrapped around the floorplate/triger housing?

cheers jim

These look way beter than the Karsten. I can't wait to get the list of needed hardware, then I will be ordering one of these.

Simple, clever, and for $25. a steal. Got's to get one for my HTG, as it is a prettier solution to my standard 1/2" pipe insulation covered by an Uncle Mike's elastic buttstock shell holder.

Bob

Just a quick update on this. It seems as though the carriage bolts are not the best solution. Since the holes are so close together they require to be very tight to keep the cheek rest from sliping. This is not good since the stocks are hollow they could break. I talked to a local guy who is going to make me some threaded spacers that will work with the bolts the XLR provides.

He's going to work on them this week, and I will keep you all posted on the progress. I think this is going to be the best solution, and if enough people want them I can have him make a large run.

if I am not mistaken this cheek piece will work on flat sided stock
what about a curve stock won't it crush the aluminium plate of the cheek piece when the bolt are tightened
please say it wont because I like it but I am afraid it will

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canuck4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if I am not mistaken this cheek piece will work on flat sided stock
what about a curve stock won't it crush the aluminium plate of the cheek piece when the bolt are tightened
please say it wont because I like it but I am afraid it will </div></div>

Well hopefully I have a solution for that.

I went and had a local guy machine up some spacers that were 1.6" long and 3/8" in diameter with the threading for the bolts supplied by XLR. They are stainless so they should be durable for many adjustments. Right now they fit really tight. Originally I was going to bed them in with epoxy but they seem to hold fine without it.

Here are the spacers:
xlrspacers.JPG

Here is how they fit installed on the stock:
xlrsi.JPG

The cheek rest on the lowest position:
xlrlow.JPG

With the bolt all the way back on my Templar:
xlrboltback.JPG

With the bolt removed and in the cheek position about half, where I like it. You can see how a cleaning rod fits so that it doesn't need to be removed:
xlrclean.JPG

Here is how the cheek rest looks installed with the proper hardware:
xlri.JPG

xlri2.JPG

No more slipping! I have the two extra ones pictured if anyone wants to PM me for them. If there are enough people interested I talked to the guy who made them to see about making a large batch.

Re: New Cheek Piece - Updated!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Czech6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iggy. The way you have the cheek piece mounted, looks as if it would also work on an AR A2 style stock.</div></div>

If it clears the buffer tube, it should fit.

-Iggy

What was the size on those bolts that XLR sent with the cheek piece?

-Matt

Thanks man, I spoke with Kyle today and ordered a cheek piece. I will put a pic up when I get it all together.

-Matt

Got 2 cheek pieces from XLR today....
Iggy, you are brilliant!
Great fit, light, sturdy build...
the word Streamlined may best describe how it looks on a 700 LTR

XLR was accommodating as can be and a good sense of humor.

Thanks to you both
-

Tag for later.

Very innovative, looks way cool. Nice work Iggy.

A BIG +1 goes to XLR. ...Stellar business conduct

Ok guys I got a quote to make these spacers. The lowest I can get them without going to some really big quantities is $15 for the pair with extra bolts.

If any one is interested I need 25 people to get this going. I am not making any money on this just helping you all out.

If anyone is interested I'll put a group buy together. I would need to know soon.

Thanks!

Very cool!! Will these fit on a H&S Precision stock on a PSS? I've got a side gun built on a PSS stock and need a cheekpiece for.

Thanks

Strickland