• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Coyote getter ! GAP 6mm Crusader....

Sendero_Man

OMWP... the way I roll
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2007
    Buffalo, Wyoming
    montanagunslings.com
    6mm CRUSADER on a Templar Action
    Bartlein Gain Twist 1-9 ending in 1-8. 27" with Badger Brake
    Badger M5 DBM
    Manners GAT RH version, 90% shell
    Old Remington Trigger tuned to 1.5 pounds
    20 MOA base
    Seekins Rings
    NF 5.5-22x50

load for coyotes is as follows:
    105 amax at 3328 fps here at 4800 asl
    44.4 grains on RL17
    210 primer
    WIN. brass
    2.945"

GAP_6_Crusader.JPG

GAP_6mmC.JPG

GAP_Templar.JPG

GAP_brake.JPG

Re: New Coyote getter ! GAP 6mm Crusader....

Has it drawn first blood yet? very nice, you always have the cool toys.

I don't comment often on rifles but that is a Sweet looking set up!

L.

nope.... just got it broke in and now we have 10 - 12 inches of snow with HUGE drifts. might be a week or so to dry out.

I'll post up some pics ASAP with coyotes !
    grin.gif

Nice rifle. Here I thought we were privileged with the dusting we got last night, you guys got Christmas in May!

Dang Scott, that is sweet looking. How is that thumb hole working for you? I got to shoulder one a few weeks back and I think they fit well.

I imagine that's a medium load with lot's of room to push it faster.Yes/no?

You got good taste Scott!

Steve

Now you are smitten with GAP syndrome....laffin!

Dont forget to throw that in when you come up to visit....

Nice rifle!

You know, I live only 30 miles from Buffalo...I'd be happy to break it in for ya'. No charge or anything!

Yep, might be a while before you get out with it again. Been having a tough time out on the river. Looking forward to seeing some dead stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I imagine that's a medium load with lot's of room to push it faster.Yes/no?

You got good taste Scott!

Steve </div></div>

yup, just a medium one. had 'um over 3400, but was <span style="font-weight: bold">really</span> accurate at 3328!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you are smitten with GAP syndrome....laffin!

Dont forget to throw that in when you come up to visit.... </div></div>

You know I will
    grin.gif

Very Nice! cant wait to see the destruction on the yotes.
    -Felipe

Very nice. Is that the scope you picked up from Carey? I see now why you passed on the rifle. Congrats

Wow Scott, thats a nice looking rifle. Be real interested in the range report and how well you like that design of stock.

Pretty hard to beat those 6mm cartridges...

That is nice. I have been really wanting to start a 6.5 Lapua build....that 6 Crusader looks promising.

Thanks, I was just curious. It seems like it would be a nice "in between" weight.

I just got a new stick in a few weeks ago very similar to your setup. I was a little leary of the Manners GAT at first, but I am glad I went with it. It has the most natural feel and it absolutely comfortable. The Templar action is the smoothest that I have ever cycled. The rounds just feed up so smooth out of the M5 metal and mag. You are going to have a hoot with that set up burning down coyotes. I did I mention nice selection on your parts list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Copper91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that stick should work... </div></div>

That is what I am thinking.
    grin.gif
    Between it and my 6x47L... coyotes are not gonna be happy !

That should put some blood in the snow for you. She's a beauty, great choice of camo too
    wink.gif
    . Looking forward to the fur pictures.

Just curious, how's the gain twist and how hard was it to find a load?

Definitely a nice camo pattern. I'd be interest to know how many rounds the barrel lasts.

That bullet covered that distance in a hurry. That looks like one hot little coyote popper you have there. You know Tyler is going to lay claim to that bad boy. Might as well build you another now.
    grin.gif

SM, what is the benefit to the gain twist barrel? Do you feel its proper for this round?
    Would like to hear your thoughts. considering having George build me one on a Templar and T5 stock.

Info I found and was told on the gain twist.....

It is a good way to reduce chamber pressure by starting with a 1:9 and taper to a 1:8 and still be able to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets.

a gain twist might combat core slippage. When pushing big bullets fast it's possible that winding the bullet up slower may keep it in better shape. Max pressure occurs in the first inches into the lands and some will say that keeping rotational stress down at this point could help.

it changes barrel vibration pattern..... adds a component to the vibration mix which may be beneficial.

keeps the rifling "cutting or biting a new surface" all the time. I'm not sure what the benefit could be although I've heard folks quote better gas seal and others are convinced that the effect "evens out the pressure curve."