• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Crescent Custom switch barrel arrived

Re: New Crescent Custom switch barrel arrived

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has given me an idea. (May want to run. My wife does when i get ideas) I have 2 Sako TRG M995 receivers at CC right now for 2 builds. I also have all 3 bolt face sizes for those receivers. I would just need anther barrel (which is already on order with Bartlein for another build), action wrench from KRG and barrel vise and I can make both into a switch hitters with that 1 barrel.

Sound feasible?

Nice rig btw. Can't wait for mine from CC.

L </div></div>

No reason why not that I can think of.

I do basically the same thing with a old Savage 112 Series J varmint.

On that gun the recoil lug is double pinned so it goes back to the same place all the time and doesn't effect the bedding. I can change the bolt heads for different calibers and again once the barrel is threaded and chambered it's good to go. I don't use the Savage barrel nut on that gun at all. Set it up like a Rem. 700.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks Frank. Looks like I'm staying status quo though. Wife gets her .243 before I play anymore.

L

Love the added pics Rob!
So - how do they shoot?

Need to wait for my vise to try the .308 and load some ammo for the .243. Will post up results when I find a load for it.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

I keep revisting this thread & drooling over the pics, this rifle really seems to be more than the sum of it's parts
smile.gif

Whats Moons contact info?

I'm thinking about a .260 Rem switch barrel for the Sako.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need to wait for my vise to try the .308 and load some ammo for the .243. Will post up results when I find a load for it. </div></div>

Looking forward to that report. If it shoots even HALF as good as it looks it'll be 1/2 MOA!

Don't forget to flute your barrel. Took 1.2 lbs off my 27" .243 barrel.
smile.gif

IMAG0694.jpg

Don't like flutes. The weight doesn't bother me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks but the bolt is on the "right" side except for you wrong hand shooters lol </div></div>

IDK Rob, for me, the best thing about being a Lefty is all the properly engineered (& mislabeled) "RH" guns (bolt guns especially). I love being a lefty in a right handed shooting world!

Just loaded up 40 rounds of Hornady 105 BTHP with H4350 starting at 40grns up to 41.5grn in .5 grn increments to see how they do. Looking to get them as close to 3100fps as I can.

With the .243 match chamber the 105 load OAL to ogive with the bullet seated .015 off the lands is the same length as I use to load my 115 DTACs to years back. But the OAL to tip is at 2.805. Plenty of room to move out. The bullet is seated so the boat tail to body juncture is just below the shoulder to neck juncture of the brass.

Now I got to fix my chrono screens that blew over in the wind and broke a few months back. Need to get some epoxy
wink.gif

Took 42 grains out of lapua brass, 27 inch barrel, 30P-1 and seated similar to yours to get 3100 FPS so I would think 42ish should get you there.

Thanks. I was thinking around 42-42.5 would be where I would find it as that's what I used with my BN 115s and heard of others using that as well. Just anted to start a little lower to work up and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't like flutes. The weight doesn't bother me. </div></div>

Mr. Ormond, you're a beast.

Very nice set up, look forward hearing about the results.

Well got out today to test the 40-41.5grns loads with .002 and .003 neck tension. Wasn't quite getting the velocity I want yet though but I was using the older 6 times fired Win brass just to get an idea before I switched to the new Hornady brass. 40grns gave me about 2860fps and 41.5grns got me to about 3000. I am going to load up 42 and 42.5grns. If it gets me over 3050fps I will be happy.

The accuracy of all loads was .5 MOA or under except for one group which was at about .6 MOA. Considering I haven't pulled a precision rifle trigger since June I was happy with the accuracy. Here's a pic of the 40.5 to 41.5 groups. I had to shoot out of order as the grass was grown up over some of my target. I didn't shoot 40grns for group as I used it to zero and saw the velocity was too low for me anyways. The center diamonds are 1" and all are 5 shot groups.

.003 neck tension
DSCN1658.jpg

.002" neck tension
DSCN1659.jpg