• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New CZ 455 Build has Begun

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    I have a 455 Tacticool version in Boyd's stock and recently picked up a synthetic American that I've decided to build on. I ordered the DIP scope base right away and, over the last couple of days, have now ordered a Boyd's AT-One stock in Coyote color with target grip and fore end. Got word today that it has shipped. Yesterday, after a long conversation with the nice folks at F.J. Federson in Laudon, TN I ordered one of their Varmint contour threaded barrels. Not sure what Im getting here but, hopefully, it will be a good one. Still working on what trigger to get but narrowed to a Mr. Fly or Timney. As someone who has been thru the "ball-bearing hell" before I don't want to deal with it again. Is the Mr. Fly a drop-in unit or require working with that damn ball-bearing?

Barrel arrived yesterday. I clamped into the rubber jaws of my vice (not too tightly) and gave it a good cleaning with Hoppe's #9 before a scan with the bore scope. The bore looked good but I always like to hit a new barrel's throat with some J-B Bore Brite to polish it. I find that really keeps the copper and carbon build up and shortens my break-in with centerfire barrels. After a few strokes of Bore Brite another pass with the bore scope showed a very nice looking throat and bore with no tool marks; a nice job for button rifled barrels.
    The Boyd's AT-One just hit the porch so I'm headed down the shop to open that box now. Christmas in July!

OK, I got a few minutes this morning to take a really good look at the AT-One stock. The nit to pick is with the adjustable LOP and Cheek. They are somewhat difficult to move up/don or forward/rearward. Also, as you may notice, the two sides are not nearly the same pattern. I tried the action in the inlet and, to my surprise, it fit very nicely. It appeared to be snug and flush to the bottom. All the holes lined up in the right places and the floor plate inlet was just as good. Total stock price, delivered, including the target grip and fore end, came to $240.
    Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to just snug it all in and stick the barrel into the action for a couple of pics (did not install the tension screws). I will skim bed the action into the stock but not until I get the trigger, which will likely be a Timney since Mr. Fly went back out of stock before I could get it ordered.

Attachments

• photo65522.jpg
      photo65522.jpg
      100 KB · Views: 36
    • photo65523.jpg
      photo65523.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 35
    Last edited:
    Hey Shoot!

Do a search for "cz fly" or "fly trigger" on riverofguns.com. There are a couple of the Mr. Fly triggers listed on there. I find a LOT of good stuff on that site.

Hey Shoot!

Do a search for "cz fly" or "fly trigger" on riverofguns.com. There are a couple of the Mr. Fly triggers listed on there. I find a LOT of good stuff on that site.

Found a decent deal on a Mr. Fly at the CZ forum. Do most guys dial the first stage out on them? I shoot AI rifles and they all have two-stage. Also a couple of my AR's have them is I can go either way with this and be comfortable I think.

Hey Shoot!

I'm not sure about that. Check out the CZ/Brno forum at rimfirecentral.com. You can also get in touch with djdilliodon here on this site and rimfirecentral. He is the absolute guru of CZs and other super accurate rimfires.

OK. Finally got the new CZ455 out to the range today. Only scope I had to spare was a Nikon Buckmaster in 6-18x40 and target turrets. Got it zeroed quickly at 50 yards and shot some Remington subs and sorted Wolf Match Extra. The RP was so-so but the sorted Wolf shot pretty well for being a new barrel. Ten shots of a bipod came in at around 3/4" @ 50 yards; a decent start. I moved out to 100 yards and verified my data (7 MOA) on a steel plate. Then I spent a little while just popping little chips from clay birds out at 100. Very glad to see that Wolf ammo shoot well as it does in my other CZ too. All in all, I shot about 150 rounds (I was really there for another project) and I have to say I'm pretty happy with how the 455 turned out. Final components:
    F.J. Fedderson 16.25" threaded bull barrel
    Boyd's At-One stock in Coyote laminate (target fore end and pistol grip inserts)
    Mr Fly trigger
    Pete's Pillars pillar kit (Installed and bedded with Marinetex)
    DIP 20MOA scope mount
    Glades Armory extended bolt handle with Tactical knob
    YHM Stinger Suppressor

Congrats!!! They are addictive though

So true. I remember getting my first rifle from my Dad at age 9. I would work to earn enough money to walk the two miles (one way) to Western Auto to buy a box or two of Wildcats that I could shoot when we went to visit my grandparents in the country. The days of a nine year old boy buying ammunition are long gone and my Dad passed nine years ago.
    At age 63 it's been a lifelong addiction for which I have no intention of finding the cure.

OK, I got a few minutes this morning to take a really good look at the AT-One stock. The nit to pick is with the adjustable LOP and Cheek. They are somewhat difficult to move up/don or forward/rearward. Also, as you may notice, the two sides are not nearly the same pattern. I tried the action in the inlet and, to my surprise, it fit very nicely. It appeared to be snug and flush to the bottom. All the holes lined up in the right places and the floor plate inlet was just as good. Total stock price, delivered, including the target grip and fore end, came to $240.
    Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to just snug it all in and stick the barrel into the action for a couple of pics (did not install the tension screws). I will skim bed the action into the stock but not until I get the trigger, which will likely be a Timney since Mr. Fly went back out of stock before I could get it ordered.

Where did you get that stock

The stock is from Boyd's. It is the At-One.
    The stock came fully complete and the 455 dropped right in. It is a new product for Boyd's and comes with fully adjustable LOP and cheek. It also has optional oversized target fore end and pistol grip.
    All that for under $200 delivered.
    I did have to do a slight dremel job to get the Mr Fly trigger to clear but that trigger requires it on any stock.
    I did decide to do pillar bedding and Danley Precision did a great job with that.

The stock is from Boyd's. It is the At-One.
    The stock came fully complete and the 455 dropped right in. It is a new product for Boyd's and comes with fully adjustable LOP and cheek. It also has optional oversized target fore end and pistol grip.
    All that for under $200 delivered.
    I did have to do a slight dremel job to get the Mr Fly trigger to clear but that trigger requires it on any stock.
    I did decide to do pillar bedding and Danley Precision did a great job with that.

I really like that stock,I looked on Boyd's and didn't see it. I'll keep looking.
    I love my cz & so does my son.
    ​​​​​​I shot a 2.5" to 3" group with it at 200 yards ,using Ely edge ammo.
    We built a 10/22 for my son , so far I haven't found any ammo it likes. We've only tried cci and Ely so far..
    ​​​​​​

Hey there. Glad my pillar kit worked out for you. Any pics from bedding job?Those At-one stocks look pretty slick.

Hey there. Glad my pillar kit worked out for you. Any pics from bedding job?Those At-one stocks look pretty slick.
    I have had many things done by Danley Precision and have referred many others to him. His work is incredible.
    To that end, I will say that I have not even taken the action out to look at how it turned out.
    It was his first attempt and I will say there was a bit of early "head-scratching" on my part to determine which pillar fit front and which fit rear holes.