• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New duty weapon, I want your suggestions

Don't forget to accessorize!

Streamlight-Pink-Strion-LED-Tactical-Flashlight.jpg

Okay I'm in a really weird situation.

I recently received word from my company that my duty weapon was no longer approved for duty carry due to its magazine capacity. They gave me two choices, either modify my firearm to accept low capacity magazines or get a new weapon.

My current duty gun is a H&K USP with a jet funnel and I have no intention of removing the jet funnel to accommodate low capacity magazines. So I am left with only one option, to buy a new duty weapon.

This is where I would like some help, I want something screams "you should have let me carry my H&K." The limitations are that it has to be DAO or DA/SA, no revolvers allowed and the barrel length has to be between 3 and 5.5 inches, oh and sadly no hot calibers like 357 Sig or 10MM. No limitations on color thankfully so what ever I end up getting it will most likely get painted some weird and obnoxious color.

Alright, let the crazy ideas start.

p.s. please don't say that I should just modify my current weapon because it's not going to happen.

As I read your request you want us to help you select a weapon that makes you look like a Dork, so you can tell people what jerks your bosses are. If it were me I would begin looking for new employment.

Just thinking of the follow-up investigation if, God forbid, you ever have to use it.

Since your life might depend on it I'd second the Glock 22 recommendation with the addition of having it Cerakoted/dipped in hot pink or purple. Maybe camo pink to give it that tacticgay twist.

Edit: Better still....

pink-leopard-glock-gen-4.jpg

Now this is bad ass and all but I would have to say the P220 as well. I have owned a small truck load of them and have to say they are one of the most accurate pistols (non custom) I have ever owned. The P220, P225, P226 all point very well for me to boot, as do Glocks. I say get the P220 and stack up the mags...

As I read your request you want us to help you select a weapon that makes you look like a Dork, so you can tell people what jerks your bosses are. If it were me I would begin looking for new employment.
Not drying to look like a dork, just trying to annoy the policy makers somewhat, I’m pretty sure nickel or FDE would do that just fine. The hot pink suggestions while less likely to actually happen are good for a laugh and help to take my mind off of this BS.
A change of employment is in the works but I have to make sure I’m financially set before I make the change.

Just thinking of the follow-up investigation if, God forbid, you ever have to use it.
That is a concern for sure but as long as I avoid the Tactical Rhinestones or anything else overly silly I would hope I would be good. I’m sure there have been one or two officer involved shootings where the weapon the officer used had a finish other than standard blue or stainless.
In the end I prefer the gun to make the statement the color is secondary. A gun like a Walther P38 would make that statement nicely; I just don’t know where I would find a level II or higher duty holster for it.

Sig makes some great pistols but they are pretty common with my fellow officers; if I went with Sig I'd probably have to get something like a 220 scorpion TB so it stands out a bit.

Last edited:
I still think the triple load out of magazines on your body is the way to go. You can actually use it to your benefit if you play it correctly. You can justify it by stating criminals are not limited by magazine capacities and by limiting you to a lower round count they are jeopardizing your life and those you are supposed to protect and the company is assuming a huge liability should your family or the families of those killed sue the company because you didn't have enough rounds to defend yourself or the others adequately. A good lawyer could argue that your company was inadequately prepared to provide you and those involved with an adequate level of protection by limiting you to such a low round count and hence liable for all those injured/killed, etc, etc.

More importantly, choose/use a gun you are comfortable with using to defend yourself and others if thats your duty/job first and then figure out a way to beat them at their own game with the restrictions they are forcing you to comply with.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that at some point someone who makes personnel decisions might think "should a guy making silly protests with a gun actually be entrusted with carrying a gun at work?" Just food for thought. Especially if it is an argument you aren't going to win, it may be better to just do your job or look for other work.

I dont understand the issue. New mags/guns are limited to 15rds. Everything from before the law taking effect is grandfathered. Unless your work is buying new weapons capacity is not an issue

I appreciate that you have some contention about your employer's policy. Whatever way you choose to do what you're asking about here, such conflicts usually end badly for the little guy.

Capitulate, it's not worth getting fired over.

Your hassle isn't with your employer, it's with the numb nuts who fueled their policy. This is not about you and your employers, it's about the lawmakers and the rest of the people in your state. Situations like yours are precisely what they are hoping to create, so don't give them the satisfaction of seeing their BS forcing another gun owner out onto the street and maybe having to sell their guns to keep a roof over their heads.

Moving around in public with a Rickie Rockets sidearm prominently displayed is at least as likely to make all the rest of us gun owners look like dicks as it is your employers. If you comply, at least you'll have ample time to find more satisfactory employment. Deliberately baiting your employers is far more likely to get you canned in a most inconvenient manner, and in case you haven't noticed, being unemployed right about now could be a pretty intense experience. That's especially so if you have to tell your prospective new employers that you deliberately got yourself canned over a matter of corporate policy.

Cooler heads usually prevail.

Besides, if the last two of seventeen rounds is going to be what saves a life; that individual was screwed from the start. Think about it, taking on more individuals by yourself than there are rounds enough in your 15 round mag to subdue is a perfect example of how proper preparation prevents piss poor performance, or more succinctly put, take a moment to think before you step into the line of fire.

You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight. It's the perps who have that faith in the curving magic bullet. They learned their marksmanship from those stiffs up there on the screen where nobody uses sights, the hero always shoots from the hip, and he never misses.

Your employers (now or future) are hoping you can get the job done without spraying out a cloud of stray bullets.

Greg

Last edited:
Well if you have to change guns & you like HK pistols & you would like to make a subdued statement while being classy:

1. Get a Mark 23 and have 0.37" taken off the barrel (or get a second barrel to shorten and keep the original one as is) and you'll have one of the most bad assed pistols on your side.
2. Get a HK45 Tactical in OD or Tan, it will look great, perform well & be unique.
3. Get a P30L and dress it up a bit with red paint in the HK logo Engraving and white paint in the model number engraving, add night sights for fun.

1. Get a Mark 23 and have 0.37" taken off the barrel (or get a second barrel to shorten and keep the original one as is) and you'll have one of the most bad assed pistols on your side.

Plus you can always sell the canoe that it came with on eBay ...

Gay parades are for making statements, be an adult and either change your employer or get another handgun. I laugh to think of the miles of hoops I have to jump through just to go to work in the morning. I spend literally a hour every morning filling out permits, doing safety meetings and going over equipment and checklists. I enjoy none of it but I comply in a professional manner.

Buy another HK without the Jet Funnel...can't have too many HKs :D. But seriously...what do they mean by low capacity? Are they requiring 10rd maximum?

Seriously sad to hear about the idiocy you're dealing with though. Having a job where you have to carry and being told you have too many bullets is just insanity. Kinda like being told you need to dig a hole but your shovel is too big and you need to use a trowel instead.

Glad I don't live in that state.

--Wintermute

If I wanted to make a point about it (and probably get fired for it), I think I'd either show up to work with a Thunder .50 BMG pistol, or a 1800's pepperbox black powder revolver. I think either one of those might make a point...although again, probably not a good idea since I think they'd both end with getting fired.

--Wintermute

I think that would be considered a "hot caliber", and verboten in the OP.

For the lowly subjects, absolutely and always. But for the Great Uncle's protection details and representatives, those rules don't apply. Right? :) We have the same "double-standard" up here. It's quite surprising what 'they' carry and use, whereas those subjugated to peons are widely limited by both ours, and yours.

Just try buying parts up here, let alone firearms. I feel for the OP, I really do. The "toe the line" details are often atrocious.

Thank's for all of the suggestions.

At this point I think I'm going with an HK45 Tactical in FDE, that will still be a slightly obnoxious color without the full on absurdity of a pink pistol, and would not result in a firing or any other disciplinary action.

Thank's for all of the suggestions.

At this point I think I'm going with an HK45 Tactical in FDE, that will still be a slightly obnoxious color without the full on absurdity of a pink pistol, and would not result in a firing or any other disciplinary action.

Excellent choice, you'll be very happy with it.

How about a CZ P-09 in .40? 15 rounds in the mag. Soft shooting for a plastic pistol, and very accurate...5" groups at 100 yards.

I dont understand the issue. New mags/guns are limited to 15rds. Everything from before the law taking effect is grandfathered. Unless your work is buying new weapons capacity is not an issue

Quite possibly your bosses do not know the actual rules.

I can hear it now...

"Honey?!?? My boss says I have to buy a new gun or get fired. I don't know what I should do..."

You've got a "problem" most of us dream about!

I really don't understand the problem. From hkparts.com...

"Fits the USP Full Size 9mm/40 Firearms.

HK USP 9mm
HK USP 40 S&W Pistols.
Easy to install no gunsmith or modifications needed. Takes all Jet funnel magazines. Great for faster reloads and competition shooters. A must have if you plan on using the extended Jet Funnel magazine upgrades.

Please note: That once the jetfunnel is installed you can only use jetfunnel magazines unless you remove the jet funnel from the magwell. You can swap back and forth at will but the use of std USP magazines with the jetfunnel installed will not be possible."

Just remove the mag well. You can still use the extended mags. Or, buy another hk and leave the mag well off. Then your work gun will "match" your play gun.

Suck up your misplaced indignation.

The old adage is wrong. Squeaky wheels do not get the grease. They get replaced.