• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New(er) CPR technique

Re: New(er) CPR technique

This method was developed and adopted as the "best" method due to it's simplicity and fear of swapping fluids (i.e. for those who are too damn dumb to do breaths and compressions together) but the older method is still the better method... I've always carried a BVM just in case...

They just realized that all of us were doing this anyway. I've never stopped chest compressions for ventilation.

Not to mention, I'm sure they found out that people weren't putting their mouths on dead people anyways. You should see the stuff that comes up when you blow into someone's tummy.

we just made ccr protocol this spring. its good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we just made ccr protocol this spring. its good stuff. </div></div>

Creedence???

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNczeP33Yk0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNczeP33Yk0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They just realized that all of us were doing this anyway. I've never stopped chest compressions for ventilation.

Not to mention, I'm sure they found out that people weren't putting their mouths on dead people anyways. You should see the stuff that comes up when you blow into someone's tummy. </div></div>

I agree, I wouldn't mouth to mouth on an obviously "not going to make it" person or random stranger but I would for family/friends.

lol Continuous Compression Resuscitation at least thats what they're calling it around here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol Continuous Compression Resuscitation at least thats what they're calling it around here </div></div>

'Round here we call CCR southern rock and roll....

In the hospital we do continuous compressions. It is only away from the hospital a trained responder would do standard CPR with rescue breathing. Even then if I did not have a partner I would just do the CCR and forgo the rescue breathing.

For the record, I am an ACLS,PALS, and CPR Instructor through the American Heart Association. I have been in EMS 4 years now, 3 as a paramedic, and have been in healthcare for 6 years.....

The AHA did studies that showed that it takes approximately 15 good, quality chest compressions just to build up enough pressure to circulate the blood to the brain. That is why they upped the rate from 15:2 to 30:2. CCR has double the ressucitation rate versus normal CPR, clinical studies have shown this. Laypeople were less likely to give mouth to mouth than healthcare providers due to the lack of equipment/barrier devices. Furthermore, it is compressions that increase the chance of survival from cardiac arrest. The new CPR and ACLS changes coming out in a few months will most likely place even more emphasis on compressions, and not on ventilation, since the patient in cardiac arrest is not requiring near as much oxygen as a live pt.

In laymens terms, chest compressions for adults is what gets em back from the reaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneck medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, I am an ACLS,PALS, and CPR Instructor through the American Heart Association. I have been in EMS 4 years now, 3 as a paramedic, and have been in healthcare for 6 years.....

The AHA did studies that showed that it takes approximately 15 good, quality chest compressions just to build up enough pressure to circulate the blood to the brain. That is why they upped the rate from 15:2 to 30:2. CCR has double the resuscitation rate versus normal CPR, clinical studies have shown this. Laypeople were less likely to give mouth to mouth than healthcare providers due to the lack of equipment/barrier devices. Furthermore, it is compressions that increase the chance of survival from cardiac arrest. The new CPR and ACLS changes coming out in a few months will most likely place even more emphasis on compressions, and not on ventilation, since the patient in cardiac arrest is not requiring near as much oxygen as a live pt.

In laymens terms, chest compressions for adults is what gets em back from the reaper.</div></div>
So is the video accurate? Is that the best form and procedure? Before I set the wife and kids down to view the video I would like to know the best technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They just realized that all of us were doing this anyway. I've never stopped chest compressions for ventilation.

Not to mention, I'm sure they found out that people weren't putting their mouths on dead people anyways. You should see the stuff that comes up when you blow into someone's tummy. </div></div>

Lmao, its not yummy

If any of you aren't familiar, the processes behind a protocol change in CPR is frightening.

Simply put, changes are legally justified by showing that layperson effectiveness is increased by making the process less complicated (and more often less efficient)

One example of this is when they removed the pulse check from layperson CPR. While the average person was only correctly finding zero, insufficient or sufficient pulses about 10% of the time, few can deny that a pulse is a critical aspect for a first responder. However, by eliminating it, people were 60% more efficient.....which sounds good to the lawyers, but when your overall efficiency is low, 60% means nothing. Jumping from 10% to 16% effective isn't exactly Earth-shattering.

I knew the no-breath cpr was a long time coming. I wish I would have called it, signed it and said I told ya so, but I can't. So both here and now, i'm calling it for the next 10 years:

Foot CPR- Constant chest compressions with depth of over 3" to account for the average citizen (those 300lbs and over). You heard it here
-Pointblank 9/3/10

ABC's = already been chewed.......... They hurl, I hurl back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneck medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, I am an ACLS,PALS, and CPR Instructor through the American Heart Association. I have been in EMS 4 years now, 3 as a paramedic, and have been in healthcare for 6 years.....

The AHA did studies that showed that it takes approximately 15 good, quality chest compressions just to build up enough pressure to circulate the blood to the brain. That is why they upped the rate from 15:2 to 30:2. CCR has double the resuscitation rate versus normal CPR, clinical studies have shown this. Laypeople were less likely to give mouth to mouth than healthcare providers due to the lack of equipment/barrier devices. Furthermore, it is compressions that increase the chance of survival from cardiac arrest. The new CPR and ACLS changes coming out in a few months will most likely place even more emphasis on compressions, and not on ventilation, since the patient in cardiac arrest is not requiring near as much oxygen as a live pt.

In laymens terms, chest compressions for adults is what gets em back from the reaper.</div></div>
So is the video accurate? Is that the best form and procedure? Before I set the wife and kids down to view the video I would like to know the best technique. </div></div>

It is accurate. If fact, if you ever study Human Anatomy or Physiology you will learn that the way we breath is by creating a partial vacuum in our chest wall. This happens several ways. 1; You intercostal muscles that connect in between your ribs contract to bring your rib cage 'up and out', which creates more space in your thoracic cavity and forces air into your lungs. 2; during heavy, or forced repiration (exercise) muscles that lie underneath the intercostal muscles contract forcing your ribs downward and inward. This is called, 'forced exhalation'.3; The diaphragm also plays a role when it contract downwad toward your abdomen, again, creating a partial vacuum. At least this is what I remember off the top of my head. Someone more knowledgeable than me please correct me if Im wrong.

Basically, it makes sense that compressions would be more effective because you are putting that ability to make a vacuum effect to work. I think that one day it will might be taught to just to constant chest compressions. But as someone said above, the legality issues behind it are probably a big hurdle to pass.

My department switched to 30 to 2 compressions and have had many more field saves in the last year.It seems like it is rare to not have a field save these days. Our cpr instructor said next year it will be 60 to 2, we are all going to be fighting over the BVM(bag valve mask)!!! Children two person proffesional rescuer is still 15 to 2 (probably because children are more likely to have a respiratory emergency-choking, than a cardiac ).
We do not do continous compressions until an ET tube is in place.

Love PSA's like this, thanks for posting. Although by not taking off the shirt, you miss those that have "DNR" tattooed on their chests.

For those with a high-risk loved one, Phillips has brought down the cost of their simplest AED to under $1300 - you can purchase at Costco or Drugstore.com; I remember back when you couldn't touch one for under 4K.

I was good with it until the doc suggested the Bee Gees. Probably contract AIDS.

My wife's a primary care physician. She told me the rationale for the constant compression method is that the blood has enough oxygen in it, you just need to make sure it keeps circulating. Compression moves blood which oxygenates the brain. Failure to provide adequate compression (either quantity or rhythm) is lethal due to failure to move the blood (target rate is 100 bpm hence the suggestion of "Stayin' Alive")